Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Similar to MT09?

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09

Similar to MT09?

I test rode an MT-09 on the weekend. Loved it although the handlebars were custom so I need to try one with standard bars and see if they are any better (something about the custom set up wasn't quite right).

What other models will be similar power/size/weight/fun? Could be any brand.

I'm specifically interested in similar sizes (seat height and width) as I'm short and do like to be able to touch the ground. Lighter than 200kg wet weight would also be ideal.
    I've lined up a Triumph Street Triple to try this weekend but not sure I like the look of it as much. I also want to try a Kawasaki Z900.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Blackbird on this forum has just bought himself a KTM Duke 790 and he seems to love it. He's 5' 7" in old money and it seems to suit him just fine. Light too.

Otherwise I'd have a good think about which Street Triple you test ride. The standard 'S' model is slightly less powerful but still a perfectly good option. The 'R' model also very good and the 'RS' a sportsbike sans fairing. If that's what you're after then great.

I'd also give the GSX-S750 a try. It's grunty, light enough and you should be able to fit on it quite happily. I liked the one I rode a lot, more than I thought I would if I'm honest.

Just my 2 cents' worth.

Bike
    Sold
    Hi Helen,

As Navy Boy says, you might want to consider a Duke 790. Greg Boyd currently has a demonstrator in his showroom in Hamilton. Up to a few weeks ago, it was odds-on money that I'd be buying a Street Triple. Had one previously and loved it. Buying a bike is clearly a mix of technical and emotional appeal and as soon as I rode the Duke, there was just something about it which can be summed up as "Buy me"! Just fell in love with it and 500 km later, know I made the right personal choice. Here's my write-up of the test ride: https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2019...rs-go-bad.html . It might not have the same impact on you but that's the joy of trying different bikes. The MT-09 is a great bike but the general consensus is that you need to spend money on aftermarket suspension.

Happy test riding!

Geoff

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Hi Helen,

The MT-09 is a great bike but the general consensus is that you need to spend money on aftermarket suspension.

Happy test riding!

Geoff
    I'm two years into MT-09 ownership and love it. All you need to do is change the rear shock. I used Kiwi Suspension in Naki. $900 and totally sorted and with the price of MT-09s better than anything similar by miles, it still works out a bargain. I've owned the Triumph 675 and 1050 triple engines and would rate the MT motor as way better all round.

Can't understand why someone would swap the handlebars? Bloody comfortable with standard bars, although they are a tad wide. Yamaha have two fly screens worth considering as well (se pic.).
    If you have the cash go for the Yamaha Niken!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180526_134223.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	881.6 KB 
ID:	341215  
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Hi Helen,

As Navy Boy says, you might want to consider a Duke 790. Greg Boyd currently has a demonstrator in his showroom in Hamilton. Up to a few weeks ago, it was odds-on money that I'd be buying a Street Triple. Had one previously and loved it. Buying a bike is clearly a mix of technical and emotional appeal and as soon as I rode the Duke, there was just something about it which can be summed up as "Buy me"! Just fell in love with it and 500 km later, know I made the right personal choice. Here's my write-up of the test ride: https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2019...rs-go-bad.html . It might not have the same impact on you but that's the joy of trying different bikes. The MT-09 is a great bike but the general consensus is that you need to spend money on aftermarket suspension.

Happy test riding!

Geoff
    Thanks. I am not a fan of the KTM looks to be honest... I borrowed a Duke 390 briefly (admittedly not even close to similar to the 790) and didn't love it.

MD - I'm not going to get a three wheeler, no way no how the MT09 is a thing of beauty however. I think the guy changed the handlebars as they were too wide/high but I didn't find it comfy (my throttle hand wasn't at the right angle so I felt like I was gripping the thing too tightly).
    Budget is low even after I sell the SV but there are a couple of promising 15/16 models on TM in the right kind of ballpark, just a bit of a hike to try them out.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Buy a Ducati ya pussy.

Actually for bang for buck the Yammy will be very hard to pass. You could even paint one Ducati red

I'm sure I've read somewhere a ZX10 rear shock fits.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Just read your last post. Avoid the 2015-16 model if you can. First model launch got mixed reviews, poor fueling and both front and rear suspension was rubbished. 17 model only the rear got the bad press and much better reviews.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    MT-07

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    MT-07
    MT-10

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Not LAMS version.

MT-07 and XSR700 share the same drivetrain.

MT-09 and XSR900 share the same drivetrain.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    Not LAMS version.

MT-07 and XSR700 share the same drivetrain.

MT-09 and XSR900 share the same drivetrain.
    XSR900 is a favourite. I get to ride heaps of bikes, and I love the XSR900.

I don't get the Tracers tho. Same dna, different form factor. What were they thinking?

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I don't get the Tracers tho. Same dna, different form factor. What were they thinking?
    Agree. Hideous. WHY?

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HEsch View Post
    Agree. Hideous. WHY?
    Umm...for people who might want to go touring on them, don't want to get pummelled in a headwind and need to carry more than just another pair of underpants?

But yeah, in general I think the Yamaha designers who pen these bikes have seen way to many Transformer movies.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by HEsch View Post
    Agree. Hideous. WHY?
    Well, it gets worse with Niken. Same engine and transmission, but 3 wheels.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    XSR900 is a favourite. I get to ride heaps of bikes, and I love the XSR900.

I think both XSRs look nice for the form factor. But NZ only gets the LAMs version of xsr700 not the full version. Shame really.

Thread Information