Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Jay Lawrence TT 2019

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    The race was reduced to three laps, in the usual 4 lap per the only time they could pit was end of second lap. I suspect it was done so nobody was pulling out in front of someone on a flyer.
    most of the normal three lappers have a stop, of course if you stop on lap one then you're possibly weaving through slower riders who haven't stopped so given that they were doing five races in a day, the first time in history, they probably opted to keep it flowing that bit safer.
    joey dunlop famously won one of his twenty six races by opting to pit a lap later as he had an inkling that the weather was turning to custard and when the race was redflagged he had an advantage that wouls have been lost in the pits. If they've done this once and it is a safer way maybe that's the future...., good luck today team

Bike
    motocompo
    Michael Dunlop won the lightweight yesterday.
    The 50th TT win for the Dunlop family.
    Prepping for the Senior now.
    Due out in around 20 minutes.

Bike
    suzuki
    The 50th TT win for the Dunlop family.
    wow, that's something i never heard

Bike
    suzuki
    so Peter hickman wanted to use his hybrid superstock bike he won the first race on but it appears it was pulled right to bits to check its legality, which is normal procedure, and they didn't have enough time to get it together again in time.
    question is why couldn't he request an engine seal and have it checked after the senior TT???? it's been done here before
    just curious

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    so Peter hickman wanted to use his hybrid superstock bike he won the first race on but it appears it was pulled right to bits to check its legality, which is normal procedure, and they didn't have enough time to get it together again in time.
    question is why couldn't he request an engine seal and have it checked after the senior TT???? it's been done here before
    just curious
    Even more bizarre as the engines come from BMW ready to race, so they are used for the specified distance and sent back.

Sounds like another team had a whinge.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Even more bizarre as the engines come from BMW ready to race, so they are used for the specified distance and sent back.

Sounds like another team had a whinge.
    i've no problem with tech checks, they're needed and we should have more here, but if it means they can't put it back together in time then the option of a seal should be there, then if it's stripped after it;s not needed and found non compliant they lose points. i was at the tt and we had ten stock bikes, we had an acu rep there 100% of the time the workshop was open to supervise,

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    i've no problem with tech checks, they're needed and we should have more here, but if it means they can't put it back together in time then the option of a seal should be there, then if it's stripped after it;s not needed and found non compliant they lose points. i was at the tt and we had ten stock bikes, we had an acu rep there 100% of the time the workshop was open to supervise,
    Exactly, and the team probably didn't even have parts and tools to reassemble the engine.

There was something similar a few years ago with one of Hutchy's bikes. As you say, they should leave the engines until afterwards. Can you imagine this happening at a MotoGP on a Friday?

Bike
    Exercycle
    Exactly, and the team probably didn't even have parts and tools to reassemble the engine.

There was something similar a few years ago with one of Hutchy's bikes. As you say, they should leave the engines until afterwards. Can you imagine this happening at a MotoGP on a Friday?
    The TT is not a MotoGP. It's over a much longer period and usually there is time to do these things. This year is an exception. As far as leaving the engines till afterwards - not really practical, there are post TT meetings to get to urgently.

If the Supp regs say the engine must be stripped, the teams know what they have to do. And would usually have the time to do it.
    That said, I'm a little surprised they didn't simply slide in a fresh engine. Even given the NW200 usage, they didn't get enough practise to wear out all their stock, surely ?

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    The TT is not a MotoGP. It's over a much longer period and usually there is time to do these things. This year is an exception. As far as leaving the engines till afterwards - not really practical, there are post TT meetings to get to urgently.

If the Supp regs say the engine must be stripped, the teams know what they have to do. And would usually have the time to do it.
    That said, I'm a little surprised they didn't simply slide in a fresh engine. Even given the NW200 usage, they didn't get enough practise to wear out all their stock, surely ?
    Yes, but I expect they'd have to use the same engine as had been checked, otherwise it would open the door to cheating.

As I said, the issue is that no one works on BMW engines - they are prepped at the factory. Hickman's team probably don't even have the gaskets to put it back together.

Bike
    motocompo
    Yes, but I expect they'd have to use the same engine as had been checked, otherwise it would open the door to cheating.

As I said, the issue is that no one works on BMW engines - they are prepped at the factory. Hickman's team probably don't even have the gaskets to put it back together.
    You are pretty well spot on.
    In Hickys case, the engines come from BMW brand new & complete & do around 4000 race km, then go back to BMW For evaluation.
    They can get different versions or spec of engines from BMW.
    I suspect that BMW would take a dim view of people outside the factory stripping them down & putting them back together willy nilly during their life cycle.

Bike
    motocompo
    Got the six lap senior over the line without incident, won by Dean Harrison on the Silicone Engineering Kawasaki.
    The magic 125mph didn't quite pop up again.
    Jay came home & had a sleep & when he woke up last evening his first words were " I can't race again today" of course there were no more races, just a fantastic Carl Cox party to attend at the grandstand. The man's beats really are Quite awesome & the reason for his massive popularity is clear once you hear his music live.
    The last set he played, paid tribute to Keith Flint, Prodigy front man, friend of Carl's & owner of team Traction Control, that competed at the TT, who passed away in March.
    The Hawk Buildbase team, Steve Hicken & Juan (son of sidecar ace Ben Birchall) are great guys to have on side. Humble, hard working perfectionists, that always had the bike prepared spot on. Steve Hicken's suspension Knowledge is in a class of its own & legendary throughout the paddock not that he would ever tell you himself, it was Michael Dunlop that told me that. He was able to deliver a perfect set up based on rider feedback & telemetry.
    All we have left to do now is return by ferry to Heysham, drive over to Peter Hickman's place to stay a night, then drive the motorhome/transporter to the storage building four hours away, spend a couple of nights in London having a poke around while my wife attends the Spice Girls concert at Wembly with her friend from Holland.
    I don't really want to think about the bit after that, which involves two full days in transit returning to NZ.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I've just watched the Senior. So all that BS may have cost Hicky the race, but who knows. Not the drama of last year but no one died.

And MD did an interview!

Bike
    motocompo
    I've just watched the Senior. So all that BS may have cost Hicky the race, but who knows. Not the drama of last year but no one died.

And MD did an interview!
    Yeah mate, Daley Matheison died in first practice.
    They were right next to us & continued to soldier on running Davey Todd's bike.
    You wouldnt have even known it had happened but for the growing pile of flowers & cards on their outside table.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Yeah mate, Daley Matheison died in first practice.
    They were right next to us & continued to soldier on running Davey Todd's bike.
    You wouldnt have even known it had happened but for the growing pile of flowers & cards on their outside table.
    Sorry, I meant during the Senior race. I am very aware that Daley Mathison died, but I thought it was in the Superbike race?

Bike
    motocompo
    Visiting the Hickman race shop watching the masters at work prepping the new BMW for BSB this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190611_143530.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	763.4 KB 
ID:	342106  

Thread Information