Thread: Absolute beginner needing experienced advice

Bike
    Pushbike

Absolute beginner needing experienced advice

Hey everyone, I’m interested in buying a bike for general commuting and am keen on a cruiser. I’m on a budget, not too keen on spending anything over $5k for a first bike. On trademe there seems to be popular listings on GN125, GN250, Hyosung, Yamaha Scorpios and a few others. Any idea which would be a best beginner bike out of these or if there’s any other recommendations? I’m 6’1 incase that’s anything to consider...
    Cheers

Bike
    Honda vt250 spada
    Go have a sit on the lot. Like, if it’s lams, go see how you fit. Go from there.
    Personally wouldn’t go for a 125 if you need to do more than 80.
    My 250 gets me on two hour trips on the regular, but not really what it was built for.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Suzuki Boulevard S40? Large capacity LAMs cruiser, single, easy to ride.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by SebSeb View Post
    Hey everyone, I’m interested in buying a bike for general commuting and am keen on a cruiser. I’m on a budget, not too keen on spending anything over $5k for a first bike. On trademe there seems to be popular listings on GN125, GN250, Hyosung, Yamaha Scorpios and a few others. Any idea which would be a best beginner bike out of these or if there’s any other recommendations? I’m 6’1 incase that’s anything to consider...
    Cheers
    I'd go with the Scorpio .. or the Hoysung (not a cruiser)

Forget the GNs, they are rubbish and not a good bike to learn on (a lot here are going to tell you they are the perfect learners' bike adn how they learnt on one - I disagree) .. everyone I know who has learnt on one has had trouble moving to a different bike - taken four or five weeks to get used to something that is not a GN.

If you go with the Scorpio or a Hoysung (not a cruiser) then you will be ale to easily transfer your skills to your next bike - it's harder to transfer skills from the GN road lice to another bike .
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    2018 Moto Guzzi V9
    being so tall you may want to consider something like a BMW GS650 (not a cruiser I know) I understand they are lams approved but correct me if I am mistaken. You may find 250 bikes too small & underpowered for you particularly if you go on the motorway so may be better looking a the 400-600 range. will also be something you can still continue with once you get to your full . If you start too small you will be looking to upgrade in the near future, with your size you should be able to handle something larger.
    SIGN HERE X

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    It's like watching a train wreck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    What a soft cock, who wears pants when posting on facebook?

Thread Information