Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lowering speed limits to 80 (from 100) and 30/40 (from 50)... A research paper.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    While I understand the value in skid pan training, in reality, what people need to learn is how to apply a decent following distance, how to indicate when they are supposed to, how not to use their phone while driving,. how top merge properly, how to head check when changing lanes..
    You mean the commonsense stuff that apparently we all know.....
    Lets go Brandon

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    I now just ride a 250 trailie?
    80kmph is a nice easy speed for it...

So I really don't care that much..

Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    You mean the commonsense stuff that apparently we all know.....
    Knowing something and doing it are two different things.

Virtually everyone who goes through a red light knows it's wrong. But they do it anyway.

Bike
    XR650R
    I agree the driving standards are pretty poor, I see it every day while driving a truck/trailer, one thing that shows up the lack of roadcraft is how people don't look ahead, in a truck you can often see things happening before others.
    I wait for the cars in front to react......, the average drivers anticipation seems to be six foot in front off their bumper
    another thing that seems to becoming popular is stopping on a main highway to turn right, while they wait for oncoming car to go past, they just don't seem to have any self preservation.
    I was taught to pull off the road and wait till all clear,
    so yes I think driving instruction is needed, and as previously mentioned needs to be mandated to get people to actually do it

Bike
    suzuki
    All the basic stuff. Nobody is going to pay $300 to learn basic stuff, but it's the basics done well that make for a good road user.
    most people have a tv so why isn't there anything on there? all they do is call you a murderer for going 2km's over the limit

seems to me a very good medium to get some basic defensive driving tactics across, and tips for example why is your indicator flashing twice as fast as normal? it's a safety device to let you know one indictor is out, and you may be turning in front of a car thinking they know you're turning.
    why not an advert on that subject?
    instead they treat us like criminals

Bike
    It was on the good
    NZTA don't like my road safety suggestion as they tell me they don't like to change behaviour through fear but.......

I reckon once they have removed the patients/bodies from any rural crash they leave the car where it is upside down in a paddock or wrapped around a tree. If the car comes to rest on the road just push it on to the shoulder and leave it there.

We see all this crap about the road toll but unless you see it with your own eyes it is meaningless. Leave the cars where they are, make people think about what happened and the impact it had on everyone involved.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Knowing something and doing it are two different things.

Virtually everyone who goes through a red light knows it's wrong. But they do it anyway.
    I ran a redlight last night in error in the car. My error completely, post work drive home, not paying attention, something went green, I nailed it and halfway through the intersection gaining speed I realise it was a turn arrow green.

He sits and waits to see if a camera ticket arrives ........

Shit happens.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporary-Kiwi View Post
    ... I was taught to pull off the road and wait till all clear,

so yes I think driving instruction is needed, and as previously mentioned needs to be mandated to get people to actually do it
    Mandated or not ... if people can't manage to adhere to the simplest of the road rules (like stopping at stop signs, and giving way to other traffic when required) people will continue to die in ever increasing numbers.

Actions on the road that are based on personal convenience, combined with poor decision making ... is a recipe for pain and/or death. An accident I witnessed after a dude didn't give way at a very busy intersection, controlled by a give way sign, "I was late for work and was in a hurry. BUT ... THEY must have been speeding. There was plenty of time for THEM to slow down".

Simple fact is ... no matter the amount (or quality) of the instruction given ... gets overridden by choices that ... although they know aren't right ... they have it done many times before with no issues. So why not now ....
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    As a 16- 17 yr old any wet day in the Hutt Valley, all roads were a skid pan !!! Thats how we grew up !
    Yep Wainuiomta Hill was a great training course

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post

Shit happens.
    Cold comfort for the poor cunt you might have flattened had it gone a little differently.
    Lets go Brandon

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Google suggests that driver distraction is #1 with speed, driver impairment, rain, recklessness etc following on.

Speed is easy to measure and invoice, which I found out recently riding back from Whangarei a couple of weeks back, wet day on the bike.

I was actually the slowest vehicle on the road for the journey and was passed by quite a few of those fancy go anywhere lifestyle utes.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    I wouldn't panic too much yet ! you really think this Genter bitch will get this thru ?

I don't take too much interest in the news they feed us.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    Cold comfort for the poor cunt you might have flattened had it gone a little differently.
    400 odd a year die on the roads probably 40,000 have near misses blissfully unaware of it.

No amount of experience, training or education will prevent the occasional brain fart when you place a human behind a mobile device, be it a scooter, bicycle, motorcycle, car, truck, plane .....

America is run by a man with a orange comb-over by public choice.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    400 odd a year die on the roads probably 40,000 have near misses blissfully unaware of it.
    How many near misses do you need to have before "Shit Happens" ... ??

No amount of experience, training or education will prevent the occasional brain fart when you place a human behind a mobile device, be it a scooter, bicycle, motorcycle, car, truck, plane .....
    So ... when you do it it's a "Brain Fart" and is both acceptable and expected ... would you say the same if you were on the receiving end of a "Brain Fart" .. ???

The Mobile device that kills too many people in vehicles ... is the cell phone.

America is run by a man with a orange comb-over by public choice.
    If you have the money ... you can buy anything in America.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Google suggests that driver distraction is #1 with speed, driver impairment, rain, recklessness etc following on.

Speed is easy to measure and invoice, which I found out recently riding back from Whangarei a couple of weeks back, wet day on the bike.

I was actually the slowest vehicle on the road for the journey and was passed by quite a few of those fancy go anywhere lifestyle utes.
    What is a lifestyle ute?
    Lets go Brandon

Thread Information