Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motobatt Flateries

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando

Motobatt Flateries

My BMW Motobat died this week, got another as only a mouse click away.
    Today all gear on and Ducati would not start...Motobatt.
    Norton fired right up with its Shorai, good choice too on a nice Autumn day.

Whats the life expectancy on a Motobatt, thinking 3 years is about it.
    I " don't believe the hype" about low discharge etc, but don't really want another slosher or spend $400 plus on a lithium one either.
    Any other Gel Batteries out there for around same $?

The yellow too is a bit much, end up duct taping them up.
    Thats my first world problems for the week.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    My BMW Motobat died this week, got another as only a mouse click away.
    Today all gear on and Ducati would not start...Motobatt.
    Norton fired right up with its Shorai, good choice too on a nice Autumn day.

Whats the life expectancy on a Motobatt, thinking 3 years is about it.
    I " don't believe the hype" about low discharge etc, but don't really want another slosher or spend $400 plus on a lithium one either.
    Any other Gel Batteries out there for around same $?

The yellow too is a bit much, end up duct taping them up.
    Thats my first world problems for the week.
    I've had 5 - 6 years from one on a wee 2t. Same as you, it decided to no startie overnight. Put another one on, reasonably cheap and available off the shelf.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Shorai, still Kicking the Ol Coal Burner (1000cc TR1, 1981 Jam Jar) over every time I hit the starter button, oh, yeah fixed the starter issues too, new 4 brush contactless starter motor and changed over the drive gears while we had it out, works first time evertime, which these days is a start up and ride (about 100K's) every six months or so! ON hold till 2021, then she becomes a cheapie for rego and I'll be aboard her a lot after that I'm sure.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Am running Yuasa's (the old-school acid pack ones with the breather tubes), I've had good service from them in the past. After doing some reading they seem to be the best choice for bikes with crappy old looms and old rec-reg gear.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Had a factory Yuasa on the old 900 Hornet that died a week after the new bike warranty ended - I replaced with a Moto and it was going strong when I sold the bike six years later.

Factory
    Yuasa in the Ducati still working fine after 3.5 years and when I plug the battery tender in it does hardly any charge at all before going into standby mode.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Motobatt on the KLR is lasting (about three years or more) ok despite very infrequent use but I do have it hooked up to an Oxford Oximiser trickle charger whenever its parked in the shed.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2011 BMW F650GS
    My 2 Deauvilles run very expensive sealed Yuasa batteries from new - one did 7 years and the second 9 years. The replacement Motobatt for the first battery is now 8 years old and gets swapped between the two bikes. When not used it gets a monthly top up from a flash Oxford Maximiser charger and I have had no problems. I was quoted over $300 for the Yuasa replacement and the Motobatt was less than $90.

Bike
    2014 BMW G650GS

I have a Power Road on my Beemer, as recommended by Auckland Motorcycle Services and all good. Also had a good run from Deka as recommended by Kane, at R twin Works.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    motobatt are shit, ok the odd one lasts but as my dealer stoped selling them due to to many returns and complants... HEY get what ya pay for... Yuasa may be dear but thats all ill buy
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    So did some research, pricing, delivery etc and ....went for another Motobatt as two clicks and $5 delivered to door, which in Auckland is equal to about 2 hours gone.
    The one in the R80ST turned out to be 4 years old.
    Then the Ducati one went and that was 5 years old.
    So considering I don't have them permanently on trickle but only a Ctec monitor per bike and charge when orange probably not too bad.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Motobatt had a terrible stretch, they've come right again now.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    motobatt are shit, ok the odd one lasts but as my dealer stoped selling them due to to many returns and complants... HEY get what ya pay for... Yuasa may be dear but thats all ill buy
    I had a fairly good run from the Motobatt in my Speed Triple, but I won't buy anything other than Yuasa now. So many have lasted consistently well over the years. I think the stock replacement for mine YTX14-BS is only $139 so hardly dearer than the cheap copies available.
    I spent probably a year with 3 Shorai's and in a permanent lithium headache. Best thing I ever did was give that pile of crap away.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    For the GL1000 I used to buy a new Yuasa lead-acid every 2 years. First 6 months were fine then the following 18months were basically spent with an "almost stuffed" battery, despite regular running and always using a proper maintainer.
    Then I shelled out for a motobatt and experienced the best battery performance I ever had. Stronger starting, basically zero standing discharge, and it lasted 8 years before I replaced it by mistake (turned out the starter solenoid was stuffed )

Funny how people have such different experiences
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I spent probably a year with 3 Shorai's and in a permanent lithium headache. Best thing I ever did was give that pile of crap away.
    Ah that reminded me of the epic battery thread a couple years back

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    I've got a poweroad (sp) lithium battery in the sidecar. Its fucken awesome.

Thread Information