Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emergency tyre kits

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Interesting. I have just done a dog turd repair on my str rear. I did hundreds of them on car tyres about 25 years ago, when I worked at a garage. But this is a bike. I will monitor closely as I have been known to go a little fast on occasion......

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Yeah it's only to get you home. Then internal plug if the tyre isn't too damaged.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1988 Suzuki GSXR750J
    Thanks for all the reply's, so as a follow up,

I settled on a "dog turd" type kit, co incidentally, the next group ride I went on, someone got a flat and had to have a repair done on their tyre with someone else's "dog turd" kit, so got to see the repair in action.
    In seeing that the 3 CO cylinders only got the tyre back up to 21psi, I ended up getting a small type 12v compressor as well.

Happy riding

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by blue35 View Post
    I ended up getting a small type 12v compressor as well.
    Best thing you could have done.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Interesting thread thanks. Sounds like I should get some fresh turds.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by blue35 View Post
    Thanks for all the reply's, so as a follow up,

I settled on a "dog turd" type kit, co incidentally, the next group ride I went on, someone got a flat and had to have a repair done on their tyre with someone else's "dog turd" kit, so got to see the repair in action.
    In seeing that the 3 CO cylinders only got the tyre back up to 21psi, I ended up getting a small type 12v compressor as well.

Happy riding
    What compressor have you gone with?

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    This is a good one: https://www.mxstore.com.au/p/MotoPre...waAmc3EALw_wcB

I have an SAE connector under the seat that I can plug mine into, which also lets me plug a charger to the bike when needed.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Husqvarna TE 2007
    I used the dog turd string for the first time on the bike a month ago, easy to use, have now got three larger CO2 canisters which should fill the rear, I also have a small bicycle pump which is good for 70 psi, CO2 canisters will go to 120 psi if you have enough of them so don't over do it

Bike
    1988 Suzuki GSXR750J
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    What compressor have you gone with?
    After looking at super cheap and repco (all to big to strip down from what was in stock imo), I got one basically the same as linked by MarkH, paid more due to wanting it now, and available in a bike shop. I forgot about the 1st cheaper suggestion from the links in the first reply to my original post, oh well.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Best way to avoid ever getting a puncture is to carry a kit. I've carried one of those rubber sticky plugs + mini compressed air canisters for years and never needed it myself. In saying that I've twice used it to help a buddy get home. Of course now I'm down to two air canisters that are probably flat. I know if I stop carrying it - that will be the trip I need it.

Late 70s I got a flat near Murchison and a rider came along on a Goldwing and had a handy hose that simply screwed into a spark plug hole and the other end into the tyre valve. It used the running engine to pump my tyre up. We had to stop ever mile to re-inflate but it got me to the next town quicker than walking. Won't work to well on a single cylinder engine though.

The canisters don't inflate the tyre much but certainly get you to the next garage (gently does it).
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Thread Information