Advertise with Kiwi Biker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Newbie wanting advice.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    29th March 2019 - 11:37
    Bike
    Nothing... yet
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    7

    Newbie wanting advice.

    Hi all,

    I'm interested in a Kawasaki Balius 250 as a learner bike (it looks good and sounds even better) and I seen only 1 for sale, they say it's a 2008 model making it the last of the 2nd gens but it looks more like a 1st base on images.
    I was wondering if anyone with more knowledge than I could give an opinion.
    Not sure what the rules are with posting trademe listing so I'll just say it's the only running Balius on there.

    Cheers,
    Hiptro

    Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    28th January 2015 - 16:17
    Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Location
    Lower Hutt
    Posts
    1,080
    Hi Hiptro,

    Don't be shy about posting the TM listing, we do it on Optimistic Sellers all the time. I've just gone and looked up the ad - here for the curious:

    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...150df975a101d4

    The bike: first I've never actually seen one of these in the metal, let alone heard it running or ridden one, but the claim of more poke than any single or twin 250 needs to be taken with a big grain of salt. Yes, it's LAMs, yes it'll beat other 250's. You're not stuck with a 250cc limit under the LAMs scheme any more.

    You can get 400's, 500's, even up to some 650s if memory serves. There's a power to weight limit and a horsepower limit, but we're not stuck with pokey 250's any more. There's a list of approved LAMs rides. If the bike's on it, you're OK (you're not if it's modified in any way whatever though so watch out for those aftermarket mufflers).

    The second thing, from looking at the ad: it's been cleaned up a bit and it has a nice new set of headers. Go looking further and there is a lot of corroded chrome, rotting alloy and rusted fasteners showing. Low mileage isn't the whole story: time and weathering also affects reliability.

    Tyres: given the low mileage, it wasn't used a lot per year... there's a chance that the rubber is old. That means it's gone off and will give up grip without any warning, instead of gradually letting go as newer rubber will do. If you do buy this bike, check the date of manufacture code on the sidewalls and if they're older than 5 years, it's best to change them out, still treaded or not.

    My opinion is that for $5K5 you can get rather a lot of secondhand, 10 y.o. or less LAMs bike - there are other options. But hey if it's the one then go for it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    29th March 2019 - 11:37
    Bike
    Nothing... yet
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Hi Hiptro,

    Don't be shy about posting the TM listing, we do it on Optimistic Sellers all the time. I've just gone and looked up the ad - here for the curious:

    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...150df975a101d4

    The bike: first I've never actually seen one of these in the metal, let alone heard it running or ridden one, but the claim of more poke than any single or twin 250 needs to be taken with a big grain of salt. Yes, it's LAMs, yes it'll beat other 250's. You're not stuck with a 250cc limit under the LAMs scheme any more.

    You can get 400's, 500's, even up to some 650s if memory serves. There's a power to weight limit and a horsepower limit, but we're not stuck with pokey 250's any more. There's a list of approved LAMs rides. If the bike's on it, you're OK (you're not if it's modified in any way whatever though so watch out for those aftermarket mufflers).

    The second thing, from looking at the ad: it's been cleaned up a bit and it has a nice new set of headers. Go looking further and there is a lot of corroded chrome, rotting alloy and rusted fasteners showing. Low mileage isn't the whole story: time and weathering also affects reliability.

    Tyres: given the low mileage, it wasn't used a lot per year... there's a chance that the rubber is old. That means it's gone off and will give up grip without any warning, instead of gradually letting go as newer rubber will do. If you do buy this bike, check the date of manufacture code on the sidewalls and if they're older than 5 years, it's best to change them out, still treaded or not.

    My opinion is that for $5K5 you can get rather a lot of secondhand, 10 y.o. or less LAMs bike - there are other options. But hey if it's the one then go for it.
    Thanks heaps OddDuck, i'll make sure to watch out for all you mentioned when I look at other bikes. But as far as cc and speed is concerned I'm happy with a 250 since I'm a small guy and seat height is the main factor in my choice.
    Thanks again.

    Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    3rd October 2006 - 21:21
    Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Location
    in the hot sun
    Posts
    3,395
    Yep that Balius is way overpriced. You could get a nice SV650lams for that just as an example and prob cheaper insurance...
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    13th April 2018 - 20:36
    Bike
    2015 CBR1000rr
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    88

    You're wanting to know if it's a first or second generation?

    If the bikewiki is accurate, I agree with you - definitely looks like a gen 1, the pillion footpegs and bodywork under the seat look exactly the same as gen 1. Maybe a japanese import judging by the writing on the sticker, maybe first registered in NZ 2008?

    http://bikeswiki.com/Kawasaki_ZR250_Balius

    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...150df975a101d4

    It's not in good condition and odo could have been around the clock once already, like it can be on older bikes with "low ks".

  6. #6
    Join Date
    27th November 2012 - 11:25
    Bike
    '16 xtz125, '03 fireblade
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    925
    Blog Entries
    13
    a learner SV as mentioned would be much more and betererer bike for that money, but that a huge budget for a bike you're probably gonna either bin or get rid of in the next year or two ---- just buy a brand new suzuki gixxer SF will do 120, will be reliable, will be easy to do even valve clearances/tire changes on your own and best of all they're stable and sweeeeet for practicing carrying speed through corners unlike a lot of older/learner bikes out there and have good brakes. all this for ~3K bargain.

    only have 1 day left to peg down 0% deposit 6 months interest free from suzukifest if that is needed but with your budget its probably a cash buy so haggle the first service free in the deal

  7. #7
    Join Date
    24th September 2008 - 01:32
    Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Location
    Dunedin
    Posts
    3,588
    Quote Originally Posted by hiptroshrec View Post
    Thanks heaps OddDuck, i'll make sure to watch out for all you mentioned when I look at other bikes. But as far as cc and speed is concerned I'm happy with a 250 since I'm a small guy and seat height is the main factor in my choice.
    Thanks again.

    Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk
    Id agree with above, way better bikes around for the same money.

    as for the cc rating - forget about it, cc isnt everything, there are lots of bigger bikes with smooth, lazy engines that will actually be far more rideable in certain riding situations (e.g. cruising on the motorway on a sv650 vs wringing out a 250 to stay with traffic flow)

    have you tried getting some test rides on anything yet to actually compare what theyre like to ride?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    29th March 2019 - 11:37
    Bike
    Nothing... yet
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    Id agree with above, way better bikes around for the same money.

    as for the cc rating - forget about it, cc isnt everything, there are lots of bigger bikes with smooth, lazy engines that will actually be far more rideable in certain riding situations (e.g. cruising on the motorway on a sv650 vs wringing out a 250 to stay with traffic flow)

    have you tried getting some test rides on anything yet to actually compare what theyre like to ride?
    Haven't ridden anything yet but I hope to this week. I thought I'd streamline the process by getting some advice

    Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    14th July 2006 - 21:39
    Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    9,075
    Blog Entries
    8
    Never seen one, which in it's self is a potential problem if you require parts.

    Overpriced for what it is in my opinion. Advert claim is interesting as the IL4 250's I've ridden where gutless until you thrashed the F out of them.

    You need to look further. Try newer better known sexier bikes like:

    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...4baa93c699fff0

    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...4baa93c699fff0

    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...4baa93c699fff0

    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...4baa93c699fff0

    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...8fed4a70b70b43

  10. #10
    Join Date
    3rd March 2008 - 11:55
    Bike
    0094473185
    Location
    Riding the evil flatlands
    Posts
    2,127
    The days of 250 4's being worth money because it was the only way to get 40hp with the 250 limit are, thankfully, gone.

    If you like the naked bike thing, and something that sounds good, for less money you can buy this....

    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...83ad0e2d62885e
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

    Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

  11. #11
    Join Date
    27th November 2012 - 11:25
    Bike
    '16 xtz125, '03 fireblade
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    925
    Blog Entries
    13
    a '93 ducati for a newbie... hitting the almost legal weed early tonight or somthing?....

  12. #12
    Join Date
    29th March 2019 - 11:37
    Bike
    Nothing... yet
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    a '93 ducati for a newbie... hitting the almost legal weed early tonight or somthing?....
    As cool as a Ducati is, I'm inclined to agree with you

    Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    14th July 2006 - 21:39
    Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    9,075
    Blog Entries
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by hiptroshrec View Post
    As cool as a Ducati is, I'm inclined to agree with you

    Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk
    Pussy, get into it it will be more reliable than a girlfriend.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    28th January 2015 - 16:17
    Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Location
    Lower Hutt
    Posts
    1,080
    Ducati 400SS: Nooooooo don't do it!!

    I love my 900SS but sweet jesus I have been through the wringer with that bike... they sound great, sweet handling, huge fun to ride but they don't age well unless looked after and it's at the mileage where a lot of problems start happening.

    I'd expect to have to put in new brake lines front and rear, new timing belts, new clutch line, check the connectors to the rec-reg from the stator and replace with something gold plated and rated to 60 amps or so. The stock Mikuni carbs will wear emulsion tubes into ovals around this mileage, that means fuelling problems and rough running, but it's not that expensive to fix. The biggie with these bikes is the frame. The top rail has a very open triangle at the front and it flexes under bumps or braking. Cracks at or near the headstock welds are almost inevitable after a while, especially if it's been getting used for semi-hooligan fun. Just from the TM photos I can see that a fairing retainer washer wasn't replaced properly after it fell off so it doesn't look like any real bucks have been spent on it.

    All that said, sounds like you're already avoiding it - just pointing this out for anyone thinking of maybe getting a cheap commuter.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    3rd October 2006 - 21:21
    Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Location
    in the hot sun
    Posts
    3,395
    You have to be either a masochist or a mechanic to own a Ducati or possibly both, not suitable for a first bike IMO.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •