Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does a bike need a sidestand for a WOF?

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    a failed roadside breath test. Simply because it attracted the attention of a patrolling plod looking for business.
    you must be a millenial, it's always someone elses fault, not the fault of the person who drunk too much piss!

Bike
    suzuki

As for the original "Does a sidestand need to be fitted for a WOF" ... short answer NO. But ... some (most) may simply refuse to do the check due to the impractically of doing the check with no sidestand fitted (as is their right).
    if they lack the skills to place a bike on it's centrestand then maybe they lack the skills to test the bike one would think?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    This is the bit many don't get ... a blown indicator bulb or brake light on one side would mean a WOF fail.

Thus not up to WOF standard.

Thus liable to be stopped any time of the day or night

A blown bulb at the back of a vehicle often has resulted in a failed roadside breath test (and/or unsafe vehicle). Simply because it attracted the attention of a patrolling plod looking for business.
    A week or so back a neighbour pointed out that a brake light on my car wasn't working. My reply referenced the drink drive thing but that's historic. Originally to be breath tested you had to have indicated your driving was impaired. Thus a non-functioning tail light was evidence you had been drinking. After a while police legal advice suggested they didn't need to bother with such formalities and so we had random testing.

The drink driving thing is also historic because I long since ceased to do that beyond a one drink limit.

Times have also changed in respect of replacing a blown bulb. Used to be that you'd get one from the local gas station. Not now.
    They had no bulbs, no wiper blades or any of the other stuff that you might associate with cars. Pies, coffee, magazines, sunglasses and all maner of drinks but sfa to do with cars.

/rant
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Times have also changed in respect of replacing a blown bulb. Used to be that you'd get one from the local gas station. Not now.
    They had no bulbs, no wiper blades or any of the other stuff that you might associate with cars. Pies, coffee, magazines, sunglasses and all maner of drinks but sfa to do with cars.

/rant
    At the usual "Service" station ... profit margin rules. More % profit in a few bags of sweets and a (small) bottle of fizz than a tank of fuel.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    if they lack the skills to place a bike on it's centrestand then maybe they lack the skills to test the bike one would think?
    How they run (or ruin) their business ... is their business.

But a WOF is usually a one man job. To make it a two man job will make it less profitable for the business.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    you must be a millenial, it's always someone elses fault, not the fault of the person who drunk too much piss!
    Someone ELSE'S fault .. ??? explain how I said fault could be placed anywhere other than the driver .. ??

But ... Is it the FAULT of the driver ... or a RESPONSIBILITY of the driver to know both issues ... ??

Who else can they blame but themselves .. ??? The usual .. "I didn't know.. " wont suffice.

My point is ... a simple fix can save a shitload of issues later. If plod doesn't see any indicator lights ... a "failing to indicate" and Vehicle not up to WOF standard" ticket might be awarded. Plus of course any other issues they might find.

"Random" stopping was the catchword ... but a dud bulb is serious bait for the enforcers come evening time ...

Bike
    Ones that do skids
    Thanks for the replies everybody, it's a dual sport so no centrestand, usually I just lean it against a tree or throw it on the ground or whatever.

Bike
    suzuki
    How they run (or ruin) their business ... is their business.

But a WOF is usually a one man job. To make it a two man job will make it less profitable for the business.
    if one man is smart enough to run a business then he's smart enough to ask the owner for assistance to hold it then

Bike
    suzuki

A blown bulb at the back of a vehicle often has resulted in a failed roadside breath test (and/or unsafe vehicle charge). Simply because it attracted the attention of a patrolling plod looking for business.
    Someone ELSE'S fault .. ??? explain how I said fault could be placed anywhere other than the driver .. ??

the blown bulb did not result in a failed breath test, drinking alcohol did, but the way it's written is that it seems ok to drink piss and drive but make sure your bulb's are working, that's all.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    the blown bulb did not result in a failed breath test, drinking alcohol did, but the way it's written is that it seems ok to drink piss and drive but make sure your bulb's are working, that's all.
    As a result of having blown tail light bulb, Police conducted a 'Random" stop on those vehicles. The drivers were found to have been drinking. The breath tests were failed.

All because one tail light was not working. End results were ... drivers lost their license. A blown bulb is bait for plod.

Nowhere did I suggest/imply/state it was ok to drink piss. How you interpret things is entirely your business. Were you one of those stopped ??? Hope so ....

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    if one man is smart enough to run a business then he's smart enough to ask the owner for assistance to hold it then
    Not necessarily ... plenty of dumb-asses running businesses.

Said business owner has his policy. That ... is literally HIS business ... if you don't like it ... comply or get YOUR WOF somewhere else.

Bike
    suzuki
    As a result of having blown tail light bulb, Police conducted a 'Random" stop on those vehicles. The drivers were found to have been drinking. The breath tests were failed.

All because one tail light was not working. End results were ... drivers lost their license. A blown bulb is bait for plod.

Nowhere did I suggest/imply/state it was ok to drink piss. How you interpret things is entirely your business. Were you one of those stopped ??? Hope so ....
    learn engish,

"A blown bulb at the back of a vehicle often has resulted in a failed roadside breath test" it's pretty clear here that you said it was due to a blown bulb that the breath test had failed.

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by McWild View Post
    Thanks for the replies everybody, it's a dual sport so no centrestand, usually I just lean it against a tree or throw it on the ground or whatever.
    I was gonna ask why not fix it? But then I did see this reply of yours and realised that you have no pride in the bike you ride. Sadly. Probably a result of the "throw away" society we now live in.

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)

Update on this?

Is there an update on this?

I really hope the bike has a side stand and a centre stand, how you could ever park it without either (and still get insurance) is a puzzler. The side stand is often connected to a cutoff as well, a bad kickstand could accidentally trigger this, or fall off, so it may need to be moved. But then all this begs the question... if the kickstand is that bad, how bad is the rest of the bike???

Bike
    Ones that do skids
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquiztador View Post
    I was gonna ask why not fix it? But then I did see this reply of yours and realised that you have no pride in the bike you ride. Sadly. Probably a result of the "throw away" society we now live in.
    Haha get fucked! Believe me the metal loop through which the sidestand sits and been welded and re-welded ad infinitum but it's a goner. The original is certifiably unfixable. Not that I need to justify it to you because....

Who the fuck thinks a dirtbike needs a sidestand to "have pride in it"? Mate get off your high horse.

Although hey actually I take a whole bunch of pride in my DT200. I'm proud of the fact I left it outside all winter through metres of snow, with no cover on even, and it fired up on the third kick. Shit I'm more proud of that than I would be a Barbie-girl painted fucked up "chopper"!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoonicorn View Post
    Is there an update on this?

I really hope the bike has a side stand and a centre stand, how you could ever park it without either (and still get insurance) is a puzzler. The side stand is often connected to a cutoff as well, a bad kickstand could accidentally trigger this, or fall off, so it may need to be moved. But then all this begs the question... if the kickstand is that bad, how bad is the rest of the bike???
    Yeah my insurance company* would be really concerned about me parking it against a tree. Bet they'll go nuts when the tree falls over and hits a porsche ay!

And if the ktm came with a side stand cutoff switch I'd rather it spark the gas from the overflow and just set fire to itself cause it wouldn't be worthy for the world it lives in.

*if it existed

Thread Information