Thread: Electro-gigantasaurus scooter - AKA Curtiss electric motorcycle

Bike
    Street Triple R

Electro-gigantasaurus scooter - AKA Curtiss electric motorcycle

https://advrider.com/curtiss-claims-...ent=04_09_2019

https://www.curtissmotorcycles.com/

While they're right - the future, or part of it, is undboubtedly electric, the thing I am annoyed about is that no one has paid much attention to the basic architecture of how you sit on and operate a motorcycle. For example most obviously the seat bar pegs relationship, but also its nice to grip with your knees* and not slide off the back and get your nads mangled in the wheel.

I am also interested in the really high pivot point for the swingarm (though the chain drive is concentric with it) and its effects on handling.

Leaving aside the differences of being used to a certain look and electric motors and batteries don't have it, this smacks to me of a failure in waiting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	curtiss.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	740.4 KB 
ID:	341495  
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    NC30s
    It's ugly as sin, and a real disappointment after seeing some of the beautiful motorcycles that Confederate (Curtiss) have produced in the past.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I can't get excited about that. Or any electric vehicle. If electric vehicles are the answer it must have been a silly question.

They are not pollution free, they just move the pollution to another location. There is going to be a need for higher electricity generation to cope with the increase in electric vehicles but we must be running out of rivers to dam. We do have lots of coal though, or maybe we could build some nuclear power stations?

Then lithium batteries have the occasional propensity to spontaneously combust, and there's the problem with disposal of the batteries.

Many of my friends now have electric powered bicycles but even these leave me cold.

Whatever spins your crank though???
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    just looks like lazy engineering, what can we pawn off to the cnc machines today chum??? ...

and cool 280 miles range, but then what? hope you're at a super charge station by then and prepared to wait 20-60 mins --- at times PETROL stations are at gridlock for quick filling, immagine the amount of realestate needed to service the same fleet for charging under current battery tech? --- cause everyone remembers to plug in their car the night before right? . . .

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I can't get excited about that. Or any electric vehicle. If electric vehicles are the answer it must have been a silly question.

They are not pollution free, they just move the pollution to another location. There is going to be a need for higher electricity generation to cope with the increase in electric vehicles but we must be running out of rivers to dam. We do have lots of coal though, or maybe we could build some nuclear power stations?

Then lithium batteries have the occasional propensity to spontaneously combust, and there's the problem with disposal of the batteries.

Many of my friends now have electric powered bicycles but even these leave me cold.

Whatever spins your crank though???
    I dont care about pollution in China (manufacture of batteries) and in UnZud 90% percent of our power is sustainably generated. All we need to do is cut the umbilical corporate welfare (looking at you stupid aluminium smelter in fucking bluff for fucks sake) which uses 15% of our power at "mates rates".

its not so much the lithium batteries that fail its the controllers and overvoltage that causes the fires - pedantic I know but it is fixable.

Like any emergent tech, its progressing rapidly. I dont think we can say the same about IC engines.

As for an electric pushbike I am fairly actively (so to speak) looking at them myself....

Bike
    KTM
    not for me thx

Bike
    Exercycle
    Compared to the really good electrics - the Mugen for example - it's poorly thought out.
    Curtis seem to build stuff that's "different" just for the sake of being different. Not necessarily better...

If we finish up racing electric bikes here in my lifetime, I'll probably still be involved. Racing's racing after all...

Bike
    Street Triple R
    That Mugen's a great looking motorbike, regardless of powertrain. Plus you can't sneeze at a 117mph lap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mugen.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	341501  

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    That Mugen's a great looking motorbike, regardless of powertrain. Plus you can't sneeze at a 117mph lap.
    Our team tested alongside that bike at Jurby IOM.
    We gave Lee Johnston a "Yeah Nah Bro" T shirt at the time, bit of an ongoing joke from when he was here.
    They have the torque dialled way back to make it useable.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    So where are these groundbreaking electric bikes that we have seen touted as the future over the last few years? Not much on trade me. Have seen none on the road, apart from Jeff on the Zero doing the Cape Reinga to Bluff feasability trip. Why are the Harley shops not full of their amazing new electric "Jetsons" model?
    kinda self evident really at this stage...
    this new Curtiss is only a pipe dream at this stage, and I bet the developers will just go back to their pipe...
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    just looks like lazy engineering, what can we pawn off to the cnc machines today chum??? ...

and cool 280 miles range, but then what? hope you're at a super charge station by then and prepared to wait 20-60 mins --- at times PETROL stations are at gridlock for quick filling, immagine the amount of realestate needed to service the same fleet for charging under current battery tech? --- cause everyone remembers to plug in their car the night before right? . . .
    Oh cynical. . .

To continue, everyone will set their charging regime for delayed overnight rather than just when the get home thus adding to the power spike. Wont they?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Oh cynical. . .

To continue, everyone will set their charging regime for delayed overnight rather than just when the get home thus adding to the power spike. Wont they?
    Sure they will - but the actual power spike is when everyone comes home and starts cooking dinner...

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    . . . and plugs in their car . That's the point.

But I might want to go out later.

Everyone else can set time delays. I want it charged NOW.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    . . . and plugs in their car . That's the point.

But I might want to go out later.

Everyone else can set time delays. I want it charged NOW.
    One of my workmates has a nissan leaf. She's only had to have one half day off for forgetting to charge it.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I dont care about pollution in China (manufacture of batteries) and in UnZud 90% percent of our power is sustainably generated. All we need to do is cut the umbilical corporate welfare (looking at you stupid aluminium smelter in fucking bluff for fucks sake) which uses 15% of our power at "mates rates".

its not so much the lithium batteries that fail its the controllers and overvoltage that causes the fires - pedantic I know but it is fixable.

Like any emergent tech, its progressing rapidly. I dont think we can say the same about IC engines.

As for an electric pushbike I am fairly actively (so to speak) looking at them myself....
    leave our smelter alone, the power that Tiwai uses comes from a power station purposely built for that purpose, now if you want to save some gigawatts just cut the cable that stops the fish from floating away.

Thread Information