Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie learner biker, need help transporting bike.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tui View Post
    ... But I've decided to try out a motorbike.
    This does sound like a Tui advertisement ... BUT ... Perhaps ... you should "Try out" a smaller motorcycle first ... well at least until you get some confidence/ability and experience ... ACC set up their policy for riders like you.

The clutch and gears are very new to me, and the hilly terrain adds another layer of difficulty when you're new to gears.
    I hope you use a little more foresight in your riding than you do in your purchases ...

There is no flat area where I live and I have to drive past a couple 180deg u-turns that are quite steep uphill to get out of my area. I don't want to do that until I'm proficient with clutch and gears.
    And that thought just occurred to you ... ?? You bought a bike you couldn't ride from where you live ...

... riding downhill sounds like a good idea;
    Downhill's usually have uphills's at the end of them ... that's the down side of downhill ...

I'm quite comfortable with this bike, it feels very stable when I'm on it. Problem is I keep stalling when I ride uphill with no experience in clutch/gears.

Thanks for all the comments you posted so far, guys. Really appreciate it.
    So comfortable you can't ride from your own home.

Just walk over the line you need to do to get round the corners and up the hill. Think it all through ... THEN DO IT.

Whats the worst that could happen ... ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2018 Kawasaki Ninja 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    How did you get it home? Was it delivered?

The trick with clutch is to figure out where the biting point is. Also remember clutch is not all or nothing, you can feather it (or slip it) to get smoother control over slow speed manoeuvreing.
    Thank you.

Yup, it was delivered. I think I might just ring up the guy and see if he's willing to help me out on this, then just pay him for the work.

Bike
    2018 Kawasaki Ninja 650
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    This does sound like a Tui advertisement ... BUT ... Perhaps ... you should "Try out" a smaller motorcycle first ... well at least until you get some confidence/ability and experience ... ACC set up their policy for riders like you.

I hope you use a little more foresight in your riding than you do in your purchases ...

There is no flat area where I live and I have to drive past a couple 180deg u-turns that are quite steep uphill to get out of my area. I don't want to do that until I'm proficient with clutch and gears.

And that thought just occurred to you ... ?? You bought a bike you couldn't ride from where you live ...

Downhill's usually have uphills's at the end of them ... that's the down side of downhill ...

So comfortable you can't ride from your own home.

Just walk over the line you need to do to get round the corners and up the hill. Think it all through ... THEN DO IT.

Whats the worst that could happen ... ???
    Not sure if you're trying to get some attention with your condescending sarcasm mate, but I don't see it as funny in any way, nor is your post of any help to any beginner bikers. I don't have any biker friends, so this community and youtube are my only source for learning.

And please stop trolling this post.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    How did you get it home? Was it delivered?

The trick with clutch is to figure out where the biting point is. Also remember clutch is not all or nothing, you can feather it (or slip it) to get smoother control over slow speed manoeuvreing.
    Friction zone, that's the trick. You are my hero.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    this is why people should learn in a grass field on a dirt bike first, machine skills first, then road skills

Bike
    KTM
    Not sure if you're trying to get some attention with your condescending sarcasm mate, but I don't see it as funny in any way, nor is your post of any help to any beginner bikers. I don't have any biker friends, so this community and youtube are my only source for learning.

And please stop trolling this post.
    you're getting pretty defensive man

multiple people (including myself) have given you tips, tricks, ideas and encouragement

your response?

'I'll pay some dude to come pick me up take me to a carpark then trailer my bike home'

that's what you said in your first post, so why not just do that if you are so inclined?

the other option is to back yourself, get on the damn thing and ride it

if you wig out, freak out, don't like it, hate it, crash - motorcycling is not for you!

it's not easy, there are no words or video you can read or watch to magically tell you how to change gears and not hamfist yourself into a parked car.

practice makes perfect

Bike
    2018 Kawasaki Ninja 650
    Thanks guys, in that case I'll get a small 125cc bike to start off with, like GazzaH suggested, as it seems to be the safest and most recommended. Just means I'll have to leave my ninja in the garage for awhile; maybe come back to it in a couple months after I feel I can tame that creature.

I don't see anywhere you can hire a 125cc bike here, so I'll shop around for a 2nd hand one, then just leave it at an empty parking lot for practice.

Appreciate all your tips and support! Cheers.

Bike
    2009 Husqvarna SM610ie
    If you get into a real pickle or are having difficulty hit me up. I'm down Waiwhetu, so not far to help out a budding biker.

Bike
    2018 Kawasaki Ninja 650
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMasterJ View Post
    If you get into a real pickle or are having difficulty hit me up. I'm down Waiwhetu, so not far to help out a budding biker.
    Thanks man! Thats really nice of you!

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries

I don't see anywhere you can hire a 125cc bike here, so I'll shop around for a 2nd hand one, then just leave it at an empty parking lot for practice.
    May I respectfully suggest you ride the 125 home? You won't learn to ride it by leaving it in a parking lot. It would likely vanish in short order too.

You said you had a scooter so the main difference between that and a small bike is learning to use the clutch. The bigger bike is another story but if you take a sensible approach you should get there.

Once you've got the small bike check out riding courses.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    May I respectfully suggest you ride the 125 home? You won't learn to ride it by leaving it in a parking lot. It would likely vanish in short order too.

You said you had a scooter so the main difference between that and a small bike is learning to use the clutch. The bigger bike is another story but if you take a sensible approach you should get there.

Once you've got the small bike check out riding courses.
    Theres a bit of a gap in the subsidised training market there.

Ride Forever courses are not the place for someone learning to change gears. The instructor has more than just you to deal with, so can't devote the individual attention to you without leaving the others.

Most schools can do some one on one to help you learn, then you can use your own bike to practise.

Once you're up and running a Ride Forever course is great value, at $20 for the day.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Ride Forever courses are not the place for someone learning to change gears.
    If you get a car license with an Auto gearbox ... what are the restrictions regarding vehicles you are allowed to drive .. ???

Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Once you're up and running a Ride Forever course is great value, at $20 for the day.
    The UP (the hill) bit ... is the bit he's scared of ...

It seems money is not the issue. Just no ability to ride a geared motorcycle ... Regardless of the bikes cc rating.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2018 Kawasaki Ninja 650
    @pritch & rastuscat: thanks guys, I'll make sure I'm good with gears first then take that $20 course. After that, see if I can jump on my 650.

Thanks for the encouragement pritch.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Car auto license is for restricted stage and learner stage. Full license is the same. Unless things have changed very recently.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Auto car license I believe is only up to restricted stage. At full, it's the same.
    Beat me to it.

If you get your 1R in an auto you can only drive an auto on your 1R. However, during your 1R, you can drive a manual PROVIDED YOU ARE ACCOMPANIED BY A FULL LICENCE HOLDER WHO'S HAD IT FOR OVER 2 YEARS.

It's so you can learn to drive a manual while holding 1R.

Twisty, turny things, license laws.

Thread Information