Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kickstart Roadside 2019 - Canterbury MC Events

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Kickstart Roadside 2019 - Canterbury MC Events

Well, Kickstart has evolved again. It was at Ruapuna last year, but this year we are devolving it to the districts.

This year we are going to run coffee stops with free stuff for motorcyclists. Who doesn't like free stuff?

On 6 October, the one I am organizing is going to be at Tai Tapu, on SH75, adjacent to The Store. Anyone who stops to chat will be given a coffee voucher to redeem at The Store.

https://www.thestoretaitapu.com/

I'm still sorting out what other give-aways we will have, but hey, free stuff is free stuff.

Hoping for good weather.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    What is Kickstart?, I assume its not a good old fashioned boot up the arse the local cop used to hand out when you were a dickhead
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by buggerit View Post
    What is Kickstart?, I assume its not a good old fashioned boot up the arse the local cop used to hand out when you were a dickhead
    I'll build that into the programme just for you. I'll wear my size 11s.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by buggerit View Post
    Steve,

There was one near you just south of Tuakau a couple of years ago that a mate and I stopped at. Great talking to the South Auckland police and support staff from the Waikato District Council. Came away with a nice bag of goodies too.

As a KTM owner, I'd have thought you'd be used to having your arse kicked by the law. You must be showing some restraint these days c

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Bike
    S1000RR
    Hey Pete, keep me posted. Be interested to know.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Hey Pete, keep me posted. Be interested to know.
    Hi EJ.

Bring your camera.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Generally, free stuff is good stuff.
    like the $2 tyre pressure guages the Rideforever Crew give out at the shiny side up days, really wonder about the quality of those.....

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    like the $2 tyre pressure guages the Rideforever Crew give out at the shiny side up days, really wonder about the quality of those.....
    Those are better than the standard method, pushing your thumb into the tread and saying "Yeah, feels about right"

Bike
    suzuki
    Those are better than the standard method, pushing your thumb into the tread and saying "Yeah, feels about right"
    really, you're endorsing that? i have suggested they get a tyre guage testing unit at their shiny side up days, encouraging riders to bring there's along but they didn't see it as a positve worthwhile thing.

Bike
    my little pony
    What is really important, is what a tyre pressure should be, rather than the number on the digital gauge, which people blindly follow, because, thats what my mate says, he gotta be right.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    really, you're endorsing that? i have suggested they get a tyre guage testing unit at their shiny side up days, encouraging riders to bring there's along but they didn't see it as a positve worthwhile thing.
    I hear you. It's hard to find a truly precise pressure gauge. Potentially unnecessary too, as it's going to be better than the thumb method as long as it is within a couple of PSI of correct.

Most people use their gas station gauges, if at all. Which is nuts, as there are some good ones on Torpedo 7 made for mountain bikes, that work perfectly well. I generally advise if you are going to do that, at least keep using the same one. It might not be right, but at least it'll be consistently wrong.

My experience is that half the people who say their tyre pressures are right can't actually tell you what "right" is. Most don't know about that sticker down on the chain guard or swing arm. Most don't know the deflection rate of their sidewalls changes with different pressures, and that's why it's so important.

Bike
    suzuki
    I hear you. It's hard to find a truly precise pressure gauge. Potentially unnecessary too, as it's going to be better than the thumb method as long as it is within a couple of PSI of correct.

Most people use their gas station gauges, if at all. Which is nuts, as there are some good ones on Torpedo 7 made for mountain bikes, that work perfectly well. I generally advise if you are going to do that, at least keep using the same one. It might not be right, but at least it'll be consistently wrong.

My experience is that half the people who say their tyre pressures are right can't actually tell you what "right" is. Most don't know about that sticker down on the chain guard or swing arm. Most don't know the deflection rate of their sidewalls changes with different pressures, and that's why it's so important.
    i had a battle with tonys tryes once, and ended up with a visit from their tech guy. good honest guy who told me when they checked all their guages there was as much as ten psi difference between them, so that's probably 5 each way from accurate. i know most bike tyres take more pressure so so variances will be a smaller percentage but imagine yur car tyre with say 20% more or lass in it. aside from safety wear and tear is increased.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Ahh, I'd often thought about taking my gauge into the tyre shop to compare it against one of their presumably calibrated gauges. Maybe that was fantisiful.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Ahh, I'd often thought about taking my gauge into the tyre shop to compare it against one of their presumably calibrated gauges. Maybe that was fantisiful.
    You're fantisizing

Thread Information