Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand new to bikes in West Auckland

Bike
    2019 Yamaha MT-03

Brand new to bikes in West Auckland

Hi guys,

I've ridden a bike a few times around 20 years ago, but since then, other then riding scooters overseas, I've never contemplated on riding in Auckland due to being extremely aware of how terribly unaware most drivers tend to be.
    With traffic getting really bad this year, and changing jobs which means I'll now be commuting from Te Atatu to South Auckland and/or Parnell, I've decided to convince my wife that "I'll be ok on a bike". It didn't go smoothly, but eventually she gritted her teeth and agreed.

I've now done the BHS and got my learners - so I'm onto the exciting part of getting a bike!
    I really like the look of naked bikes, so I have a few choices there, although I'm wondering whether limiting my budget to a second hand bike for my very first bike is a good idea? I'd like to try and spend between $2-4k on the bike alone, and I do like a bit of excitement, so I'm currently leaning towards a 1995-onwards Honda Hornet 250cc (although I have not yet ridden one). By the way, I'm around 185cm and 95kgs, so I need to not look ridiculous and it needs to have some oomph...
    Ideally I'd love to have a Triumph Speed Triple, Ducati Monster 659 or similar, but I'm not convinced I want to overspend on my first bike as I'm worried that learner's mistakes will be made.

Any suggestions for other options to be looking out for?

I look forward to getting out there!
    Kris

Bike
    Honda vt250 spada
    Kawasaki er5 and suzuki gs500 come to mind. Maybe a gb400/500 if budget allows. At 178 and 65kg soaking wet I’m a little hunched on my spada (see also: vtr250) but I get to keep the agility.
    Perhaps a hyosung 650 or just something with a bigger frame than the hornet.
    In the 09 our options are pretty vast; 4g will get you a lot of bike. Keep lookin and welcome to the good life.

Bike
    suzuki
    honda bros all the way

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Get a Busa.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    suzuki gixxer (the 155cc...) ideal and easy to self-service, reliable bike to cut teeth on, as you will probably drop it and/or have it smashed in by a car --- enough speed for motorway + fun and you will learn/relearn how to ride, and taking the bike to the limit will develop your skills better than jumping on anything big straight away (carrying speed and planning all maneuvers/backup plans), then sell for ~$500-1000 less than you paid for it and upgrade to your dream bike. sorted

(bet you will regret selling it afterwards too)

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    As stated above, buy something small and disposable.. it will get dropped and you will learn much more then on a big bike

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    And what budget have you put aside for gear?

You want to commute so you need gear that'll protect you in all situations - both weather and, in the unlikely event, an "off"...

Many will suggest textiles for commuting, others will suggest leather. Have a look at the RideForEver site, if you haven't already, and see what they say about gear - https://www.rideforever.co.nz/buying-gear/

There are other sites that'll give you information and opinion about gear.

With gear it is all about "fit" - fits you properly and fit for purpose.

Bike
    2019 Yamaha MT-03
    Thanks everyone, I plan to visit a few dealerships and try a few different bikes to see what feels right first, before making a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    And what budget have you put aside for gear?
    Gear is definitely a higher priority than a 'nice' bike, don't worry. I don't ever plan to be riding in shorts and jandals...

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Statek View Post
    Thanks everyone, I plan to visit a few dealerships and try a few different bikes to see what feels right first, before making a decision.
    Have a look at this: http://cycle-ergo.com/

Will give you an idea of how you might fit on a particular bike.

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Whatever you buy - think about security (ie. when parked - there's ~8 hours of opportunity time for someone to do something) and luggage.

Do you need to transport work, lunch, laptop? Suit to wear once you get to the office? I decided a waterproof top box was the best solution for me.

Do you need a lock or chain, do you have access to secure parking? Etc. After my first bike got run over in a dedicated motorbike park outside work, I now park in the work building (secure, swipe card access).

Bike
    2019 Yamaha MT-03
    Thanks for all the extra ideas on what to consider!

I did manage to sneak out of work to do a few test drives at the dealerships in Takapuna.
    Rode a brand new Yamaha MT-03, new but old model Honda CB300F, and a 2013 CB500F.
    I decided to try the Yamaha after looking at a few cheaper second-hand bikes and the salesman ushering me towards it. I thought it'd be nice to get a benchmark so I took it out. Loved it, excellent bike, I felt really in control and comfortable on it, even though it was my first real bike ride.
    The CB300F felt too small and I didn't find it anywhere near as comfortable as the MT-03.
    CB500F was a larger bike so tried that, and while I thought it was pretty ok, I much preferred the MT-03 (considering the Honda was only slightly cheaper).

The MT-03 is currently $7k including ORC. CB300F was around $6k and the CB500F was $6.5.

Also went to take a look at an '03 VTR250, but the bike didn't start well initially and, when asked, the guy wouldn't let me ride it. That was $3k.

I'll have a look at a few more bikes this weekend, second-hand and new, but I'm seriously considering trading in a favour with the Mrs to get a newer bike.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    At $7k, you could also look at something like a BMW G310R.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    At $7k, you could also look at something like a BMW G310R.
    Why would you look at one of those ?

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Why would you look at one of those ?

They are not that bad mechanically. I have the G310GS. Bought it 7 months ago and so far it's only spent one week in the shop (currently in the shop with fried stator windings, possible burnt rectifier and completely dead battery). Otherwise it goes well.

Bike
    Honda vt250 spada
    MT03 seems to be a bit of a hit. Bloke I know down south wants one. They aren’t my bag but I guess they do everything else right.
    Shame about the vtr (and the dick in charge of it.

Thread Information