Thread: Parking in Wellington

Bike
    None

Parking in Wellington

Hey all,

Got my learners and bought my first bike last week (2019 Ninja 400). I've been in Whangarei for a couple weeks spending time with the family after having just spent several months in Vietnam. Later this week I'll be riding the bike back down to Wellington where I normally live.

Just wondering if any locals who use their bike to commute to work would mind talking about their experience with parking in the CBD? I know that there are multiple free bike parking spots around town.
    Curious as to how difficult it can be to actually get a park in one of these spots before they fill up if you're working 9-5. Is there much in the way of paid alternatives otherwise?

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Bike
    KTM
    It's fucked and the WCC are a bunch of useless cunts about it

Steve Spence - WCC city networks chief transport advisor:

"The position taken both at local and national level has been that motorcycling can't realistically be encouraged as a mode of transport because it is inherently dangerous when compared with, for example, travel by car or public transport."

(even though no other NZ council is under the same impressions, just steve, here in welly)

Spence said the council's focus was on getting the public, motorcyclists included, to consider safer, more environmentally friendly transport options.

"Because of pressure on central city parking, they may want to look also at ride sharing, using public transport or other options which do not require a parking space in the central city."

Sell your bike and catch the bus, didn't you get the memo?

Bike
    None
    Well he sounds like he'd be an absolute hoot at parties...

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    And you can probably guarantee that Spence has a council provided parking space where he parks his council provided vehicle .
    \
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Sounds like him and JAG are fucking each other-What an arse!.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelcpgordon View Post
    Hey all,

Got my learners and bought my first bike last week (2019 Ninja 400). I've been in Whangarei for a couple weeks spending time with the family after having just spent several months in Vietnam. Later this week I'll be riding the bike back down to Wellington where I normally live.

Just wondering if any locals who use their bike to commute to work would mind talking about their experience with parking in the CBD? I know that there are multiple free bike parking spots around town.
    Curious as to how difficult it can be to actually get a park in one of these spots before they fill up if you're working 9-5. Is there much in the way of paid alternatives otherwise?

Cheers

wellington is not a small place, might help if you narrowed down an area, have you looked on the internaughty at google maps and gone through the surrounding streets?

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Yeah but the CBD is quite small.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    If bike parks are full, don't park alongside them outside the designated area - that's the best way to attract tickets.
    The park on Queen's wharf just across Waterloo Quay seems to have space.

Bike
    Suzuki GS1200SS,Moto Guzzi Bellagio 940
    Ditto on the WCC fuckwits comment.... anyhow

Public parking down Featherston st off-shoot roads, on the Terrace and Bond st.. get in quick early or they are gone.

Ye can park in some squeeze places without getting a ticket but yer ride might get bumped whilst a cager attempts to park.

Otherwise ring the various carpark buildings and inquire how much to park (daily or monthly fees). Some have set aside areas for bikes (even the Clifton Tce carpark has these)... no idea of cost tho.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by grbaker View Post
    a cager .
    been watching sons of anarchy have we?

Thread Information