Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie learner biker, need help transporting bike.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Given your skill with your right hand Bro, I thought you'd have taken the back brake off your Gixxer to save weight
    Ha I don't need to go complicating it any further! But that said, even on a sportsbike the rear brake still has its role.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Beat me to it.

If you get your 1R in an auto you can only drive an auto on your 1R. However, during your 1R, you can drive a manual PROVIDED YOU ARE ACCOMPANIED BY A FULL LICENCE HOLDER WHO'S HAD IT FOR OVER 2 YEARS.

It's so you can learn to drive a manual while holding 1R.

Twisty, turny things, license laws.
    I remember teaching my teenage son driving a couple of years ago on a manual transmission. Poor clutch on hill starts. It had to be done as it's a testing requirement.

I'm new to motorcycles myself, just last couple of years. But years of driving a manual car helped me greatly with accelerator, gear and clutch control (no biggie really). Biggest mental block was dry clutch slipping in a car is very bad vs wet clutch slipping in a motorcycle is not as bad (both repeatedly).

Last tip, slowing down and stopping downhill with engine braking is wonderful, never just rely on the brakes alone. General rule of thumb is to use the same gear for the uphill part when coming down the same hill (i.e. if you need to be in 2nd gear to go up a hill, use the same 2nd gear to come down the same hill). Engine braking is your friend.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    I remember teaching my teenage son driving a couple of years ago on a manual transmission. Poor clutch on hill starts. It had to be done as it's a testing requirement.

I'm new to motorcycles myself, just last couple of years. But years of driving a manual car helped me greatly with accelerator, gear and clutch control (no biggie really). Biggest mental block was dry clutch slipping in a car is very bad vs wet clutch slipping in a motorcycle is not as bad (both repeatedly).

Last tip, slowing down and stopping downhill with engine braking is wonderful, never just rely on the brakes alone. General rule of thumb is to use the same gear for the uphill part when coming down the same hill (i.e. if you need to be in 2nd gear to go up a hill, use the same 2nd gear to come down the same hill). Engine braking is your friend.
    Bang on.

The reason to use lower gears going downhill is to lift your revs up into a more useful range. Further up the rev range you get more engine braking and better acceleration.

Bike
    KTM
    How are you getting on, buddy?

been a couple of weeks now, you've either crashed or are riding around with the wind in your hair

which?

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)

Not another "I need help, but I'll do what I want anyway" post?

Tui, seems some people gave some tips, some gave you some stick - welcome to kiwibiker! My advice is that you get proper training.

Go back to school http://twobaldbikers.co.nz they do a good 2 hour training session on a hire bike for the cost of a few days trailer hire $150. You said you did BHS on a scooter, WTF man? You cannot do a motorcycle test on an automatic scooter. You do the test on a hire bike if you have to, so you get confident in switching gears and stopping without stalling. Riding around a carpark for a while might get you some familiarity with your bike on the flat, but you seriously need training.

Youtube is full of Americans on "liter bikes" who think they're qualified to teach you after riding a bike for only a couple of years themselves. A tutor will give you feedback, correct your mistakes and give you answers to your questions. If you aren't interested in a tutored session with one on one attention on a test bike, I suggest you buy a scooter instead, a 300cc will get you to motorway speeds.

HOW TO LEARN TO RIDE:
    Study, do BHST (On a motocycle!) Do licence test
    Get tuition on a test bike (since you don't know anyone else who rides who can help).
    Get tuition on your own bike, learn about hill starts etc...
    Do Ride Forever training Bronze - now you're ready to ...

Do CBTA Restricted
    In Wellington, go along to the WARS Tuesday 6:30pm evening group rides from Avalon Park duckpond, held over summer.
    Do Ride forever Silver

Do CBTA Full

Enjoy the ride for a year
    Do Silver again
    Do Ride forever Gold
    Become a seasoned rider and look back at this moment and realise what a complete and utter noob you really were.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonicorn View Post
    Tui, seems some people gave some tips, some gave you some stick - welcome to kiwibiker! My advice is that you get proper training.

Go back to school http://twobaldbikers.co.nz they do a good 2 hour training session on a hire bike for the cost of a few days trailer hire $150. You said you did BHS on a scooter, WTF man? You cannot do a motorcycle test on an automatic scooter. You do the test on a hire bike if you have to, so you get confident in switching gears and stopping without stalling. Riding around a carpark for a while might get you some familiarity with your bike on the flat, but you seriously need training.

Youtube is full of Americans on "liter bikes" who think they're qualified to teach you after riding a bike for only a couple of years themselves. A tutor will give you feedback, correct your mistakes and give you answers to your questions. If you aren't interested in a tutored session with one on one attention on a test bike, I suggest you buy a scooter instead, a 300cc will get you to motorway speeds.

HOW TO LEARN TO RIDE:
    Study, do BHST (On a motocycle!) Do licence test
    Get tuition on a test bike (since you don't know anyone else who rides who can help).
    Get tuition on your own bike, learn about hill starts etc...
    Do Ride Forever training Bronze - now you're ready to ...

Do CBTA Restricted
    In Wellington, go along to the WARS Tuesday 6:30pm evening group rides from Avalon Park duckpond, held over summer.
    Do Ride forever Silver

Do CBTA Full

Enjoy the ride for a year
    Do Silver again
    Do Ride forever Gold
    Become a seasoned rider and look back at this moment and realise what a complete and utter noob you really were.

I'm with you on most of what you said. But.

You are allowed to do your BHST on any motorcycle (not moped), auto or manual. It's in the Statement of Approved Conditions.

In my experience, it's actually just as hard on an auto bike (scooter, for example Suzuki AN125) as on a GN 125 with a clutch. Auto bikes don't tend to be as consistent in the throttle as geared bikes, making speed control challenging.

You're welcome.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    Clutch is your friend for sure especially for wheelies

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)
    I'm with you on most of what you said. But.

You are allowed to do your BHST on any motorcycle (not moped), auto or manual. It's in the Statement of Approved Conditions.

In my experience, it's actually just as hard on an auto bike (scooter, for example Suzuki AN125) as on a GN 125 with a clutch. Auto bikes don't tend to be as consistent in the throttle as geared bikes, making speed control challenging.

You're welcome.
    Uh I stand corrected, always thought it required a motorcycle for motorcycle licence. Live and learn I guess, thanks.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0F...9GwRHUsuBjM0jA

One of the better channels to learn from.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonicorn View Post
    Uh I stand corrected, always thought it required a motorcycle for motorcycle licence. Live and learn I guess, thanks.
    It's a matter of terminology. A moped is not a motorcycle.

But a scooter can be a motorcycle, or a moped. For example, Burgmans. They are scooters, and they are motorcycles.

Thread Information