Thread: ZZR1100 headlight problem

Bike
    D5 zx11

ZZR1100 headlight problem

So after many years of saying I would, I've finally got another bike, brought a 97D5 ninja (my dream bike at 17) for 3 7, with 58k carjam approved km's on it, being a reasonably serious bit of kit I dropped it off at the local bike shop for a service and bit of a look over, I'm down a further $950 due to said service, a blown forkseal (did both as you do) and an idling knock that turned out to be the alternator, anyway the bikes almost ship shape apart from a headlight that works fine on high beam but is dim on low beam, just got off the phone with the workshop and he's ask for 1 more day to try and rectify the problem as his mechanics are stumped and he is going to have a go at it himself with no extra charge for time taken should he fail in his endeavor, was just wondering if some smartypants here or some other zx11 owner who's encountered this gremlin can shed any light (slight chuckle at unintended pun) on my situation. Thanks

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Assuming that; power travels to the bulb via the hi/lo switch, through the bulb filaments to ground and that the bulb has been replaced - as high beam is ok then the fault has to be either the switch, the wire from the switch to the bulb holder, or the bulb holder itself.

If there are relays in the circuit it gets a bit more complex but not by much.

Is this the purple and gold ZZR? I lusted after one of those and still would be happy with one.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Assuming that; power travels to the bulb via the hi/lo switch, through the bulb filaments to ground and that the bulb has been replaced - as high beam is ok then the fault has to be either the switch, the wire from the switch to the bulb holder, or the bulb holder itself.

Could it not be the bulb itself ... ??? Lights on dip is dim (Dim means is getting power and works ... but is dim) has he looked/checked the bulb ... ??? Replace it anyway and go from there would be my advice. Simple things first ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Yes I'd covered that in "assuming ... the bulb has been replaced". Even the most inept repair shop would try that first, after which they'd shrug and say "electrics, eh?"
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    D5 zx11
    Thanks for your input guys, @FJ... definitely not the bulb, the previous owner replaced that to no avail. @pete... it's NZ new and coloured silver but purple with gold decals sounds mean, (I'm quoting the bill here) ...REMOVE SCREEN AND SPEEDO ASSEMBLY TO GAIN ACCESS TO HEADLIGHT WIRING, CARRY OUT ELECTRICAL TESTS ON HEADLIGHT CIRCUIT TO DETERMINE DIM LIGHT, NO OBVIOUS FAULT FOUND, FUSE JUNCTION BOX MAYBE AT FAULT. About to see if I can pick it up today or at least get it out for Sunday, my only day off and opportunity to ride, had it since last Wednesday and waiting to get a leg over it has been torture, .... safe travels all

Bike
    D5 zx11
    So she's outside under a $100 cover I got from super cheap for 50 bucks, it was the wire pete, sound prognosis mate, mechanic said it was just in an ugly place and the fact that she's wired a little weird added to the confusion, roll on sunny weekends, thanks again and happy trails

Bike
    Blog Entries
    good to hear its sorted. This is the one I lusted after, purple and orange, not purple and gold
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kawasaki-ZZR1100-D1-1993-Orange-and-Purple.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	341299  
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    D5 zx11
    I was looking on trade me and GP motorcycle wreckers in Katikati just wreaked one, has to be the most standout paint job they ever did, mine could do with a spruce up, I'm thinking traditional lime green, but probably matt black

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    naaaa mate, they should only ever be in the nice candy apple red .
    good to see you solved your issue, that woulda been my suggestion as well, they are a bitch to get at the headlight and instrument cluster wiring and mine is awaiting me to pull it all out to replace a couple of instrument bulbs.
    the only issue that I have that is intermittent is the ignition key needing a wriggle every now an then to get the headlight going after starting but it is real irregular, one day might invest in a new ignition and lock set.
    they are seriously cheap horsepower and very economical on fuel unless you wind that throttle but rear tires last between 8 and 10 thousand ks

Bike
    D5 zx11
    I hear you mate, those candy apple red ones do look smart! GP motorcycle wreckers will probably have what you need, they just wreaked two

Thread Information