Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Helmet lifespan?

Bike
    2010 Kawasaki ER-6n
    I've never thought about it before...I've been using my helmet for 4 years now. It fits perfectly, and I worry I won't find a better one so easy.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I guess there's a big difference between someone who keeps their helmet in the bag it came in, and looks after it fastidiously, and someone who lets it fall off the seat of the bike time and again.

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Found a goodie in the rafters recently. My uncle moved to Australia some 15+ years ago and left us with a few boxes of bits and pieces to store. Why, I don't know, maybe they thought they'd be back. We unearthed it when we moved house... Opened the boxes and asked him if he wanted anything. His old race helmet from goodness knows when was determined to be "too old to be of any use". Just as well, as the lining foam disintegrated in my hands. It went to a good cause though: the volunteer firefighters use them in training (practice removing helmets from dummies).

I replace mine when the look ratty. Its really all about the look, and while having a few bin trophies does increase your street cred, after a while a new shiney helmet just looks cooler.
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    1998 Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S
    I just checked my HTC CLX3 and the date on the inside rear is FEB 2002. I FREAKED. Once this Covid-19 is over a helmet is my first purchase! My full face helmet is a Oxford and I really really like that. It's very comfortable and stable at high winds and also seals really well with the visor down. I'll probably get another one of those.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Mich View Post
    I just checked my HTC CLX3 and the date on the inside rear is FEB 2002.
    You mean HJC?
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Summit that has popped up on a Youtube channel I watch is the strap mounting points of dirt oriented helmets corroding. Quite a few have snapped.

I checked a few of my helmets, road and dirt, they all have varying degrees of corrosion. I must have a reactive scone.

Definitely something I will be keeping an eye on as time goes by.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I guess there's a big difference between someone who keeps their helmet in the bag it came in, and looks after it fastidiously, and someone who lets it fall off the seat of the bike time and again.
    good reason (in my mind) not to spend a small fortune on a helmet with (insert racer name here) replica graphics. If it costs $1200 then there is going to be a natural disinclination to replace it when needed. The graphics will do nothing to save your head, but a plain colour may save you hundreds of dollars.

Also, to a car driver, a plain white helmet suggests "cop" and they start paying a bit more attention.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    good reason (in my mind) not to spend a small fortune on a helmet with (insert racer name here) replica graphics. If it costs $1200 then there is going to be a natural disinclination to replace it when needed. The graphics will do nothing to save your head, but a plain colour may save you hundreds of dollars.

Also, to a car driver, a plain white helmet suggests "cop" and they start paying a bit more attention.
    Fair enough on the fancy graphics thing. Another angle is some of these fancy graphic helmets take a while to sell, so if you see one on special have a look at the label showing date of manufacture. I've looked at a few around the country, record so far is a helmet on special for 55% of RRP with date of manufacture almost 4 years ago. Argue that any which way you want.

Plain colours white and yellow, yep you will get a second glance. Keep in mind also that those colours will also stand out against most backgrounds, so being figured for a LEO would also require a bike to match

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Fair enough on the fancy graphics thing. Another angle is some of these fancy graphic helmets take a while to sell, so if you see one on special have a look at the label showing date of manufacture. I've looked at a few around the country, record so far is a helmet on special for 55% of RRP with date of manufacture almost 4 years ago. Argue that any which way you want.

Plain colours white and yellow, yep you will get a second glance. Keep in mind also that those colours will also stand out against most backgrounds, so being figured for a LEO would also require a bike to match
    If they're close enough to see (and notice) the colour of your helmet ... they can SEE YOU. Please tell me why they still run into you ... ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    If they're close enough to see (and notice) the colour of your helmet ... they can SEE YOU. Please why they still run into you ... ???
    Hate to break it to you, but nobody has run into me in the last 3 decades, when I've been on my motorcycle.

But I've had plenty of conversations with riders who claim car drivers are idiots, when it's actually the rider whose skill and attitude needed a reality check. Different conversation though aye

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Hate to break it to you, but nobody has run into me in the last 3 decades.
    Nor me. And may it long continue.

But I've had plenty of conversations with riders who claim car drivers are idiots, when it's actually the rider whose skill and attitude needed a reality check. Different conversation though aye
    Reality is a hard taskmaster ... but it's NOT always ... somebody else's fault ...

Bike
    A
    Reality is a hard taskmaster ... but it's NOT always ... somebody else's fault ...
    Ah yes, when I've been asked to partake in incident or accident investigations, the obvious comes to the fore. Vast majority of accidents are human error, and in a good portion of those accidents the so-called victim could have helped themselves. But that would require sound situational awareness and getting the basics right. As for unavoidable accidents, yeah they do exist, but in small numbers.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Ah yes, when I've been asked to partake in incident or accident investigations, the obvious comes to the fore. Vast majority of accidents are human error, and in a good portion of those accidents the so-called victim could have helped themselves. But that would require sound situational awareness and getting the basics right. As for unavoidable accidents, yeah they do exist, but in small numbers.
    A thought to ponder ... How many times (in those accident investigations) did you the words ... It was an accident .. It wasn't MY fault ...

Bike
    A
    A thought to ponder ... How many times (in those accident investigations) did you hear the words ... It was an accident .. It wasn't MY fault ...
    Quite a common response. At a guess, no less than two thirds Yeah I know you're surprised

Thread Information