Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Testing rectifier on a Street Triple R 2011

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I got more from Jaycar. Bear in mind where it sits and that in the UK they salt their winter roads
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1998 Honda VTR250
    So I tested the rectifier (again) and stator following the steps shown here (https://www.triumphrat.net/speed-tri...r-upgrade.html) and here are the results:

The rectifier seemed to pass the 'cold' resistance test.
    The stator seemed to pass the resistance test, testing from each pin (1-2, 2-3, 3-1). Results showed low resistance of 0.5-0.6 ohms (supposed to measure very low resistance/almost short circuit).
    Don't think stator passed the second resistance test, testing from each pin to ground - results showed 0.7 ohms resistance.
    Don't think stator passed the AC Voltage test, as pins 1-2 idled at 15-16 volts, 1-3 idled at around 15 volts, and 2-3 idled at around 13-14 volts. These numbers were pretty sporadic, jumping around by anywhere between 0.1-2 volts. at 5k rpm 1-2 and 1-3 were around 45 volts, while 2-3 was 30 volts. The voltage at idle also seemed to drop after increasing the RPM. The guide mentions "At idle this should be ~ 20V* and rise to ~ 70V* at 5K rpm. " so it doesn't seem my stator passed this test.

Ultimately all signs pointing to stator? I guess the next step is to open the stator cover and take a look. Anyone know where I can get a good replacement stator for a good price?

Thanks for all your help so far guys, really appreciate all the info and tips I can get.

Bike
    Sold
    Try Rick's Motorsports in the USA. I know they advertise the 675 version on eBay for about US $250.

Bike
    1998 Honda VTR250
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Try Rick's Motorsports in the USA. I know they advertise the 675 version on eBay for about US $250.
    Thanks. I'm crying now that I realise how much this is going to cost, although I am yet to check the stator itself (but after those tests, it does seem to be the stator). I see there are chinese ones for around $100NZD, but I guess I should steer clear of those. I found a Rick's Motorsports one on ebay for $185USD + $30USD postage (from a reputable seller), even though on Rick's Motorsports website they sell it for $250USD + $60USD postage. I'm hoping it's legit because this will likely be the one I purchase. I suppose I'll have to buy a new gasket too, and may as well do an oil change since I'm going to lose some oil (its pretty much due anyway).

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Bear in mind that it's often the reg/rec that takes out the stator, so make sure your bike has had the recall done.

Sorry, can't help much with replacement Triumph stators.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by BikingBrit View Post
    I found a Rick's Motorsports one on ebay for $185USD + $30USD postage (from a reputable seller), even though on Rick's Motorsports website they sell it for $250USD + $60USD postage.
    I presume we're talking about Rick's stator 21-012? Not sure where you get that inflated price on Rick's site, but I saw it at US$184.95. You may want to look at Amazon who had 1 available from Oemcycles which is showing free shipping to NZ, so total NZ cost of $284.44 at this moment. Make sure to place any order in NZ currency to avoid a foreign currency fee. Oh there was another available at Amazon, but it was slightly dearer at US$187.50 and wasn't free shipping to NZ.

Do you have any history on your bike? Because if it has a proclivity to kill stators, you may want to look at a Series R/R.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    When ordering in NZD from Amazon, you pay Amazon currency exchange rate which I have often found to be worse than what the bank credit card charges even with currency conversion fee.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    You could always do it yourself, or investigate getting a motor rewinder to do it locally, then spend the money saved on a Shindengen r/r ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am7dXzVYMMk
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    1998 Honda VTR250
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I presume we're talking about Rick's stator 21-012? Not sure where you get that inflated price on Rick's site, but I saw it at US$184.95. You may want to look at Amazon who had 1 available from Oemcycles which is showing free shipping to NZ, so total NZ cost of $284.44 at this moment. Make sure to place any order in NZ currency to avoid a foreign currency fee. Oh there was another available at Amazon, but it was slightly dearer at US$187.50 and wasn't free shipping to NZ.

Do you have any history on your bike? Because if it has a proclivity to kill stators, you may want to look at a Series R/R.
    No history on the bike, but looking at the wires going to the stator/rectifier it doesn't seem to have been replaced (at least in recent years). In fact, there is a crimp going from the stator connector wire to the rectifier, so someone has been messing around with it in the past but probably didn't bother to replace it.

Do you think it's worth biting the bullet and just buying a new rectifier too? Although it seems that this one may be alright.

Cheers

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by BikingBrit View Post
    No history on the bike, but looking at the wires going to the stator/rectifier it doesn't seem to have been replaced (at least in recent years). In fact, there is a crimp going from the stator connector wire to the rectifier, so someone has been messing around with it in the past but probably didn't bother to replace it.

Do you think it's worth biting the bullet and just buying a new rectifier too? Although it seems that this one may be alright.

Cheers
    Can you read the part number on the reg/rec? It will be something like FH012AA. A genuine Shindengen is about US$100 from the US. eBay is full of fakes now, but there are a couple of suppliers who sell real ones.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Electrix world in UK did us well for state for my gasgas. Made in UK but in a good way I think.

I actually did the SH847 update but maybe it's fine on the post 11 mosfet versions mine came with.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    When ordering in NZD from Amazon, you pay Amazon currency exchange rate which I have often found to be worse than what the bank credit card charges even with currency conversion fee.
    And here I was thinking I was on to a good thing.

FUCK!
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    1998 Honda VTR250
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Can you read the part number on the reg/rec? It will be something like FH012AA. A genuine Shindengen is about US$100 from the US. eBay is full of fakes now, but there are a couple of suppliers who sell real ones.
    Do you know where this number is located? I'm still a bit iffy about whether or not to buy a new r/r if the current one may not be faulty. But then again, I don't want to spend a fortune on a stator just to have it burn up not knowing the r/r is in fact faulty.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Do the stator and if you are getting like 14V+ or so you'll be fine. Its printed on the reg. Heck I'll get a pic later .

Bike
    husaberg
    You would think all these issues would have ended when they stopped using Lucas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information