Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Lowering speed limits to 80 (from 100) and 30/40 (from 50)... A research paper.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    So a Hilux penis extender travelling at 80 hits an equivalent Hilux penis extender also travelling at 80, directly head on.

Isn't the impact equal on both parts, and equivalent to a Hilux penis extender hitting a solid fixed object at 160?
    So yes for the first part, and no for the 2nd.

Read my post before. Draw a series of pictures. Start with the blowfly. Hitting another blowfly.
    Scale it up.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Red-shifted GT250R
    Of course, as ScubaSteve noted, a large number of collisions occur between vehicles of different sizes (and the rest).

If a 1 tonne vehicle at 80 km/h collides with a 2 tonne vehicle at 80 km/h, the result is the 1 tonne vehicle moving backwards at 26 km/h. That means it effectively decelerated from 106 km/h, which is a little less than double the energy.

So if you are in a small car and faced with deciding between colliding with an immovable object or the afore-mentioned HPE, chose the immovable object.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonicorn View Post

If lowering the speed causes less accidents, maybe they aren't going far enough, maybe speed limits should be 60 on highways and 20 on town streets.
    its not even about that.They know that if two objects collide at a lower speed the outcomes are much much better for the mushy beings involved in said impact

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Really interesting video. It's challenging to be wrong, but hey, it's a learner.

Back in the real world, would you rather be hit by a car doing 50, or a car doing 30?

I know, I know, we'd rather not be hit by a car.

Bike
    suzuki
    Really interesting video. It's challenging to be wrong, but hey, it's a learner.

Back in the real world, would you rather be hit by a car doing 50, or a car doing 30?

I know, I know, we'd rather not be hit by a car.
    i'd rather that the person was attentive, dumbing down speed limits means people are driving around in a daze, not concentrating etc

Bike
    XR650R
    I remember when they proposed raising the speed limit from 80kph, the AA asked a german road safety advisor to assess our roads for a suggested limit -he suggested setting it at 140kph, he was shot down of course, but that speed is in my opinion realistic, but that's relevant to the driver being of reasonable skill level , who is paying attention and thinking ahead.
    I used to say to people that they should remove the airbags from the steering wheel and put a large steel spike there instead, then people would pay a lot more attention and would be really keen on not crashing !!!

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporary-Kiwi View Post
    I remember when they proposed raising the speed limit from 80kph, the AA asked a german road safety advisor to assess our roads for a suggested limit -he suggested setting it at 140kph, he was shot down of course, but that speed is in my opinion realistic, but that's relevant to the driver being of reasonable skill level , who is paying attention and thinking ahead
    I'd also support a higher speed limit, if we were all awesome drivers/riders, who never made mistakes and always paid attention.

Until then, I'm okay with slowing bad drivers down.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

Im ok with it as well. As long as motorcycles can go 140.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    Assuming 2 identical vehicles, closing speed 160km/h, impact speed 80km/h. Just like driving into an immovable object. You would of course still end up dead.

If we just pretend for a moment that both vehicles remained on their own side of the road, the closing speed would be close to 160km/h, but there would be no impact speed due to there being no impact. This 2nd scenario it makes no difference what speed either vehicle is traveling at.

The head on smash in Wellington earlier this year where someone was going the wrong way on the motorway, if they had both been keeping left they would have passed each other harmlessly. As it was the speed the innocent party was going made absolutely no difference.

The whole "safer speed", "slow down", road safety message is the biggest load of garbage, and I suspect(no data), results in very little benefit.

What happened to the road toll when the speed limit was reduced to 80km/h years ago when imported fuel costs jumped? Supposedly the lower speed was going to result in lower fuel consumption, which I doubt was actually an effect, all to do with thermodynamic efficiencies of engines at various speeds and loads. Another example of being seen to be doing something, like lowering the speed limit, again, now.
    the road toll dropped because people were doing fewer kilometres,similar things have happened recently when fuel prices have spiked

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    You guys heard of VKT? It's vehicle kms travelled, in millions of km.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VKT v Deaths.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	342151

Deaths have been going up, even relative to VKT. The number of deaths and serious injuries can be only partly attributed to the extra vehicle KMs being driven.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Deaths have been going up, even relative to VKT.
    Slightly. For three years. Prior to which it's been going down for decades, 90% of which is engineering related.

Let's not overreact here, we're still well below the fatalities we managed 10 years ago, when you would have had to drive the length of NZ an average of sixty two thousand times to have a decent chance of popping your clogs.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporary-Kiwi View Post
    I remember when they proposed raising the speed limit from 80kph, the AA asked a german road safety advisor to assess our roads for a suggested limit -he suggested setting it at 140kph, he was shot down of course, but that speed is in my opinion realistic, but that's relevant to the driver being of reasonable skill level , who is paying attention and thinking ahead.
    I used to say to people that they should remove the airbags from the steering wheel and put a large steel spike there instead, then people would pay a lot more attention and would be really keen on not crashing !!!
    I doubt any German would have said that.
    I've ridden/driven in Germany and its several levels above the windy twisty goat tracks we have here as well as much more disciplined drivers ( saying that my last time there was before dumb phones)
    Portugal, Spain an Greece is more like here.
    80 would be fine, just leave home earlier and enjoy the drive/ride.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    XR650R
    another factor for more recent years road toll could be the amount of immigrants who are not used to out roading network and rules .
    if we lower speed limits it won't make people better drivers, it will only compound the problem, I'm sure that driving at higher speeds can increase the level of skill , to simply associate less deaths by driving slower is ignoring the cause of crashes - crap driving skills, and lack of due care , saying that won't improve via better training is just copping out , every human endeavour is carried out more efficiently by training

Bike
    Yo momma
    I'd also support a higher speed limit, if we were all awesome drivers/riders, who never made mistakes and always paid attention.

Or show the O for orsum drivers they ain't all that and fix the crap roads.
    Lets go Brandon

Thread Information