Thread: Good gravel/beach riding in the far Norf?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

Good gravel/beach riding in the far Norf?

We are heading up to stay in KeriKeri in a couple of weeks for a few days. Might take the ADV bikes up on the trailer and go for a ride one of the days.

Thought about 90 mile beach but the tides look wrong.

Any ideas from the locals?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2017 Triumph Tiger XCA
    There's some good gravel roads around the Puketi Forest, which is very close to Kerikeri.

And more around Peria.

If the tides work out, and you want to explore, I can highly recommend going south from Shipwreck Bay, around the rocks and onto the beaches... Take a full tank of gas, and DEFINITELY watch the tides though (unless you take a tent)...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    The west coast beaches, from the north Kaipara Head up to Maunganui Bluff are rideable although fairly flat and regular. Keep as close to the water as you can if you want a firm surface.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Tide dependant-East Beach that runs from Houhora Heads down to Rangaunu Harbour-Go in via Kamaumau Road,bit tricky at the Houhora end depending on tide-its a lovely ride over white sand with blue ocean at your side-in fact just ride up and down until you have had enough.
    I have always found 90 mile a bit boring,Aranga Beach down to Potu point is miles better but a bit far from Keri.-Maybe you should come up via the Old Russell Road and stop at The Farm,slip Mike $20 and ride all day on the various skilled tracks.-Whatever,just enjoy Northland.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Tide dependant-East Beach that runs from Houhora Heads down to Rangaunu Harbour-Go in via Kamaumau Road,bit tricky at the Houhora end depending on tide-its a lovely ride over white sand with blue ocean at your side-in fact just ride up and down until you have had enough.
    I have always found 90 mile a bit boring,Aranga Beach down to Potu point is miles better but a bit far from Keri.-Maybe you should come up via the Old Russell Road and stop at The Farm,slip Mike $20 and ride all day on the various skilled tracks.-Whatever,just enjoy Northland.
    Lol. The Farm crossed my mind. I was out their on Sunday again, rode The Graveyard, scared the crap out of me. On a trials bike. Was that you popping a minger wheelie down the straight past the entrance with big metal panniers? T'was epic.

It would be a lovely ride from Keri that way. Keri to Paihia, turn off to Waikare / Karetu, have a gravel blast, back onto the true Old Russell road for more gravel and kauris, come out at The Farm. Two or three tracks would be fine on ADV bikes with care and decent tyres.

Actually, if I were the OP, get the ferry and enjoy twisty nirvana heaven on the tarseal.

I need to do a bit of research but the gravel road after the turn off for Totara North is epic. Name escapes me but you can come out at the north end of the Mangamukas, connect with another gravel road which brings you out onto the Broadwood / Herekino road. Banjo country. Something saddle road.

Karikari peninsula is another option. Tokerau beach and Puwheke beach are accessible to ride but the sand is not as consistent as the west coast beaches. Tokerau beach should be fine but not sure about Puwheke, it's changeable.

TBH, you can't go wrong. SH10 is mildly boring but everything after Pakaraka, gravel or tar, is great fun.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2011 BMW F650GS
    [QUOTE=george formby;1131127035]
    I need to do a bit of research but the gravel road after the turn off for Totara North is epic. Name escapes me but you can come out at the north end of the Mangamukas, connect with another gravel road which brings you out onto the Broadwood / Herekino road. Banjo country. Something saddle road.

Otongaroa Road is the name that you are missing, leads onto Fern Flat Road, Kohumara Road and with very little tar seal linking you can do Paranui Road, Duncan Road, Fisher Riley Road, Mangatoetoe Road and Peria Valley Road. All dirt. How dusty do you want to get?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    [QUOTE=MarkW;1131127056]
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post

Otongaroa Road is the name that you are missing, leads onto Fern Flat Road, Kohumara Road and with very little tar seal linking you can do Paranui Road, Duncan Road, Fisher Riley Road, Mangatoetoe Road and Peria Valley Road. All dirt. How dusty do you want to get?

Poor internet connection my arse!
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post

Very dusty is good. Cheers for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Very dusty is good. Cheers for that.
    To be fair, our gravel roads are better with a bit of moisture in them. Up until recently it's been like riding on marbles. Rear wheel steering or ride slowly. If you do fancy a squirt out at The Farm, let me know. It will give you a chance to check out the terrain and may tempt you to another weekend oop norf with the KDX.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    who cares
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post

Any ideas from the locals?

Maybe not a local, but ...trying :-)

Nowhere near perfect, but here's a ~15.000km NZ ADV-route from Cape Reinga to the Catlins in maps, pics and links.
    http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6430
    Just back from another 2 weeks riding the Wairarapa to complete this little 20 year pet-project and collect material for the missing link, segment 5 of the N.I. (Woodville-> Welly)

Far North beaches here:
    http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6430

Ripiro Beach (Pouto Lighthouse to Aranga ) and Northland gravel here: (Kaipara etc)
    http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6432
    pete

Thread Information