Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on purchasing a new bike

Bike
    2019 Ninja

Opinions on purchasing a new bike

So I am considering buying a new or second-hand bike My only real experience with the long term running of a bike is the gt250r which has been... an experience (I am much more mechanical now haha).

I know everyone has different opinions so love to hear them to make an informed decision.

I am thinking of moving to an approx 600, maybe larger though do not think I have any need for a 1000 in Auckland.

Just want your views on bikes around the 5k and 10k give or take mark.

It is my daily driver 82kms - 90kms Monday - Friday

My pref is sport bikes.

- Reliability is a big thing for me since owning this Hyosung.
    - Accerlation is next as I do not care about top speed at all (as long as it can go 100ks).
    - Fuel cost is next
    - The noise it makes is also not an issue for me as I now realise that most people think your a tosser for having a loud car / bike haha but if its loud so be it (I'll enjoy it haha)

A lot of people say my bike is uncomfortable but I have found it fine so that is not an issue.

Was looking at second hand Yamaha r6, mt-07, CBR but there are a lot of other options out there of course.

Thanks

Bike
    motocompo
    I'd encourage you to seriously look at Triumph 675 Daytona.
    I absolutely loved riding my wife's one, got real soul & makes a beautiful sound to the rider even with the standard exhaust.
    More torquey than a 600 four & great to look at too.
    At no point will you wish you had a faster bike.
    '08 '09 is a good model/price point.

Bike
    Old Bikes
    You could have a chat to Tui on this board. He's got a Ninja he can't ride at the moment and is looking for a learner bike. You might be able to shift on the Hyosung.

Bike
    Honda vt250 spada
    Sv650 comes to mind.
    Won’t win any beauty contests with it (naked one looks alright) but they seem adequate for most duties, hard to kill, and the parts network is there.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    ninja 400.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Boostinu13 View Post
    So I am considering buying a new or second-hand bike My only real experience with the long term running of a bike is the gt250r which has been... an experience (I am much more mechanical now haha).

I know everyone has different opinions so love to hear them to make an informed decision.

I am thinking of moving to an approx 600, maybe larger though do not think I have any need for a 1000 in Auckland.

Just want your views on bikes around the 5k and 10k give or take mark.

It is my daily driver 82kms - 90kms Monday - Friday

My pref is sport bikes.

- Reliability is a big thing for me since owning this Hyosung.
    - Accerlation is next as I do not care about top speed at all (as long as it can go 100ks).
    - Fuel cost is next
    - The noise it makes is also not an issue for me as I now realise that most people think your a tosser for having a loud car / bike haha but if its loud so be it (I'll enjoy it haha)

A lot of people say my bike is uncomfortable but I have found it fine so that is not an issue.

Was looking at second hand Yamaha r6, mt-07, CBR but there are a lot of other options out there of course.

Thanks
    OK so here's what you need to do.

Buy a Triumph Street Triple R from 2009 through 2011. All the bike you will need on the road. You can do anything on it from trackdays to touring. They are very reliable and mine has only had one recall (reg/rec) - if yours has had that done you will be sweet. They are available in your price range.

Do eeeeeeeet.

If you want a left field choice buy a Buell XB12S
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2009 Husqvarna SM610ie
    My sweet 796 Hypermotard is up for grabs if that tickles your vaginey... https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=2008340089

Bike
    TF125
    Based on your post, I find this quite erogenous...

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...8cc3e614be-001

I'm not saying it's a great deal or anything, I tend to buy bikes just because of that slightly sexual feeling that you can get from a bike. The exception with this is a KLR650 - nothing sexual about it at all but it's still a great bike. Have fun, you're about to embark on a great chapter in motorcycling life.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Hornet 900. Pick them up cheap now and ultra reliable. Fit some low bars for better comfort.

Ideal move up bike to get that big bike feel (mid you pretty much the same size as the Hornet 600) and decent power.

Thrash it for a year or so while you save for that hyper sports bike and if you buy wisely you are likely to get the same money back when you sell.

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    Check out gs 750 at 11k abs brand new it looks great too.
    Much better value than anyting i seen. If power per wieght means alot to you.

Sent from my SOV31 using Tapatalk

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by actungbaby View Post
    Check out gs 750 at 11k abs brand new it looks great too.
    Much better value than anyting i seen. If power per wieght means alot to you.
    I went looking - only found these for $14? unless they are on sale in some shops?

https://www.suzuki.co.nz/Motorcycles...x-s750a/street

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I went looking - only found these for $14? unless they are on sale in some shops?

https://www.suzuki.co.nz/Motorcycles...x-s750a/street
    Noble as they may be, does anybody else find modern naked bikes to be all the same & a complete snore?

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Noble as they may be, does anybody else find modern naked bikes to be all the same & a complete snore?
    You're not alone

Bike
    2019 Ninja
    Some nice bikes listed so will definitly keep these in mind tho alot seem to have quite high ks.

What sort of ks Max should i be looking at on a second hand bike before going no thanks. On a car if go over the 100k mark but I know a bike is no where near as high. Sadly so many variables I guess also as you never know how the old owner treated it

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Boostinu13 View Post
    Some nice bikes listed so will definitly keep these in mind tho alot seem to have quite high ks.

What sort of ks Max should i be looking at on a second hand bike before going no thanks. On a car if go over the 100k mark but I know a bike is no where near as high. Sadly so many variables I guess also as you never know how the old owner treated it
    It's a pretty broad topic, you can get a BMW R1200gs with plenty of useful life left in it that's done over 100,000km, you probably wouldn't want to try that with a Hyosung 250.
    The sweet spot between getting something that's a chunk cheaper than new & still having a decent amount of life in it would be 30 to 40,000km ish.

Thread Information