Thread: regulator rectifier getting warm

Bike
    SV1000s

regulator rectifier getting warm

pretty sure the regulator/rectifier on my SV1000 is cooked.

battery isn't charging and I'm getting 12.2v on idle and 12.5v at 5000rpm (voltages steady).
    also getting some minimal AC voltage across both battery terminals.
    I know there is also an issue with the stators on the K3/4 models of these bikes but I've also done 100,000km so I'm expecting wear and tear on these parts. I can't get in to the regulator/rectifier plugs easily so thought I'd ask here.
    until the parts arrive I've been charging the bike each day.

-is it normal for a regulator/rectifier to warm up when using a trickle charger on the battery?
    It's not getting hot, just fairly warm.

-with those symptoms should I assume the stator is gone too or because the "regulator" part is still working since I'm getting steady voltage and it's not going over voltage.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Stator I'd say. Test AC of each phase, but that means getting to the plug. One will be knackered. Actually check that plug well for burning too. Tags run warm which is why they are finned
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    SV1000s
    Looks like you're right.
    Had enough spare time, took the regulator off and it passed all diode tests.

Stator is producing AC voltage but it's low and inconsistent.
    My guess is when i open the cover possibly a burnt coil but also likely the flywheel magnets have moved so will have to do the regluing and JB weld everyone mentions.
    Crosstalk with the coils would cause that.

Bike
    SV1000s
    Realised i forgot to follow up on this.
    As expected magnets had moved.
    Unfortunately two were smashed.
    Stator was actually fine but was covered in magnet so i replaced the flywheel with one from a wreck and new stator.

The new flywheel i used cold weld between the magnets to act as a spacer should the glue come off those magnets (common problem for the SV.

No issues starting since. I've installed a voltmeter but i have noticed the voltages are lower than expected but it is plumbed in to the park light rather than the battery.
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...55848e4dd2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b74e0055f3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thread Information