Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yamaha XV500 project- piston ring question

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    You're both part correct IMO. Yamaha watercooled 4T's have pressed in sleeves. I'd pick that the casting is externally identical for both engines but they both have the same thickness sleeves...
    Whic leads to the point that 3mm overbore in a 500 is probably quite feasible. They're usually quite generous with sleeve thickness but wouldn't IMO have done an extra thick sleeve for the 500 version.
    This is a Virago isnt it Grumph? cooling by the wind in your hair, fueled by freedom and as american as warm saki.
    My thoughts on it having the same sleve od are driven by it having the same base gasket.
    The same head part number was a bit of a surprise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    When the Japanese make an engine they cast the cylinders around the sleeve. They do this as it gives a better heat transfer. Well back then they did.
    Just reading the specs on the XV500 (actually 494cc) and they tell us the cast iron sleeves are pressed into the aluminum cylinder castings.

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mo...500_virago.htm

Here are the specs for the XV535 ... SAME HP at the same RPM with 1.4 Nm of torque increase on the XV535. As such ... the cost and trouble of increasing the engine size just might not be worth the effort. Or any bragging rights ...

Looking through the specs ... the 535 has a slower top speed (15 km/hr slower)and slower 1/4 mile time. Any gains on the larger bike might be all smoke and mirrors ...

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mo...a_xv535_97.htm
    Last edited by FJRider; 22nd March 2019 at 21:32. Reason: Added more info
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Just reading the specs on the XV500 (actually 494cc) and they tell us the cast iron sleeves are pressed into the aluminum cylinder castings.

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mo...500_virago.htm

Here are the specs for the XV535 ... SAME HP at the same RPM with 1.4 Nm of torque increase on the XV535. As such ... the cost and trouble of increasing the engine size just might not be worth the effort. Or any bragging rights ...

Looking through the specs ... the 535 has a slower top speed (15 km/hr slower)and slower 1/4 mile time. Any gains on the larger bike might be all smoke and mirrors ...

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mo...a_xv535_97.htm
    All very interesting so should rebuild it as std then
    ps did you read the first post?
    the one where you cant get rings for them in std bore
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    All very interesting so should rebuild it as std then
    ps did you read the first post?
    the one where you cant get rings for them in std bore
    Tell all those vintage vehicle owners ... they can no longer buy parts for their vehicles ... and when they stop laughing ...

Cunning with a dash of lateral thinking is needed. Sometimes thinking IS difficult ... As you often demonstrate ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Tell all those vintage vehicle owners ... they can no longer buy parts for their vehicles ... and when they stop laughing ...

Cunning with a dash of lateral thinking is needed. Sometimes thinking IS difficult ... As you often demonstrate ...
    Do you ever read the threads (sober) before you post in them FJ
    This was also suggested earlier on.
    this way you will avoid becoming the KB in joke rather than just spoiling them.

Like in this instance explained to you last night on another thread
    I even took the trouble and sent a message explaining the joke to you in this thread.
    You stillncouldn't figure it out anyway.

So i will spell it out Agin is this XR200 engine thread we are trying to get someone in possession of a stolen engine to take it to the police station.

So here is an idea, try not to tell the person not to take the stolen engine to the police.
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...post1131128410
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by arpa View Post
    Hi All, I drifting further and further in my recently obtained Yamaha, as it has more issues than I expected. Engine apart, replacement crankshaft and con rods on the way from Ebay, also crankshaft bearings as well.. as is usual, I started to think about replacing all parts which is accessible now, so a bunch of stuff added to the list, like cam chain, sprocket clutch and finally I thought a set of piston ring wouldn't hurt. Not because worn out, just because easy to access.
    That's the point when I started to worry. Standard piston ring set is not available anymore. My research is on its way to find similar/same rings from different bikes, however, it isn't as simple as I expected. I just wondering if anyone came across with piston rings to 73mm bore, compression ring cross section is 1.2x3.3mm, the next ring is taper 1.5x3.1mm and the oil ring is 2.5x3.1mm. The next option would be to modify the piston to accommodate wider rings, especially the compression one. Anyone has done it before? Apparently I can assemble the engine with the original rings, but on the long run, I have to find some solution...
    http://www.angelfire.com/indie/xv500k/chapter3.htm
    here is the wear limits if that helps
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    BMW R1200GS '06
    Thanks for all the brain storming, apparently I try to find a solution for the time when I have to do it. I really appreciate the fact, people with classic bikes/cars always find the way to make their precious artifact work, possibly the way as it was built. I did similar things and I'm not sure how many of us remember the days when mechanics hand carved main bearings out from a rough cast, I do. Anyway, what I try to achieve is a reliable everyday runner on the cost effective way. It seems doable, even with 535 cylinders (probably new) or increase the bore in the existing one with new pistons and rings from the 535. The entire thing started with a good idea, to replace the rings in the current setup, not because anything wrong with it, just because it is apart anyway, as I said earlier, the standard ring set is no longer available. The ring clearance is very close to the wear limit, that's all. I guess I still get a few thousand km out of this engine without do anything with the cylinders.
    So I have to make it run first, as I'm waiting for the replacement crank shaft and bearings....

Bike
    BMW R1200GS '06
    Just a quick update, the bike is back on the road now, with original pistons rings and cylinders. Seems ok for now.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Well done. Now ride it till it really does need attention. Which will be a long way off with luck.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Put away $100 every couple of weeks. And when it dies find a GS500. You wont believe the handling and brakes. The performance will blow you away. As will the economy .

I'm not trying to be a prick (comes naturally) but as we get older there's only so much life and best enjoy riding.

. . . . And those who know me will be shocked I'm not suggesting an RZ350.

. . . Which of course I would if they weren't so expensive.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    BMW R1200GS '06
    Great bikes... I guess by the time my XV completely dies, I can afford something quite expensive if I follow your suggestion to put aside a houndy here and there... I was looking at the GS 500, ER 500, CB 500 earlier, but I ended up to buy this. I actually quite like it even if it isn't as fast or powerful. One thing makes me think, not much part available as it was in a pretty short production... so I might start to accumulate some money....

Thread Information