Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So.... had my first tyre blowout....

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Tyres lose pressure. If you want to know why, look at a bunch of party balloons the morning after a wedding. Some are half flat. Because rubber is porous, and loses pressure. Some tyres are worse than others.
    Technically true, but closer to bullshit. I believe the average figure for air permeation through tyres is 0.067psi per week, or 1psi every 15 weeks. Any more than that is an integrity problem, not a permeation problem.

Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    The only way to have the correct tyre pressure is to check it frequently.
    Now that's true.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Unless you're trying to shave seconds off your Coro Loop or Akoroa GP times, exact figures are a load of shit.

Ball park figures are all that are required for conservative riding.

Bike
    XR650R
    I had a fast deflating front tyre puncture on a xr500, it went flat while I went down a 400mtr straight downwards incline leading to a moderate corner (tarseal) as I flicked the bike over into the corner at approx 100kph, I felt the odd sensation of the tyre trying to fall off the rim, even remember the sound of the rim scrapping the tarmac , just before I slammed shoulder first into the tarseal, lost a fair bit of skin that day as I only had track pants and a short sleeved shirt, + sunnies , but no helmet, even skinned my back around the shoulder blades,
    no thought of consequences when I was young ...

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Technically true, but closer to bullshit.
    I hear you. I use that story merely to highlight a point.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporary-Kiwi View Post
    I had a fast deflating front tyre puncture on a xr500, it went flat while I went down a 400mtr straight downwards incline leading to a moderate corner (tarseal) as I flicked the bike over into the corner at approx 100kph, I felt the odd sensation of the tyre trying to fall off the rim, even remember the sound of the rim scrapping the tarmac , just before I slammed shoulder first into the tarseal, lost a fair bit of skin that day as I only had track pants and a short sleeved shirt, + sunnies , but no helmet, even skinned my back around the shoulder blades,
    no thought of consequences when I was young ...
    Your story reminded me of a vivid memory although totally different as the tyre didn't go flat and was the rear but it must have been 1980 coming down from Wrights Hill mx track area I was dubbing a mate, neither of us were wearing and helmets let alone long sleeves I decided last minute to turn left , an off camber corner- and I felt the suspension compress and the hugely square tyre roll over like it wanted to peel off, we did a great broadside, as they were called back then. Pretty cool.

Somehow I didn't crash into the parked cars and I peddled off both maniacally laughing at our fortune and my stupidity. But that's 12 yr Olds for you.

The suspension bike was American import that I think came with a fake engine before I got it. Was very badly made and too heavy. Well ahead of its time though.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post

The suspension bike was American import that I think came with a fake engine before I got it. Was very badly made and too heavy. Well ahead of its time though.
    Harleys are ahead of their time?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Well not now but some of those Boardtrack racers were. Or was it the Indians?

But not since then.

Bike
    husaberg
    Well not now but some of those Boardtrack racers were. Or was it the Indians?

But not since then.
    For some time in the 90's they lead the world in turning recycled woks into profit.
    They also were pretty awesome at turning hydrocarbons into potato potato noises rather than HP
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Years ago, touring in Ireland, had a blowout on my Laverda, two up with luggage. Scary! Lucky it was the rear wheel! Nowadays the tyres are so much better, I haven't met anyone who has suffered one for more than twenty years...
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Years ago, touring in Ireland, had a blowout on my Laverda, two up with luggage. Scary! Lucky it was the rear wheel! Nowadays the tyres are so much better, I haven't met anyone who has suffered one for more than twenty years...
    Yeah, these days is usually only caused by completely ignoring a known problem for an extended period.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Inner tubes had a lot to answer for.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Yeah, these days is usually only caused by completely ignoring a known problem for an extended period.
    That's what a car is for

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    That's what a car is for
    Company cars particularly.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    bike sold :-(
    Inner tubes had a lot to answer for.
    so do cold chisels left laying in the road, as can be seen by the attached picture straight trough the rear tyre of my then CBR900 and then exited out through the rim instant blowout.

Murphy's law was operating at its most perverse when this happened, not just the cold chisel through the tyre and wheel but it also happen in the worst possible place. The crest of the Auckland harbour bridge at 8.30am on Monday morning. thank goodness for advance rider training that I had done as this allowed me to control the bike with an instantly flat rear tyre. Remained upright so at least i didn't have to add falling off to my collection of woes on that Monday morning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Andrew's Wheel.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	712.7 KB 
ID:	341206

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Whoa! That is a serious hole dude! Also lucky in the rear not the front, well done for keeping it up!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Thread Information