Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: State Of The Industry

Bike
    motocompo
    The first Aprilia I bought brand new was delivered with 17psi in both tyres & the headlamp facing into the road.
    When I enquired about buying that bike & asked for some info, the shop owner said "just google it, it's all there" when shit did go wrong with it under warranty, the shop owner got really aggressive with me & then shortly later started crying,
    I think at that point I told him it sounded like he needed a good redhead to fuck, not sure where that came from, but clearly his issues were a bit bigger than mine at that time.
    With the second Aprilia, different dealer, the first one had dropped them, when it went back for new tyres, I said they may as well give it a service, so they ran it up with it tied down over the genuine Aprilia titanium matt finish mufflers & melted the nylon tie downs onto the mufflers. Shortly after calling the shop & having a yarn with the manager, I received a threatening & abusive text from the mechanic that did the job saying I was probably going to cost him his job, why, because I fucked the mufflers? Anyway, nothing was done to remedy the problem & I heard that the mechanic committed suicide a couple of years later.
    They were the same shop that hid the safety recall of a replacement swing arm from me which I was alerted to by a member on here. Their reason for not informing me "we don't make any money doing those recalls" Clearly a very tough industry.
    Also, when you take your BMW to the main dealer for a service, what is "fluid $40"? & why does the service light come on within four days?

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    jesus the last 2 stories sound like servicing in india............................

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Over the years the bike shops have changed. The comment about bike shops being understaffed reminded me that when I started there were several bike shops in town, most had the owner who did sales and parts and sometimes mechanic if necessary, and there was an apprentice or mechanic.

In recent years there has been a population explosion in bike shops, one local dealer had the owner as sales and manager, his wife as "accounts", a salesman, an office girl, a parts man and a team of mechanics. If business slowed down the negative impact was swift.

The local shops seem to be running a tighter ship these days but still. It wouldn't pay to be a Honda dealer, it appears Bluewing don't even want to sell road bikes any more.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Speaking of Honda, which of the two central Auckland dealerships would anyone in the know recommend for a fairly major service - the only in Cycletreads now or the one out east who are currently advertising for an experienced motorcycle mechanic on their website ???
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    Speaking of Honda, which of the two central Auckland dealerships would anyone in the know recommend for a fairly major service - the only in Cycletreads now or the one out east who are currently advertising for an experienced motorcycle mechanic on their website ???
    I'll PM you a place out East.
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    I'll PM you a place out East.
    makesure you talk to the engineers in the garage at those guyses place, the young fat dude behind the counter has NFI what hes talking about or quoting for and will quote you insane prices for anything OEM related. otherwise go Motorcycle Doctors, pickup/dropoff is usually free too.

Thread Information