Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast

Thread: Cook Strait Ferries Megathread

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by buggerit View Post
    Update, the above ferry was the Kaitaki.

Return trip was on the Awatere,manky rope with hooks on the end and rubber chocks , glad to have my own tiedowns with me.
    did you fill out a form noting the shit service on the awatere?

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    did you fill out a form noting the shit service on the awatere?
    Nah, got distracted chatting with an Austrian lass.
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    So old you won't care
    When we travelled with the ST1050 and the Mk2 LeMans I always carried one of those cool little straps that run between the clip-ons and tighten on themselves when pulled tight. Easiest and fastest way to tie those bikes down...

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Actually I'd like to get some bar harness doofer for fairing'd bikes.

Suggestions?

Like this?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...47dd0e376d-002
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    trip to Nelson in February past, coming back home to Wellington. One of my group was being yelled at for not positioning his bike correctly. He was trying to back it up and couldn't because one of the levers they use on the chains was stuck under his back wheel like a chock. The staff member just kept yelling at him and then started pushing on the front of the bike. The metal level shifted and was now headed directly for the cat on the bikes exhaust system, the ferry guy was shoving and shoving. I had to yell like a banshee to get his attention, pointing out they were going to trash the bike. The ferry guy looked at what was happening and just walked away, didn't come back at any point. This despite the fact he was yelling this was his "area" and we had to do what he said. Total wanker.

Another chap pulled alongside our party, he was going for broke with tiedowns. He had two on the front, two on the back and one over the seat. He had the bike on the centre stand. he cranked so hard on the front straps he pulled the bike off the stand, he was very lucky the whole thing didn't go over.

The chain system was all we had to secure our bikes. No chocks or solid points to attach to. Fine so long as it was under tension but the operators weren't interested. It seems their training was limited to "yell at the paying customers and if that doesn't work yell more and louder before walking away"
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Yep - My experience with the ferries has differed quite considerably. Some simply leave you to your own devices - I must say that simply saying that you should bring your own tie-downs has always struck me as being a cop-out by the ferry companies. You're paying them for safe passage of you and your kit.

I bring my own tie downs because, like most of us on here, I like to be in charge of what happens to my bike. However this doesn't absolve the ferry company from taking reasonable duty of care to their fee-paying customers.

Perhaps if more of us complained they'd be more inclined to do something about it. And yes I include myself in that silent majority. Perhaps it's time I made more of a fuss.

Bike
    I Ride No More

Tie Downs for a Road Bike

Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Actually I'd like to get some bar harness doofer for fairing'd bikes.

Suggestions?

Like this?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...47dd0e376d-002
    Afternoon.

If you are looking for a set of tie-downs for a roadbike (for use
    on the inter-island ferries), can I suggest that you have a look
    at the following two links:

https://aerofast.co.nz/product/motor...-bike-tiedown/

https://aerofast.co.nz/product/37mm-...wns-karabiner/

My VFR has a bar configuration similar to that shown in the first link,
    and I bought a set of the product shown within each link.

The first product spans the bar well, and avoids pressure on switchgear
    (as well as avoiding rubbing on tank and on fairings).

The second product mates with the first, simply as shown in the photo
    of the Britten in the second link.

The products are strong and well constructed (good heavy nylon), and I
    would quite happily recommend them.

Mine have been used on several ferry crossings (the Bluebridge and the
    Inter-Islander).

And they're easy to use.

Just get the machine on its sidestand, and fit the soft fitting over the
    bar grips.

Hook up the left hand karabiner to the ferry floor and to the soft fitting,
    stand your machine up vertically and then pull on and adjust the strap for
    length. It has a knurled fitting, through which you pull the nylon strap
    (in order to add or lose tension).

Put your machine back on its side stand.

Hook up the right hand karabiner to the ferry floor and to the other end
    of the soft fitting, pull your machine up to vertical and then adjust that
    strap for length.

Your machine should then stand freely, as in the Britten photo.

You can then pull down on each karabiner in turn to apply more pressure
    on the front forks.

I was going to buy another set of the karabiner pack for the rear end
    of my VFR, but MotoMart kindly donated me a set of rear tie-downs free
    of charge (surplus after unpacking one of their new Ducatis). Given their
    charge-out rate, maybe it was only fair.

Cheers.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I'll look out for some. I occasionally move fairinged bikes in my van with much wider fairings than the Britten. My RS125 fairings were so narrow that it never raised as an issue.

Oxford seem to market a similar design so might go look in local TSS. Else Tardme it is.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Alright lads, I'm taking a R3 on Bluebridge on Friday.

I'm planning on bringing 3 standard good tie downs with me, just wondering what anyones experience has been with Bluebridge? According to their helpdesk someone will be there to assist but that's easy to say sitting at a desk.

I don't have any of the fancy loop things like above but I was planning on doing the standard compress of the forks and something over the rear to keep it there. Any other recommendations? Don't want to find a fallen over R3 with some cracked fairings when I get back to the deck.

Bike
    I Ride No More

Tie-Downs on BlueBridge

Quote Originally Posted by Autech View Post

I'm planning on bringing 3 standard good tie downs with me, just wondering what anyones experience has been with Bluebridge? According to their helpdesk someone will be there to assist but that's easy to say sitting at a desk.

I don't have any of the fancy loop things like above but I was planning on doing the standard compress of the forks and something over the rear to keep it there. Any other recommendations? Don't want to find a fallen over R3 with some cracked fairings when I get back to the deck.
    Hi,
    It's been 2 years since my last crossing on the BlueBridge ferry, but from what I can remember:

- Bike parking area was over to the right-hand side after having come up the left-hand ramp.
    - The ship staff on the deck are often too busy (or dis-interested) to help, so assume that you'll be left to your own devices.
    - There were blocks available to chock the wheels. First in, first served.
    - There were welded lugs on the deck for tie-down. Both front and rear.
    - As long as the front end was chocked and then tensioned moderately firmly (not hard), then the rear just needed a tie-down to keep it positioned. Leave your side-stand down as well.

Your R3 will be a much lighter machine than a well-laden VFR800, so you should manage just fine.

The VFR is a little awkward, in that front tie-downs can rub on the fairings if you aren't careful. Hence why I use the following product

https://aerofast.co.nz/product/37mm-...wns-karabiner/

Cheers

[Edit]

See earlier post #532 above for fitting the tie-downs.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Practice where you will run the handlebar attachment so you aren't backing cables etc. My Street has unfortunately placed front indicators. Looking the R3 also has them in a queer place but not so sticky out.

This is only a problem like on the last interislander where we had to have the front straps vertically down. Ideally you have front two angled forward and a rear one for pulling the bike back which is ideal if you choose a footrest mount or something solid like a rail.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    This is only a problem like on the last interislander where we had to have the front straps vertically down. Ideally you have front two angled forward and a rear one for pulling the bike back which is ideal if you choose a footrest mount or something solid like a rail.
    Swap with your neighbour, explain why. I've done it multiple times. We all want the same thing anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Autech View Post

I've gotten away with using just two straps in the past - Though I did leave the bike in gear and used a chock wedged against the rear wheel too.

The deck hands won't be interested in helping you from my experience - Not unless you specifically ask them for help that is. If in doubt one of the other bike riders will probably be willing to give you a hand.

I'm often a bit anal when it comes to checking my bike is secure when loading up on the ferry. If in doubt check it again as they won't accept any liability if things go wrong, regardless of whether you've paid for them to have a duty of care or not.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    It can be a bit tight if you have two bikes becide each with panniers/soft luggage bags on. So that is something to consider rwt to access to either bike.

My procedure was/is:

Leave bike in first.
    Set it on the side sand.
    Tie down as much as you feel comfortable with with the straps you have.(I used rope on my first ferry crossing decades ago)
    Chock back and front of the rear wheel.
    And the most important onei remove the key from the ignition.
    Then head up with what ever small bag you have valuables,wallet etc in and have a nice cold or warm drink of what ever you like.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    I've gotten away with using just two straps in the past - Though I did leave the bike in gear and used a chock wedged against the rear wheel too.

The deck hands won't be interested in helping you from my experience - Not unless you specifically ask them for help that is. If in doubt one of the other bike riders will probably be willing to give you a hand.

I'm often a bit anal when it comes to checking my bike is secure when loading up on the ferry. If in doubt check it again as they won't accept any liability if things go wrong, regardless of whether you've paid for them to have a duty of care or not.
    Cheers, as racer I'm fairly experienced with trailering bikes, so I imagine the process is the same. Though they're usually shitty race bikes and not a pretty R3 that belongs to my cousin, so I'll be super anal I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    It can be a bit tight if you have two bikes becide each with panniers/soft luggage bags on. So that is something to consider rwt to access to either bike.

My procedure was/is:

Leave bike in first.
    Set it on the side sand.
    Tie down as much as you feel comfortable with with the straps you have.(I used rope on my first ferry crossing decades ago)
    Chock back and front of the rear wheel.
    And the most important onei remove the key from the ignition.
    Then head up with what ever small bag you have valuables,wallet etc in and have a nice cold or warm drink of what ever you like.
    So did you ratchet it down to the side stand? I've heard that's not a go as it can snap?

My plan was to put it on side stand, ratchet right hand side bar as far as it feels comfortable then do the left when I kick the stand up and balance it upright, then put something on the rear wheel.
    I wonder if it's worth bringing a cable tie for the brake lever?

Thread Information