Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on purchasing a new bike

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Noble as they may be, does anybody else find modern naked bikes to be all the same
    Noble? They aren't Noble!

Fugly is what they are.

(except perhaps for some of the Triumph range)
    =mjc=

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Try the street. I have multiple years on big bikes but these are great. . . Although at a sport guy I do wonder if I should have bought the Daytona. But we have heaps of outback here. Not a town bike.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by jim.cox View Post
    Noble? They aren't Noble!

Fugly is what they are.

(except perhaps for some of the Triumph range)
    Fugly they are.
    Noble covers all the things that a 1973 Kawasaki triple for example, mainly wasn't.
    Reliable, low maintenance, fuel efficient, safe handling, easy starting, great brakes, low emission, comfortable, good lighting, durable & well. . . just bloody boring.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    80-90 kms commuting daily in Auckland .
    I used to commute daily with some motorway thrown in but been driving an old van for the last few years.
    By the time I put my gear on , take the bike outside I'm already 10 mins down.
    Must be why you see guys weaving in and out to make it up.

Have commuted on scooters, scramblers, classics and sports bikes.
    If I was doing it now I'd pick something with quick steering, good acceleration, light with a loud horn.
    I'd not waste my money buying anything too fancy for commuting, save the money to get a property.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    just pick a bike you know that on your shittest day at work with the shittest weather how happy/comfortable/safe you'll be on the way home --- lane splitting for the first 15-30 mins too so its not like its super fun riding until you get south of bombay --- perhaps a gsx1250 they go pretty cheap and are nice commuters

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...411a980b58-004

or the 600~

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...411a980b58-004

Bike
    motocompo
    In absolute reality, this is probably the best commuter bike for sale on TM currently.
    Good for a lot more than commuting too.
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...f43cb2dfc4-001

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    In absolute reality, this is probably the best commuter bike for sale on TM currently.
    I think the OP might have some concerns about street cred.....even I would not ride that to work and I have a PX 200.
    It might be 100% practical but......
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Sold
    There used to be an older guy who owned one of these and took part in the organised Rusty Nuts 1600km/24 hour and Southern Cross round NZ in 5 days endurance events. Did bloody well on it and always finished in very respectable times. As you say, not only good for commuting but serious rides too.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    I think the OP might have some concerns about street cred.....even I would not ride that to work and I have a PX 200.
    You wake up one day & you find you have stopped caring about what strangers make of you.
    About your age I reckon.
    Seriously though, I have a decent range of bikes I can choose from to ride each day, some would be perceived as cooler than this, but it's T max for the win every time if it's a commute type job.
    But yeah, I followed a mate that was riding it on the weekend, it looked pretty retarded.

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Love my SV650 for the kind of riding you do. I don't do a long daily commute, just once a week up and down to Hamilton, so sometimes I do have to get through Auckland traffic (CBD-Takanini). After Tak it opens right up and is much more enjoyable a ride.

I do love the MT09 I upgraded to, but practically, it doesn't really improve my life over the SV650. It has a bit more get-up-and-go when I want to pass, but I don't get to the other end any faster. It also sucks a lot more fuel (I can do 300kms to a tank on the SV - that's on 12L of fast dinosaurs or about $30-35 fuel per week).

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    You wake up one day & you find you have stopped caring about what strangers make of you.
    About your age I reckon.
    Seriously though, I have a decent range of bikes I can choose from to ride each day, some would be perceived as cooler than this, but it's T max for the win every time if it's a commute type job.
    But yeah, I followed a mate that was riding it on the weekend, it looked pretty retarded.
    I don't know any strangers...

It will make the transition to mobility scooters easier I suppose.

Bike
    2019 Ninja
    80-90 kms commuting daily in Auckland .

Have commuted on scooters, scramblers, classics and sports bikes.
    If I was doing it now I'd pick something with quick steering, good acceleration, light with a loud horn.
    I'd not waste my money buying anything too fancy for commuting, save the money to get a property.
    Yes it does suck but gotta pay the bills (use to live 12mins from work not there fault i moved right). A loud horn is a definite. Already have a house but def can do more renos or more towards the mortgage right.

It is all about the street cred gotta look cool right ot whats the point haha.

The hardest part is my wife is having some say in what I get (ofcourse it is a partnership). Her views are either "I don't care" when its is a sport looking bike like the Ninja Yamahas or Hyosung gts but if it is a naked or cruiser her view is "no not that one its ugly" so I dont care or its ugly haha. Just like the what do you want for dinner debate.

Dammit people! Why can you not be more helpful and be tell me that you can get the best bike in the world for really cheap haha. Why does everyone have to have there own opnion

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Would you be riding the bike or your wife? Buy something that's attractive to you and feels comfortable to ride.

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Honda crx with the wing and shiney lights under the car.

Must have no muffler.

I have to say something to commute on would have to be ugly and boring get a BMW maybe f800? Something designed for high kms

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    Would you be riding the bike or your wife? Buy something that's attractive to you and feels comfortable to ride.
    Applies to both bikes and babes

Thread Information