Thread: Anyone bought car tyres in Christchurch recently?

Bike
    Street Triple R

Anyone bought car tyres in Christchurch recently?

I need to put a set of tyres on the shitbox. If I am going to keep it for another year I will put decent tyres on it, it I decide to trade it I will put less-decent tyres on it. Its a 2012 Subaru XV and it has 255/55x17 on it. The ones it came with are Yokohama I think. Looking for recommendations of a retailer and an idea of price.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I need to put a set of tyres on the shitbox. If I am going to keep it for another year I will put decent tyres on it, it I decide to trade it I will put less-decent tyres on it. Its a 2012 Subaru XV and it has 255/55x17 on it. The ones it came with are Yokohama I think. Looking for recommendations of a retailer and an idea of price.
    Both the Bridgestone Serenity and Firestone F01 are currently on specials with the Serenity being a step up from the F01, they also have a couple in a cheaper range

We've had extremely good feedback on the Serenity

A good quality tyre in that size range is going to be $200 upwards, not at work so I can't give a definite price
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I had to buy two 255/40 17's for my wife's wagon and it uses run flats. in 2015 I paid 1600 for a full set 225/45 17's front, 255/40 17's rear) and that was a family friendly deal at wholesale.

I was cringing when I had to start looking for a set of rears as the front's were 900 a paid fitted last year. We're using the RE050A RFT's which is the preferred tyre on these (335i / twin turbo 3 litre BM Wagon and my tow car for the race bikes and NO SPARE TYRE!!), they are soft and quite sticky.....and they get a little tortured with 300+ hp

I ring local Bridgestone dealer which diverted directly to their head office and the call goes like this:
    Me: 255/40-17 RE050A RFT's x 2 - what sort of price please? (holding my breath)
    Bridgestone: $281 each fitted.
    Me: Ok (thinking where do I sign up, that's really good!)
    BS: Is that price okay?
    ME: I don't know, you are the first I've spoken to.
    BS: have I had any quotes elsewhere?
    Me: no
    BS: Oh okay, so why don't you ask me if I can better it?
    Me: Okay can you do a better price?
    BS: Good question, hang on, we can do them for $209 fitted. But will have to be wed as we are too late to send the tyres today to the dealer....

So $420 for the pair, fitted. A pair on the car for price of one tyre last time....

Many car tyre buyers see it as a commodity / grudge purchase, so price wins.....and for many tyre dealer/chains that's the model they are set up for. Price.

While your tyres and needs will b a bit different, well worth the call. I like Bridgestone car tyres, and they way the cars I've owned have steered (and gripped), so tend that way, but hell, their price was outstanding

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Mag and Turbo give you a range of options.

Ian Scobie out by the Sockburn dump (see how old I am, they call it a transfer center or something now) stocks Maxxis tyres. I'm on my second set of Maxxis on the front of the XR6 and I'm very impressed - quiet, stick very well in all weather and the first set lasted very well. Price was good to.

I've also been purchasing off Hyperdrive - buy on line and pick your local fitter. Big range and lots of specials.

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Mag and Turbo give you a range of options.

Ian Scobie out by the Sockburn dump (see how old I am, they call it a transfer center or something now) stocks Maxxis tyres. I'm on my second set of Maxxis on the front of the XR6 and I'm very impressed - quiet, stick very well in all weather and the first set lasted very well. Price was good to.

I've also been purchasing off Hyperdrive - buy on line and pick your local fitter. Big range and lots of specials.
    I've used Maxxis and had no problem at all. Good tyre and lasted well.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I like the idea of quiet tyres. In other news I got a letter in the mail from Subaru today about a recall.... valve springs and stop light or something. Time to trade it on a Nissan Leaf
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    I've used Maxxis and had no problem at all. Good tyre and lasted well.
    Maxxis MA-P1 is pretty good, so are some of their others
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Thread Information