Thread: Passing on the yellow line - a Habit for some

Bike
    Several old ones

Passing on the yellow line - a Habit for some

A bunch of " motorcycles " and their riders, riding towards me on the centreline overtaking trucks on a sweeping blind corner, admittedly they were not over the yellow lines but certainly they were on the yellow line squeezing between the trucks and myself and other cars, Myself in my car got a fright and swerved to avoid any contact with the bikes. I imagine their speed to be well in excess of 100km/hr as traffic was travelling both ways at open road speeds.

I guess this would be termed dangerous riding by some, normal by other, and we have all seen this sort of riding

This got me thinking, hence the post, if these riders think this is normal, what would happen if a bunch of riders were employing the same "normal " riding tactics going the other way.

There was absolutely no way two bikes could have passed each other on that yellow line gap.

Enough said.... Is this one of the reasons we pay so much for ACC levies as a motorcyclist?

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post
    A bunch of " motorcycles " and their riders, riding towards me on the centreline overtaking trucks on a sweeping blind corner, admittedly they were not over the yellow lines but certainly they were on the yellow line squeezing between the trucks and myself and other cars, Myself in my car got a fright and swerved to avoid any contact with the bikes. I imagine their speed to be well in excess of 100km/hr as traffic was travelling both ways at open road speeds.

I guess this would be termed dangerous riding by some, normal by other, and we have all seen this sort of riding

This got me thinking, hence the post, if these riders think this is normal, what would happen if a bunch of riders were employing the same "normal " riding tactics going the other way.

There was absolutely no way two bikes could have passed each other on that yellow line gap.

Enough said.... Is this one of the reasons we pay so much for ACC levies as a motorcyclist?
    Yep!
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like a bunch of knobs in a hurry to nowhere.

Three motorcyclists killed this long weekend.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    although it is quite possible i have never suscribed to the "tear up dotted" line method of overtaking and never against oncoming traffic.I overtake like i would in a car,only when there is a gap and proper visibilty.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post

Exactly. Overtaking is dangerous enough without making it a game of chance.

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    It's a National sport here in the Philippines.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    It's a national sport here in the Philippines.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    All this apparent danger, and the finger-wagging on your part, and yet no one was hurt? Hmm, maybe just mind your own business?

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Yep - It's true that as a group of road users we motorcyclists often don't do ourselves any favours. We've all bee in situations, especially when younger and/or riding in a group, where we do something that makes us think afterwards 'That wasn't a great idea. What if...'

Most bikes have enough acceleration that we can get by other vehicles without having to do this sort of thing but I'd be lying if I said that I've never done a daft overtake or two myself.

Bike
    XR650R
    mmm.... yes guilty here , I've had a few experiences of near death while doing this, once on the desert rd, on a long straight, truck ahead, pulled to centerline @ 200kph
    saw another truck coming towards me , stuck to the centerline, hit the bow-wave of oncoming truck just as I went past drivers door, got pushed sideways as I past truck on my side, and instantly slowed 40kph, so close to becoming a human ricochet, it was only because I didn't slow down that saved my bacon.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporary-Kiwi View Post
    mmm.... yes guilty here , I've had a few experiences of near death while doing this, once on the desert rd, on a long straight, truck ahead, pulled to centerline @ 200kph
    saw another truck coming towards me , stuck to the centerline, hit the bow-wave of oncoming truck just as I went past drivers door, got pushed sideways as I past truck on my side, and instantly slowed 40kph, so close to becoming a human ricochet, it was only because I didn't slow down that saved my bacon.
    No wondering why you gave yourself the name Temporary Kiwi ?? 200 km/hr next to the centerline with a truck approaching you. (what could possibly go wrong ??)

Whatever you ride or drive ... stay away from the centerline unless YOU are overtaking. Judging by the first post ... you scare easily. There are drugs that fix that ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    All this apparent danger, and the finger-wagging on your part, and yet no one was hurt? Hmm, maybe just mind your own business?
    What a stupid comment. So using your logic you see somebody doing something not right you ignore it!

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    Exactly, damn fun police.

Thread Information