Thread: Help with Scooter Tuning - Lintex Viva 2016 Not Performing

Bike
    2016, Lintex Viva

Lightbulb Help with Scooter Tuning - Lintex Viva 2016 Not Performing

Hi,

There doesn't appear to be a scooter area, please move this post if there's a better spot.

I purchased a 2016 'Factory Built' Lintext Viva Citymaster for $200. The idea was for a cheap and fun way to get to work and to teach myself a little about mechanics along the way (don't judge me lol). It wasn't running and apparently hadn't been for about 6 months. I found the suction line going into the carb was off and seemingly had gone hard and couldn't reach anymore. So I replaced that with some suction hose from the shop and hey presto after a jumpstart, the scooter went.
    I then drained the fuel and replaced it and took the carb out and apart and back together and I have been using it to get to work and back ever since. Today I just tried replacing the spark plug too. However, it is very gutless, more so than what I suspect is normal. A very large lady pulled up beside me at a light on a brand new looking version of the same scooter and she was off when the light changed, keeping up with the cars doing 60kph. I struggled away from the lights and barely make 50kph if I'm lucky.
    It runs reasonably well when it's humming along at 45kph or whatever but it's sluggish off the mark, doesn't achieve a very high top speed and sometimes will idle high when you're stopped, sometimes it will idle low until eventually it will stop if you don't give it a twist on the throttle, and sometimes it will idle about right.
    I'm not that mechanically minded (I just watched Youtube for how to remove the carb) but I'm wondering what you would try next? I asked the shop when I got the sparkplug but they were only really interested in looking at it for $185, which is almost the cost of the scooter, and then I suspect I might just be told it needs an additional part worth $50 etc which I could easily have just replaced anyway.
    The replacement suction hose they sold me was slightly thinner diameter on the inside, would that matter?
    Also, it hasn't been serviced (from what I can tell) since 300 kms and it has about 12000! Could it be the valve gaps? Or the CDI box? Where would you suggest I try next?

Thanks for your help.
    Viva

Bike
    2016, Lintex Viva

Lightbulb Help with Tuning for a 2016 Viva CityMaster

Hi,

I purchased a 2016 'Factory Built' Lintext Viva Citymaster for $200. The idea was for a cheap and fun way to get to work and to teach myself a little about mechanics along the way (don't judge me lol). It wasn't running and apparently hadn't been for about 6 months. I found the suction line going into the carb was off and seemingly had gone hard and couldn't reach anymore. So I replaced that with some suction hose from the shop and hey presto after a jumpstart, the scooter went.
    I then drained the fuel and replaced it and took the carb out and apart and back together and I have been using it to get to work and back ever since. Today I just tried replacing the spark plug too. However, it is very gutless, more so than what I suspect is normal. A very large lady pulled up beside me at a light on a brand new looking version of the same scooter and she was off when the light changed, keeping up with the cars doing 60kph. I struggled away from the lights and barely make 50kph if I'm lucky.
    It runs reasonably well when it's humming along at 45kph or whatever but it's sluggish off the mark, doesn't achieve a very high top speed and sometimes will idle high when you're stopped, sometimes it will idle low until eventually it will stop if you don't give it a twist on the throttle, and sometimes it will idle about right.
    I'm not that mechanically minded (I just watched Youtube for how to remove the carb) but I'm wondering what you would try next? I asked the shop when I got the sparkplug but they were only really interested in looking at it for $185, which is almost the cost of the scooter, and then I suspect I might just be told it needs an additional part worth $50 etc which I could easily have just replaced anyway.
    The replacement suction hose they sold me was slightly thinner diameter on the inside, would that matter?
    Also, it hasn't been serviced (from what I can tell) since 300 kms and it has about 12000! Could it be the valve gaps? Or the CDI box? Where would you suggest I try next?

Thanks for your help.
    Viva

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Hi,

. . . , and then I suspect I might just be told it needs an additional part worth $50 etc which I could easily have just replaced anyway.
    . .
    Viva
    Optimistic the part may be only $50. Is that because the purchase price was low you feel the spares should be comparatively as cheap?

What sort of parts backup does the distributor carry?.

-What? They just sell complete scooters for cheap prices? And you say they are made where?

Put some money together, treat this as a learning experience and buy something from a reputable brand where they actually have bricks and mortar dealerships.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

I purchased a 2016 'Factory Built' Lintext Viva Citymaster for $200 ...
    $185 would probably be money well spent ... but good for you choosing the "other" option. I hope you don't regret it.

For a start ... brand new scooters usually do run better than ones with 12,000 km's on it and probably thrashed too.

Did you get the correct spark plug ? What was in it may not have been the correct one. Get the plug gap right too if you can.

The intake (your suction) line helps if it also is the correct size. The friction of the flow in small lines can affect performance.

Did you clean out the fuel tank ??? there is usually a small filter above the fuel tap that you get to by unscrewing the fuel tap off the tank.

The idle screw might need adjustment. Google that model carb and find the correct settings for the setting screws. Probably at least two on it.

Is it two or four stroke .. ??

Also important ... check the Air filter (and if it does actually have one installed) is clean. These make a small engine run badly (or stop them completely) if they are dirty.

With small engines ... small things make big differences.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    ... Put some money together, treat this as a learning experience and buy something from a reputable brand where they actually have bricks and mortar dealerships.
    It runs ... running badly maybe ... but that is a good(ish) start. Now it needs to run better.

Money may not be an option ... and learning is always good ...

Bike
    2016, Lintex Viva
    New to the forum and I subsequently found the maintenance thread. I've posted it there as it's more appropriate. Cheers.

Bike
    2016, Lintex Viva
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    $185 would probably be money well spent ... but good for you choosing the "other" option. I hope you don't regret it.

For a start ... brand new scooters usually do run better than ones with 12,000 km's on it and probably thrashed too.

Did you get the correct spark plug ? What was in it may not have been the correct one. Get the plug gap right too if you can.

The intake (your suction) line helps if it also is the correct size. The friction of the flow in small lines can affect performance.

Did you clean out the fuel tank ??? there is usually a small filter above the fuel tap that you get to by unscrewing the fuel tap off the tank.

The idle screw might need adjustment. Google that model carb and find the correct settings for the setting screws. Probably at least two on it.

Is it two or four stroke .. ??

Also important ... check the Air filter (and if it does actually have one installed) is clean. These make a small engine run badly (or stop them completely) if they are dirty.

With small engines ... small things make big differences.
    Thanks for your reply. I agree the $185 might be money well spent, I'm just worried I'll spend $185 to be told 'don't bother spending $185 on it'.

Yes the spark plug is the same number/same plug. Old one didn't actually look too bad.
    I'll take another look at the suction line.
    I drained the tank, but didn't clean it out, and I haven't yet replaced the filter.
    I haven't touched the fuel/air mix screws. I read that carbs can 'wear out'. How does that happen?
    It's four stroke, which I appreciate means it's not going to be speed racer. But as I say, compared to the same one beside me, it was very slow.
    Yes it has a filter installed, it looked clean but I'll actually give it a clean.

It's a lot of fun, I'm just mindful of pissing other drivers off if I'm going too slow.

Bike
    motocompo
    Have you ever changed the engine oil in 11,500km?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    ... I agree the $185 might be money well spent, I'm just worried I'll spend $185 to be told 'don't bother spending $185 on it'.
    If you can get it running a little better ... it will at least be worth what you paid for it. Here's hoping ...

Yes the spark plug is the same number/same plug. Old one didn't actually look too bad.
    If you still have it, put it back in and see if there is any change (better or worse). I've had dud plugs from new ... if it makes no difference try closing the gap at the bottom electrode a little.

I'll take another look at the suction line.
    The same size as the original at least.

I drained the tank, but didn't clean it out, and I haven't yet replaced the filter.
    Fill the tank with fresh fuel and then siphon it out with a bit of (garden type) hose and vacuum out the inside bottom of the tank. You can pour it back into the tank through a cloth to filter out any shit that was in the tank. 91 fuel will be fine.

I haven't touched the fuel/air mix screws. I read that carbs can 'wear out'. How does that happen?
    There are a few things that do wear out ... like the pin holding the fuel float in place. If it isn't set right it flood the carb by not shutting off fuel or shutting off too soon and starving of fuel.

It's four stroke, which I appreciate means it's not going to be speed racer. But as I say, compared to the same one beside me, it was very slow.
    IT may have had a larger engine. And no blue smoke wherever you go (Hopefully). It still needs revs though ... Give it heaps. Has it gears or auto .. ???

Yes it has a filter installed, it looked clean but I'll actually give it a clean.
    Looks can be deceiving ... at least you know it will be clean ... (Is it a paper one or foam ??)

It's a lot of fun, I'm just mindful of pissing other drivers off if I'm going too slow.
    Do what you can but keep left. They'll get over it ... eventually ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Have you ever changed the engine oil in 11,500km?
    I think she just got it ...

Thread Information