Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ferry Tie Downs

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT

Ferry Tie Downs

Is it still recommended to take your own tie downs for the Cook Strait ferries?
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    2019 KTM Duke 790
    Quote Originally Posted by buggerit View Post
    I prefer to trust what I know Steve. Got landed with some manky old rope once which was barely adequate. When are you off? IAM social ride in your neck of the woods tomorrow.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I prefer to trust what I know Steve. Got landed with some manky old rope once which was barely adequate. When are you off? IAM social ride in your neck of the woods tomorrow.
    Just loading the bike now, looking to jettison what I can

Bike
    2019 KTM Duke 790
    Just loading the bike now, looking to jettison what I can
    You shouldn't need to jettison much with the underpants inside out option . I've got fast-drying non-iron travel gear these days as well as merino so I don't smell like a skunk. Post a few photos of your GT in scenic locations. Catch you when you get back.

Have a fantastic trip mate!

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    You shouldn't need to jettison much with the underpants inside out option . I've got fast-drying non-iron travel gear these days as well as merino so I don't smell like a skunk. Post a few photos of your GT in scenic locations. Catch you when you get back.

Have a fantastic trip mate!
    Undies, I knew I had forgotten something.
    On board now, Inter islander is well set up with ratcheting tie downs
    with handlebar loops and a slot bracket/slot to hold your
    front wheel.

Bike
    suzuki
    why, you pay for tiedaowns, tell them to supply tie downs, taking your own is bending over and letting them fuck you up the arse as far as i see it

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    why, you pay for tiedaowns, tell them to supply tie downs, taking your own is bending over and letting them fuck you up the arse as far as i see it
    Do you though? I thought you were just paying for a space on the boat
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Do you though? I thought you were just paying for a space on the boat
    per square foot you pay a significant amount more, for what, tie downs i think. some years ago i worked with the interislander people and actually got them to put proper tie downs on a boat, with their name on them, worked through options to lessen the likelhood of them being stolen etc, which they weren't even worried about.
    the operations manager cam on board and met with me, happened to be a sunday after the useless club agm so was packed out, right in front of his eyes a bike toppled because of the bullshit chain system.
    it worked, the got plenty of tie downs and life was better for a while.
    he then left and the follow up wasn't done.
    my main point of insisting on tie downs is no matter how good yours are, and how good you tie you bike down it won't stop the next guy's bike being tied properly. additionally, do i really want to tour the south island with 1/2 a kilo of cow shit covered tiedowns?

they seem to have no trouble providing tie downs for the truckies.

Bike
    BSA A10
    my main point of insisting on tie downs is no matter how good yours are, and how good you tie you bike down it won't stop the next guy's bike being tied properly. additionally, do i really want to tour the south island with 1/2 a kilo of cow shit covered tiedowns?
    My tie downs are very good and I'm always cautious about the guy next door tying his bike down, I would think if you have 1/2 kg of cowshit attached to your tiedowns you'd have bigger problems with how much is spread over your bike

Different point of view than yours but if it's my bike then I'm responsible for it and I will take whatever steps I deem necessary for a crossing with no problems without relying on the freight company/deckhands
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    My tie downs are very good and I'm always cautious about the guy next door tying his bike down, I would think if you have 1/2 kg of cowshit attached to your tiedowns you'd have bigger problems with how much is spread over your bike

Different point of view than yours but if it's my bike then I'm responsible for it and I will take whatever steps I deem necessary for a crossing with no problems without relying on the freight company/deckhands
    i'm talking about the cowshit on the decks, do you take your own scissors to your barber?

why do we continually let these cunts get away with it?

Bike
    2009 Honda TransAlp
    No, they have big anchors and strong chains to tie the ferries down. Not sure they are long enough for the middle of the Cook Strait though. She's pretty deep.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Travelled on the Interislander in February, this is what they sent me beforehand.

Having said that, there were some tie downs/bits of rope with hooks available on both trips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EFA86026-57DD-4AF7-B98E-301B5FC6C9C3.jpeg 
Views:	49 
Size:	493.2 KB 
ID:	341217  
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    Travelled on the Interislander in February, this is what they sent me beforehand.

Having said that, there were some tie downs/bits of rope with hooks available on both trips.
    is that acceptable service? there's absolutley no assurance that the bike next to you will be sicure....

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    p

they seem to have no trouble providing tie downs for the truckies.
    The trucks are tied down with big overcentre chain and hook things that fit into the slots in the deck.There's plenty there because they are too big and heavy to steal. The interislander branded ratchet straps were probably all stolen in the first week.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    The trucks are tied down with big overcentre chain and hook things that fit into the slots in the deck.There's plenty there because they are too big and heavy to steal. The interislander branded ratchet straps were probably all stolen in the first week.
    when i got them provided oddly they said theft wasn't an issue, had a budget for it like glassware going from a bar, in saying that they looked at the options of one end hooked on that needed tools to remove etc, it was quite a few years ago and i rarely travel on the ferry with a bike now so never kept the momentum i'd gained going.

Thread Information