Advertise with Kiwi Biker
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 45 of 45

Thread: So.... had my first tyre blowout....

  1. #31
    Join Date
    25th March 2004 - 17:22
    Bike
    RZ496/Street Triple R/GasGas/ etc etc
    Location
    Wellington. . ok the hutt
    Posts
    16,481
    That is freaky shit right there
    I've been told. Dreaming`s free.
    Think I'll go, back to sleep.
    Everybody listen, voices in my head
    Everybody listen, do yours say, what mine says?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    28th January 2015 - 16:17
    Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Location
    Lower Hutt
    Posts
    1,050
    Damn that's a worry. Good on you for keeping the bike upright!

  3. #33
    Join Date
    16th July 2018 - 02:38
    Bike
    CX500
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    That is freaky shit right there
    Yea I certainly don't recommend it.

    0 out of 10, wouldn't do again.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    25th March 2004 - 17:22
    Bike
    RZ496/Street Triple R/GasGas/ etc etc
    Location
    Wellington. . ok the hutt
    Posts
    16,481
    Clearly I was talking about the cold chisel incident.
    I've been told. Dreaming`s free.
    Think I'll go, back to sleep.
    Everybody listen, voices in my head
    Everybody listen, do yours say, what mine says?

  5. #35
    Join Date
    16th July 2018 - 02:38
    Bike
    CX500
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Clearly I was talking about the cold chisel incident.
    Well ex-fucking-cuse me princess.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    6th January 2009 - 12:17
    Bike
    Dont have one now
    Location
    New Plymouth
    Posts
    1,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresh Oats View Post
    My own stupid stupid stupid fault. I knew the tyre pressure was getting low, I was meaning to check it. I could even feel it slipping when going around corners so I had a conscious decision that today was going to be the day.
    Complete forgot, nek minute *boom* followed by a hefty fishtail on a near-300kg bike through an intersection up a hill.

    I've been riding 60km twice a day every week day for the last 3 and a bit weeks for work on that new 110km expressway out of Hamilton. Fuck me, if it happened even 5 minutes earlier I would have been going like 130ish. I don't know what a blowout at 130 looks like (I didn't entirely have on all my protective gear either), but I don't imagine it's very fun. Because 50ish wasn't very fun.

    Point being, please check your tyre pressure.
    Talk about a wake up call.


    queue all the old people ramblings about these "youngster millennial yobo's on their hipster racers not taking proper care of their bikes"
    The only reason for low tyre pressures is a puncture or laziness.
    Yours was laziness....so no excuse. Get your shit together before it costs you more than a tyre

  7. #37
    Join Date
    9th May 2008 - 21:23
    Bike
    2013 Busa 2013 FJR1300
    Location
    Northern Waikato
    Posts
    2,315
    Quote Originally Posted by skippa1 View Post
    The only reason for low tyre pressures is a puncture or laziness.
    Yours was laziness....so no excuse. Get your shit together before it costs you more than a tyre
    Try instructing/licence testing as we do a basic bike check prior to rolling out.
    I ask a chap what his rear tyre pressure should be. Answer is 38 psi.
    Pointed out bulge and asked when did you last check pressure? Yesterday he says.
    Out comes my pressure gauge, tyre reads 21 psi.
    Checked yesterday? Yeah right...
    If the words I say offend you, imagine the ones I keep to myself...

  8. #38
    Join Date
    25th March 2004 - 17:22
    Bike
    RZ496/Street Triple R/GasGas/ etc etc
    Location
    Wellington. . ok the hutt
    Posts
    16,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresh Oats View Post
    Well ex-fucking-cuse me princess.
    It. Put. A . Hole. In. His. Rim.

    Yours was just stupidity. Hey I considered responding first reply but decided to just let you be.

    But that chisel story was actually something.
    I've been told. Dreaming`s free.
    Think I'll go, back to sleep.
    Everybody listen, voices in my head
    Everybody listen, do yours say, what mine says?

  9. #39
    Join Date
    20th January 2010 - 14:41
    Bike
    husaberg
    Location
    The Wild Wild West
    Posts
    9,399
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    It. Put. A . Hole. In. His. Rim.

    Yours was just stupidity. Hey I considered responding first reply but decided to just let you be.

    But that chisel story was actually something.
    Dont defuse the stoush
    Its KB fighting time



    Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

  10. #40
    Join Date
    15th February 2005 - 15:34
    Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Location
    The Gates of Delirium
    Posts
    8,732
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberk View Post
    Dont defuse the stoush
    Its KB fighting time
    Until such time as someone's mean to you - at which point you'll go crying to the moderators.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    20th January 2010 - 14:41
    Bike
    husaberg
    Location
    The Wild Wild West
    Posts
    9,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Until such time as someone's mean to you - at which point you'll go crying to the moderators.
    Cool story bro. Already onto to another conspiracy, only this ones against you. One can only assume the mods must be in on it as well.
    What other reason could there ever be, as to why you keep getting sin binned, other than its my fault.



    Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

  12. #42
    Join Date
    6th May 2013 - 20:16
    Bike
    Red-shifted GT250R
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    208
    Cross fingers that never happens to me.
    Had a cord let go inside my front tyre last year. Riding this to the bike store after work was squeaky bum time.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20180213_08_55_27_Pro.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	829.6 KB 
ID:	341263

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20180213_08_54_48_Pro.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	817.2 KB 
ID:	341262

  13. #43
    Join Date
    26th September 2006 - 16:33
    Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,303
    I had a similar experience about 11-12 years ago when I had the Virago. It had been imported form the UK about 8 years previously and, although low mileage, was still on the original tyres. My son and I were heading to a rally and were winding around the Catlins lake when the rear blew. Turned out the tyres were just plain perished. Not obvious from looking at them.

    So, if you buy a used bike with low k's, but an older model change your tyres sooner rather than later.
    "If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by candlelight." George Gobel

  14. #44
    Join Date
    8th January 2005 - 15:05
    Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Location
    New Plymouth
    Posts
    8,475
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyd View Post
    I had a similar experience about 11-12 years ago when I had the Virago. It had been imported form the UK about 8 years previously and, although low mileage, was still on the original tyres. My son and I were heading to a rally and were winding around the Catlins lake when the rear blew. Turned out the tyres were just plain perished. Not obvious from looking at them.

    So, if you buy a used bike with low k's, but an older model change your tyres sooner rather than later.
    IIRC the manufacturers say four years is the life of a tyre. On reaching that age tyres are supposed to be returned to the manufacturer for testing. Obviously geography is not our friend in this instance.

    The week and year of manufacture is written on the sidewall. This is for cars but bike tyres are the same.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...ufactured.html
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

  15. #45
    Join Date
    26th September 2006 - 16:33
    Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,303
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    IIRC the manufacturers say four years is the life of a tyre. On reaching that age tyres are supposed to be returned to the manufacturer for testing. Obviously geography is not our friend in this instance.

    The week and year of manufacture is written on the sidewall. This is for cars but bike tyres are the same.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...ufactured.html
    I guess there would be some leeway here... eg, a light cruiser used mainly for pootling as opposed to a full on sprotsbike being ridden at full noise.
    "If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by candlelight." George Gobel

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •