Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T500 suzuki basket case

Bike
    Gl400 honda silverwing

T500 suzuki basket case

Hi team. I'm brand new on forum. Like my older bikes. 80s
    I have a T500 in parts 90% there
    I am undecided what to do with it so thought I would put it out there and Guage any interest

Bike
    Exercycle
    For what ? Selling it ? There's a market. Not worth a lot.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron jeffs View Post
    Hi team. I'm brand new on forum. Like my older bikes. 80s
    I have a T500 in parts 90% there
    I am undecided what to do with it so thought I would put it out there and Guage any interest
    If you put it together it will not cost any money but it will be worth twice as much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    If you put it together it will not cost any money but it will be worth twice as much.
    ooohhhhh yeah nah. Though Suzuki have that vintage parts scheme. but putting something together from a basket will cost a fucking fortune.... and generally its the guy who buys the bike off the restorer then sells it a few years later that makes the coin. Dont ask me how I know but one day I will share the tale of a very nice CB750 I owned. Or my CB400F.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    ooohhhhh yeah nah. Though Suzuki have that vintage parts scheme. but putting something together from a basket will cost a fucking fortune.... and generally its the guy who buys the bike off the restorer then sells it a few years later that makes the coin. Dont ask me how I know but one day I will share the tale of a very nice CB750 I owned. Or my CB400F.
    I think you dont quite understand what putting it together means Henry.
    It will only cost the time it takes to do it and the skin off your knuckles plus some sweat and a lot of frustration. as you can figure out what goes where and how much is really missing.
    No way am i suggesting he restores it, just he cobbles the parts together into a singular collective entity. Irrespective of the condition.
    I think the guy whose going to make the money off the CB750 is the guy that sells you the nice shiney front end with 320mm discs and adjustable forks and 4 pot brembos. You know you want it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front end.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	341778
    Keep the 400F coat it in WD40 liberally and stop buying SR400's when what you need is a RD400.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I want that front end and I don't even have a project bike to put it on.

Post some pics of the box of Suzuki bits, one mans basket case is another mans project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzuki_T500-1.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	341779  

Bike
    motocompo
    I don't doubt your ability to out Google most of us, but that statement suggests you haven't put too much together out of baskets lately.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I don't doubt your ability to out Google most of us, but that statement suggests you haven't put too much together out of baskets lately.
    I have one at the moment
    I are always stupidly buying shit like that.
    Either that or buying stuff and throwing most of it away.
    Maybe you will explain to me how bolting shit together cost money. time yes but money?
    I am not suggesting he restores it in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I want that front end and I don't even have a project bike to put it on.
    Post some pics of the box of Suzuki bits, one mans basket case is another mans project.
    I cant sense the start of a dutch auction

ALL PICTURES SHOWN ARE FOR ILLUSTRATION PURPOSE ONLY.ACTUAL PRODUCT MAY VARY DUE TO PRODUCT ENHANCEMENT

Its MG Californian EV11. they are 45mm ish and adjustable comp and rebound
    the ones i have are rusty stauncions piece of crap. you then need to pay 500 odd for the calipers and discs

There is i think one model of Ducati 900'ss that had Conventional forks to suit the 320mm discs that could work with a Yamaha twin spoked rim.
    the other way of doing it is with a FJ1200 front end of about two years in the early 1990's or a FZR1000 with a yamaha spoked rim (XS650 etc) both are 41mm but to have the brembos you will need the jap spec xjr400 or TRX 100mm brembos

That one in your pic looks like a Kettle or GT550 4ls
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    motocompo
    I have one at the moment
    I are always stupidly buying shit like that.
    Either that or buying stuff and throwing most of it away.
    Maybe you will explain to me how bolting shit together cost money. time yes but money?
    Because when you bolt old shit together that's been apart for ages, parts are fucked & parts are missing.
    Depends on if you want to make it look vaguely like a motorbike or make a safe reliable legal runner.
    Maybe check the basket RC30 I've been toiling on for example.
    One day I may pm you what a perfectly good looking bike cost to put together, & make right & running, but it's far too early for that yet.
    You said it could be done for no money, how about a battery just to start with?

Bike
    husaberg
    Because when you bolt old shit together that's been apart for ages, parts are fucked & parts are missing.
    Depends on if you want to make it look vaguely like a motorbike or make a safe reliable legal runner.
    Maybe check the basket RC30 I've been toiling on for example.
    One day I may pm you what a perfectly good looking bike cost to put together, & make right & running, but it's far too early for that yet.
    You said it could be done for no money, how about a battery just to start with?
    Maybe you would like to point me to were i said to do anything other than loosely assemble the bits Now you are suggesting i said to to make it run?
    Now as well as that it has to be safe why not a WOF as well. Shit why not say i said he could fully resotore it give it a rego and insure it and ride it around NZ with a personalized plate.

I fully realise bits will be missing he suggested so himself 90% that why it will be worth more if its together so you can see whats missing.
    Thats why I never suggested he restore it. He has also never suggested the engines apart.
    Even if its not I would hazard a guess the crank will be toast as will the seals as will the bores and endless other stuff
    that easily adds to 2K plus on a 2T twin.
    All the tinware will be f-ed as will the wheels and spokes the front hub will be cracked the gearbox could be buggered they did that 5th gear.
    the Airbox is likely gone and even if it isnt all the rubber will be toast.
    the pipes will be rotted assuming if they are original which they are likely not and no plater in their right mind would touch one with a polishing buff. let along gunk up his bath with one.

RE the RC I have an hunch what its is going to cost and think a brand new one never run one might have been cheaper, John Boote had one. not sure where it went after the quake.
    These are the risks you take. You knew that going in.
    ps i have never found stuff in baskets they are normally cardboard boxes and fish crates sometimes milk crates.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    motocompo
    Maybe you would like to point me to were i said to do anything other than loosely assemble the bits Now you are suggesting i said to to make it run?
    Now as well as that it has to be safe why not a WOF as well.
    I fully realise bits will be missing he suggested so himself 90% that why it will be worth more if its together so you can see whats missing.
    Thats why I never suggested he restore it. He has also never suggested the engines apart.
    Even if its not I would hazard a guess the crank will be toast as will the seals as will the bores and endless other stuff
    that easily adds to 2K plus on a 2T twin.
    All the tinware will be f-ed as will the wheels and spokes the front hub will be cracked the gearbox could be buggered they did that 5th gear.
    the Airbox is likely gone and even if it isnt all the rubber will be toast.
    the pipes will be rotted out even if they are original and no plater in their right mind would touch one with a polishing buff.

RE the RC I have an hunch what its is going to cost and think a brand new one never run one might have been cheaper, John Boote had one. not sure where it went after the quake.
    These are the risks you take. You knew that going in.
    I'm not sure what the point of the excercise would be either way.
    Waste a pile of time bolting something together so another person can take it apart again . . Oh. . Hang on, you're a Labour voter. Now it all makes sense.
    I'm not too bothered about the RC, it's a lovely way to spend my weekdays.

Bike
    husaberg
    I'm not sure what the point of the excercise would be either way.
    Waste a pile of time bolting something together so another person can take it apart again . . Oh. . Hang on, you're a Labour voter. Now it all makes sense.
    I'm not too bothered about the RC, it's a lovely way to spend my weekdays.
    The dude you voted for only gets 4% of the vote for prefered PM.
    Mashman nearly got that in the Last election in the Mana electorate.

Bob you are not wanting to read what i say. A bike in bits scattered in boxes is worth less that a bolted together thing that looks like a bike with missing bits.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I think you dont quite understand what putting it together means Henry.
    It will only cost the time it takes to do it and the skin off your knuckles plus some sweat and a lot of frustration. as you can figure out what goes where and how much is really missing.
    No way am i suggesting he restores it, just he cobbles the parts together into a singular collective entity. Irrespective of the condition.
    I think the guy whose going to make the money off the CB750 is the guy that sells you the nice shiney front end with 320mm discs and adjustable forks and 4 pot brembos. You know you want it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front end.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	341778
    Keep the 400F coat it in WD40 liberally and stop buying SR400's when what you need is a RD400.

I do want it. Really.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    That 400 and the nice 750 are the only two of my bikes I regret selling. I can even see myself selling my current CB750 at some point possibly ...

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post

I do want it. Really.
    Personally i would try and find a complete front end of EV11 Try Simon Gooding see what he has.
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...2052734327.htm
    I would be happy to sell you the forks for what they owe me but its just not the best way of doing it, as the new staunctions will not be cheap. i would guess 400 plus maybe more , i already had a spoked front wheel and one of the calipers kickeing arround and thought it would be a laugh. and use up some bits.
    But then you have new bearings the stem to adapt as well hub to be respoked etc etc etc.
    Its only worth the bother for something to keep.
    starting from scratch $250 on TM for calipers $250 for Discs , just buying the bits you would hit $1200 without blinking.
    But if you can find one getting parted out i bet you could get it far cheaper.
    I reminder distinctly .

Thread Information