Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Testing rectifier on a Street Triple R 2011

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    It's a good job Hondas of the 80s and 90s and 00s are such a shining star in this regard.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    It's a good job Hondas of the 80s and 90s and 00s are such a shining star in this regard.
    Haha! On my 99 Blackbird, the stator fried when touring the south island. Completed the trip with 2 batteries and a charger, using total loss ignition, with lighting circuit fuses pulled . Bastard thing.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by BikingBrit View Post
    Do you know where this number is located? I'm still a bit iffy about whether or not to buy a new r/r if the current one may not be faulty. But then again, I don't want to spend a fortune on a stator just to have it burn up not knowing the r/r is in fact faulty.
    It's on the end opposite the connectors. The MOSFET reg/recs start with FH.

Bike
    1998 Honda VTR250
    So I got round to taking the stator cover off and it looks like 1/3 of it is pretty toasted (see pic below). I haven't managed to get the connector off the R/R so can't see what the number is, hopefully I'll get round to check it but I don't think the rectifier is faulty, so I'll just replace the stator first and see how it goes.

Thanks again for all your help guys, any tips/links to guides that might help me install the new stator would be appreciated - I'll be buying one soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190423_173233.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	855.8 KB 
ID:	341602

Bike
    Blog Entries
    There you go, that'll do it. As I said Electrix world in UK do good stuff and if you call them they may have distributors in Aus with stock .

Stators fry for several reasons so your job is not finished. Sometimes they are just made small as possible for cost weight and size so have a lifetime. But that makes them more prone to overload faults.

Check the plug on the stator. Any corrosion will cause the stator to work harder. I favour just crimping with bare connectors and heatshrink. Preinsulated terminals are the work of the Devil.

Then check the connector to the Regulator. Should be clean with protective dielectric grease. Also the connection to earth at the battery and at the starter solenoid hidden under the seat left hand side. Just make sure they are all shiny and do them up well.

A tired battery will cause extra strain and low engine oil extra heat. Check no one has put bigger bulbs in the headlights.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I have one of these on my dashboard.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gammatronix...wAAOSwAC1aKEkj

You set it up for a charging system (cut specified wire and connect to powered wire per simple instructions). If will flash then, as you start the bike,- will just glow green. If it starts flashing when riding then you have problems brewing.

Thread Information