Advertise with Kiwi Biker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Naked bikes HELP PLEASE

  1. #1
    Join Date
    18th October 2018 - 15:38
    Bike
    2015 cbr600rr
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    27

    Naked bikes HELP PLEASE

    Looking at getting a naked bike and am considering the Triumph Street Triple R (2017+ model) or the MT-09 (2017+).

    Anyone able to tell me which one would be best? Not a professional or very knowledgeable but have owned only Jap bikes before, so know nothing about Triumphs - but keen to hear your thoughts.

    What things are there to look out for? Are Triumphs reliable? will I run into problems often?

    Leaning more towards the Street triple due to its positioning, styling and then looks.

    Any help is much appreciated!

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    6th May 2013 - 20:16
    Bike
    Red-shifted GT250R
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    218
    There was some discussion of that very dilemma on this fine site about 2 weeks ago. Similar-to-MT09

  3. #3
    Join Date
    14th July 2006 - 21:39
    Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    9,083
    Blog Entries
    8
    Both good choices that have proven to be largely trouble free machines. I'd not hesitate to purchase either if they were on my shopping list.

    A Google will find a number of comparisons of the same bikes that may help.

    https://www.visordown.com/reviews/ro...s-yamaha-mt-09

  4. #4
    Join Date
    6th May 2013 - 20:16
    Bike
    Red-shifted GT250R
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    218
    And related discussion here (Duke 790 over the 765 Street Triple): Ageing-biker-goes-left-field

    Hope that helps a bit.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    18th October 2018 - 15:38
    Bike
    2015 cbr600rr
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    27
    Thanks guys! have been through the posts - just wondered if you'd have any personal recommendations? are Triumphs unreliable?

    I like both the bikes, and yeah as for the KTM, not a fan of its styling to be fair.

    Thanks!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    27th March 2017 - 11:33
    Bike
    2017 Suzuki SV650UA
    Location
    Hamilton/Auckland
    Posts
    220
    I love my MT-09 so far. It's different from the SV (riding position, sheer power) and I'm still getting used to it, but no regrets (except about the fact the SV hasn't sold yet). It's very raw, though seems to be one of the non-twitchy models (a common complaint in earlier models, ie 2015 and earlier, apparently rectified in subsequent releases).

    I never actually tried the Triumph to compare - still could, my friend has one - but I think they're about 650-odd cc (depending on whether LAMS or full power) vs the MT-09's 847.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    24th April 2014 - 09:16
    Bike
    2016 Yamaha XSR900
    Location
    Russell
    Posts
    359
    Yamaha every time

  8. #8
    Join Date
    22nd October 2002 - 11:00
    Bike
    2019 KTM Duke 790
    Location
    Coromandel Harbour
    Posts
    4,103
    The Street Triple is a reliable bike in either 675 or 765 capacities. In the 6 years I owned a 675, rusting mirror stalks were replaced under warranty and the rectifier was replaced as part of a world wide recall. I replaced my GSX-S 1000 a month ago for something a bit lighter. My betting money was on getting a 765 Street Triple R. A ride on a 790 KTM Duke demonstrator changed my mind. That's what I ended up with and love it to bits. I personally don't think it's actually as attractive as the 765 R but the total impact for me was the clincher. The point is that until you actually ride a shortlist of bikes, you don't know which is going to be "The One". Good luck with sorting out what's right for you.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    23rd February 2007 - 08:47
    Bike
    Suzuki gsxr 600k7. Hayabusa K9 DRZ250 K
    Location
    CHCH
    Posts
    1,905
    I have a triumph ST 675R, 2015. It is a very good bike. Handles very well, great brakes. MUCH better suspension than an MT09, which are laughably bad imho. It has proved 100% reliable in the year I have owned it. I come form a history of Jap bikes and was not keen on a Triumph. This has proved a great purchase but I dont love it, despite it being a very fun bike and the right bike for me!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    7th December 2018 - 16:22
    Bike
    Honda vt250 spada
    Location
    Auckhole
    Posts
    65
    Not the 70s anymore. Can’t see why a triumph wouldn’t be reliable in this day and age.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    18th October 2018 - 15:38
    Bike
    2015 cbr600rr
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    27
    Thanks!! coming off a 2015 cbr600r and being on the taller side (6'3), wanting to get something with that upright positioning.

    I will look into trying the KTM out to see how it feels.

    If you've got any other past experiences with KTM's and Triumphs, pros and cons or cost of maintenance etc. or anything you'd want to look out for etc. do let me know!

    Cheers

  12. #12
    Join Date
    22nd October 2002 - 11:00
    Bike
    2019 KTM Duke 790
    Location
    Coromandel Harbour
    Posts
    4,103
    Quote Originally Posted by mnishi View Post
    Thanks!! coming off a 2015 cbr600r and being on the taller side (6'3), wanting to get something with that upright positioning.

    I will look into trying the KTM out to see how it feels.

    If you've got any other past experiences with KTM's and Triumphs, pros and cons or cost of maintenance etc. or anything you'd want to look out for etc. do let me know!

    Cheers
    It might not appeal at all but have you looked at the GSX-S1000 naked version? I had mine for a bit over 3 years. Couldn't fault its performance or reliability: http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2018/...rm-review.html . Getting something lighter was my primary criterion. It's currently for sale at Boyds in Hamilton.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    9th January 2005 - 22:12
    Bike
    Street Triple R
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    7,437
    Quote Originally Posted by mnishi View Post
    Thanks guys! have been through the posts - just wondered if you'd have any personal recommendations? are Triumphs unreliable?

    I like both the bikes, and yeah as for the KTM, not a fan of its styling to be fair.

    Thanks!
    I have had a 675 Street triple for a number of years now. I don't do a lot of k's on it but lets just say the k's I do are all for pleasure. I have never (touch wood) had an issue with the bike/engine. The only time it ever stopped going on me was when the battery died one day (it was five years old at the time).

    People have raced those engines pretty successfully with minimal modification (cam chain tensioners and oil pumps I think). Plus the 765 motor is being used for Moto 2 ..... my point being that whatever reputation Triumph had in the old days... ignore it. Remember that "old" Triumph died in the 1970's. (they were called Meriden Triumphs.

    Modern Triumphs are called Hinckley Triumphs. There is no relationship between the old firm and the new firm. In fact, John Bloor (Mr Triumph) is a property developer. The story goes that he bought the site of the factory to develop it then realised he owned the brand and everything else so decided to go into the motorbike business. I think thats bullshit myself but it is a nice story.

    From your perspective as the buyer of a new bike you should expect the same levels of reliability as you would get with any bike from a major manufacturer.

    Also, buy the Triumph. Those MT-09's are butt-ugly. Sure, they probably work adequately but they are ugly as sin.
    In the white room, with black curtains, at the station

  14. #14
    Join Date
    18th October 2018 - 15:38
    Bike
    2015 cbr600rr
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I have had a 675 Street triple for a number of years now. I don't do a lot of k's on it but lets just say the k's I do are all for pleasure. I have never (touch wood) had an issue with the bike/engine. The only time it ever stopped going on me was when the battery died one day (it was five years old at the time).

    People have raced those engines pretty successfully with minimal modification (cam chain tensioners and oil pumps I think). Plus the 765 motor is being used for Moto 2 ..... my point being that whatever reputation Triumph had in the old days... ignore it. Remember that "old" Triumph died in the 1970's. (they were called Meriden Triumphs.

    Modern Triumphs are called Hinckley Triumphs. There is no relationship between the old firm and the new firm. In fact, John Bloor (Mr Triumph) is a property developer. The story goes that he bought the site of the factory to develop it then realised he owned the brand and everything else so decided to go into the motorbike business. I think thats bullshit myself but it is a nice story.

    From your perspective as the buyer of a new bike you should expect the same levels of reliability as you would get with any bike from a major manufacturer.

    Also, buy the Triumph. Those MT-09's are butt-ugly. Sure, they probably work adequately but they are ugly as sin.

    Thanks man! I think its time to hit that KTM and make a decision.

    Leaning for the Triumph at this stage!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    18th October 2018 - 15:38
    Bike
    2015 cbr600rr
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    It might not appeal at all but have you looked at the GSX-S1000 naked version? I had mine for a bit over 3 years. Couldn't fault its performance or reliability: http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2018/...rm-review.html . Getting something lighter was my primary criterion. It's currently for sale at Boyds in Hamilton.

    Not wanting a 1000cc to be fair, not that the power scares me but you've got rego, insurance and all that fun stuff.

    Would prefer the middle class stuff

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •