Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Jay Lawrence TT 2019

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I've often thought that would be the one day a year when you would stay off your bike and in the boozer because there would be a lot of amped up McGuinness wannabes out on the road that day......
    about 2-5 in the arvo is refferred to as lager louts time....

Bike
    motocompo
    Pretty piss poor that the NZ news media can't report on a kiwi rider competing at TT that's doing ok, but are all over it when a English guy has a nasty accident.
    My suggestion to anyone with an opinion about the place is to go there & have a proper look for yourself & make an informed decision based on personal expierence, rather than regurgitating what you think you know.
    Several years ago I had an opinion about the place that turned out to be wildly off the mark.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Motorcycle racer Daley Mathison becomes 259th killed on world's deadliest race course

Daley Mathison was killed Monday when he crashed his motorcycle at an estimated 130 mph during the Isle of Man TT races, becoming the 259th contestant killed on the Irish Sea island?s 38-mile-long Snaefell Mountain Course. He was 27....
    And the only time motorcycle racing ever gets any coverage om ONE sport
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1

Jay Lawrence TT 2019

Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Pretty piss poor that the NZ news media can't report on a kiwi rider competing at TT that's doing ok, but are all over it when a English guy has a nasty accident.
    My suggestion to anyone with an opinion about the place is to go there & have a proper look for yourself & make an informed decision based on personal expierence, rather than regurgitating what you think you know.
    Several years ago I had an opinion about the place that turned out to be wildly off the mark.
    I don?t have an opinion on the TT. All I know is that riders die there most years.

I still watch it though.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I just put down my sandwich and googled that. The number of ppl killed attempting to summit Everest is north of 300 according to Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Mount_Everest

and 259 at the TT.

Not sure how you would compare the two - perhaps deaths per kilometre travelled vs deaths per metre ascended? (though life becomes significantly more dangerous above 8000m)

The TT has been going a LOT longer than people have been climbing Everest though so deaths/yr?

Not sure that they really are comparable in any fair way.

RIP Daley
    The deaths on Everest are from 1922, so 15 years less than the TT.

No, not sure why you?d compare them. I can understand why you?d ride the TT but no idea why you?d want to walk up Everest.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I don?t have an opinion on the TT. All I know is that riders die there most years.

I still watch it though.
    And not one of those riders was forced, or felt an obligation to compete. All were there of their own free will.
    Im not being a twat about it, its just a fact. Most of the competitors live from one TT to the next like a junkie going for their next fix.
    A significant competitor at the TT remarked to me recently, if I die racing, don't feel sorry for me, ive lived more in the last ten years than nearly every person that dies at 90 in a nursing home.
    As far as the public harming themselves on the road during TT week, If you have any sort of sense of self preservation, you would avoid the mountain section by any means of transport during that time.
    I discovered a back road from Sulby to Brandywell & spent many a fun hour going up the narrow mountain road in a tiny Daihatsu 4wd to watch the shenanigans from a safe distance, returning the same way.

Bike
    suzuki
    headlines are click bait, if it bleeds it leads basically....

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    unfortunately , if it bleeds, it leads,

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post
    unfortunately , if it bleeds, it leads,
    I also concur!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Tuono 660, Suzuki SV650 racebike
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadpole View Post
    I noted that TV news did a bit on the TT death. The only time the IOM TT will ever mentioned of course...
    Yes this pissed me off too. Never mentioned who actually won the race.

My suggestion to anyone with an opinion about the place is to go there & have a proper look for yourself & make an informed decision based on personal experience, rather than regurgitating what you think you know.
    +1 I've only been once but it was a fantastic experience and it now helps me sort the wheat from the chaff when people comment on the event. And there's a lot of chaff out there.

Bike
    motocompo
    Got the superstock race out of the way today.
    Finished 17th & did a 125.03.
    125 was the unspoken goal, so fairly happy with the result.
    Still have the superbike & senior to go if the weather holds, which only a brave man would bet on with the way its been.

Bike
    moped
    Well done to Jay and the Team, thats a fantastic effort for the amount of laps he has done, and the frustration of the conditions you are dealing with at the moment. Best of luck with the next few days. hoping fingers crossed.

Bike
    suzuki
    i wonder why they had to do their pit stop at lap one, usually it's been the riders choice and has played a big part in race tactics, maybe safety as they've had less practice, then everyones roughly at the same pace?

Bike
    moped
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    i wonder why they had to do their pit stop at lap one, usually it's been the riders choice and has played a big part in race tactics, maybe safety as they've had less practice, then everyones roughly at the same pace?
    I think because they have lost so much time due to weather over the last two weeks, they made a big push yesterday to get the show moving, reducing the number of laps for all classes, and got more into yesterday than they have ever done before, well done to the organisers who have had some headaches this year thats for sure.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    The race was reduced to three laps, in the usual 4 lap per the only time they could pit was end of second lap. I suspect it was done so nobody was pulling out in front of someone on a flyer.

Thread Information