Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: X75 Hurricane heads, true or false

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...648b18ca76aa17

did triumph make a special head for the hurricanes or is it just an urban legend?
    I have read the original vetter story i think i remember him wanting biger fins to make it look meaner.

The function of my design then, was to say "Look at me because I am special." The function of the Vetter Rocket was to make me get noticed for the right reasons.
    I already loved the triple engine but somebody had emasculated it by shaving its cylinder head fins off. I put them back on. I also put as much space around it as possible, sort of like framing it with the bodywork as a prized painting would be, to make it the center of attention.
    I dont know if this translated to production. he liked the BSA engine with the cylinder rake
    The longer forks were a bugger up he lengthened Ceriani forks by about 2 inchs and for some reason when the bike reached production they made the BSA/Triumph forks the same amount longer.
    I wanted my design to be producible so I made no changes that I thought might jeopardize its production. It also was to incorporate a new Ceriani - style front end. Don sent me a set of Cerianis saying that it pretty much represented the English version coming soon. The problem was that he sent me short, road racing forks and I had to machine slugs to bring the bike back up level. And that seems to have led the English to believe that I had extended the forks, so they extended their Ceriani copies too. The fact is the Vetter Rocket that I made had stock Rocket 3 length forks.
    http://www.motohistory.net/featureds...er-story3.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    His comment was

Note ... All different numbers again.

A relatively simple method would be re-casting the X75 heads. Changing the mold's is a (relatively) simple process. I once worked in a foundry. Making molds was part of my job description.

As I said ... this would account for the different part number for the X75.
    i read part number for x75 and T150, others being different. as for re casting, can you imagine the british motorcycle industry doing that at the time? they could barely run a bath far less a motorcycle manufacturing business

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    i read part number for x75 and T150, others being different. as for re casting, can you imagine the british motorcycle industry doing that at the time? they could barely run a bath far less a motorcycle manufacturing business
    The pic's I posted of the heads say different
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Actually ... The American influence/market says different ... A Houston made BSA Rocket 3 ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A 1971HoustonVetter-Rocket.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	341311  

Bike
    husaberg
    You might find the different part number is different machining ie not machining off the ends of the head flat or polishing.
    which is what it looks like to me remember what craig said they made them smaller he restored them to how they were designed to be.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heads.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	341313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heads 3.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	341314

Remember the Enfeild GP5 great big destroyed by silly managers.
    It came of with 4 transfer ports and made good power a fair few more than any of the competition the managers looked at it and said villiers starmaker only has 2 transfer so go back and redesign it with 2 and while you are at it get rid of that gearbox that works and use an albion as the companies are related.

The british manufacturing industry collapsed for the sme reason as the Amierican car industry has,they thought they knew better regarding what the customer wanted than the customer did.
    Same with Holdern and Ford in Aussie. they never moved with the times or sought out other markets for their products.
    The japanese are far more humble.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    raptor 1000
    I saw two at a Vincent rally in Alexandra once. Only once.
    there was one getting around in Dunedin a few years ago, havnt seen it for a long time though

Bike
    BSA A10
    I saw two at a Vincent rally in Alexandra once. Only once.
    Saw one on the Ferry in the early nineties, it'd been repainted a non factory colour and the guy and his girlfriend were touring on it, he was only talking around a 100km range
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    they couldn't even sell the last two in new zealand, they were given away as prizes, one north island and one south island....
    You'd know Chris Knibb's, built a Vincent special. I've been told he has one and probably up for sale soon.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    You'd know Chris Knibb's, built a Vincent special. I've been told he has one and probably up for sale soon.
    they're not rare, there's quite a few round nz per capita.
    i'm not looking for one, just curious about finer points....

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Saw one on the Ferry in the early nineties, it'd been repainted a non factory colour and the guy and his girlfriend were touring on it, he was only talking around a 100km range
    They only had a 2 1/2 gallon tank. A show pony. Travel at speed and you'll run out of gas.

But they looked good ... I don't think they sold well (in their day) though.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    there was one getting around in Dunedin a few years ago, havnt seen it for a long time though
    Probably only goes to car and motorcycle shows ... on a trailer.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    The heads are different. The fins are larger to make the engine look a little bigger...

Thread Information