Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lowering speed limits to 80 (from 100) and 30/40 (from 50)... A research paper.

Bike
    XR650R
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Hmmmm.

We did a research project into the attitudes of drivers across Canterbury late last year.

Two striking common themes arose.

1. People think driver education is a great idea....................for other people. Very few people actually go and get education for themselves.
    2. And people generally think they are better than average. This is mostly because they see other people making mistakes, but don't see their own mistakes.

In the motorcycle world, it's fairly cheap to get training. Through the Ride Forever programme. But no such subsidized programme is available for car drivers. Most people who get driver training once they have a full licence are given it by their employer. Very, very few seek out and get driver education for themselves, at their own cost. And those who do prefer to be shown racing lines on a track and how to get the most out of their HSV or WRX.

Very few people ever see the need to get basic driver training, as they think they are good enough anyway. It's them other people who need training.

Like the people who don't indicate properly at roundabouts. I guess nobody ever died from that, but it sure pisses people off. But who ever gets education on how to indicate at roundabouts?
    it seems obvious to me that the license test is completely inadequate as a standard bearer for access to our roads
    we have variable conditions and vastly different types of roads, yet we spend mega dollars on supposed safety schemes, even more on "safer roads", yet still the same faulty level of instruction for driving, i.e mum/dad.
    I think the definition of insanity is to do the same thing and expect a better outcome !
    if we had a comprehensive training scheme in place that allowed people to actually achieve some level of competence prior to actually being allowed control of a lethal object, surely that would reduce the amount of crashes, I mean if you want less harm on the roads , having drivers who are able to stay on their side of the road , and have some idea that paying attention to whats coming up ahead, not their cellphone is the prime objective - not crashing means not harming

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporary-Kiwi View Post
    it seems obvious to me that the license test is completely inadequate as a standard bearer for access to our roads
    we have variable conditions and vastly different types of roads, yet we spend mega dollars on supposed safety schemes, even more on "safer roads", yet still the same faulty level of instruction for driving, i.e mum/dad.
    I think the definition of insanity is to do the same thing and expect a better outcome !
    if we had a comprehensive training scheme in place that allowed people to actually achieve some level of competence prior to actually being allowed control of a lethal object, surely that would reduce the amount of crashes, I mean if you want less harm on the roads , having drivers who are able to stay on their side of the road , and have some idea that paying attention to whats coming up ahead, not their cellphone is the prime objective - not crashing means not harming
    Have you done a Ride Forever course?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Like the people who don't indicate properly at roundabouts.
    God moves in mysterious ways - but those arseholes are supposed to use their blinkers.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    It's funny how human nature makes us react to things like this...

Additional training, whatever form you take it in, is never seen as being a cool thing to do. It feels like you're being taken to task sometimes when your riding/driving is criticised, I should know as it happened to me quite a bit when I started doing my IAM training again here in NZ.

I found that simply telling someone else about the training you were undertaking, be it your partner, friend, work colleague or simply someone you know helps you to rationalise it. In other words it sounds a lot better and more grown up when you tell someone else about what you are doing in order to try and better your riding.

We all have different reasons for doing so. Whether it's to try and do a new/faster/more expensive machine justice, because we've had a close call ourselves or simply because someone suggested it to us it simply doesn't matter. Training helps you do your bit to make you and the people around you safer.

This story about speed limits makes me mad because this aspect to self improvement is simply brushed under the carpet. Doubtless the media has put their own spin on it for those of us who are hard of thinking. A shame really as the message that speed is the root of all evil is being well and truly rammed home once more.

Bike
    XR650R
    Have you done a Ride Forever course?
    I admit I haven't completed a course , I also admit to not having crashed into anyone, I do training, just not what some might call training, I regularly practice crash avoidance tactics, brake testing, machine handling skills, and practice the roadcraft I've learned over 40yrs riding
    and avoiding those who have tried to make me a statistic
    I'm suggesting training of new driver primarily, but I also realise all driver would benefit from advanced driver training, and if it meant lower insurance, acc levy or is mandated b4 I could renew my license I'd be willing

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    are you sure this motorbike thing is for you?
    It's not perfect but it's what I can easily enjoy.

It has taught me to think further ahead when using the road, to ride appropriately for the conditions and surrounding idiots.

I have done training and when I ride I try and learn something each time, when riding with others I learn a lot.
    I try to ride only with those I think will educate me about my riding.

I intend on doing more training when I get a few more km done.

Being aware is important. Being responsible on the road is hard for most.

Speed amplifies mistakes. It doesn't cause them.

What next? Will we need a person in front carrying a flag?

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Hmmmm.

We did a research project into the attitudes of drivers across Canterbury late last year.

Two striking common themes arose.

1. People think driver education is a great idea....................for other people. Very few people actually go and get education for themselves.
    2. And people generally think they are better than average. This is mostly because they see other people making mistakes, but don't see their own mistakes.

In the motorcycle world, it's fairly cheap to get training. Through the Ride Forever programme. But no such subsidized programme is available for car drivers. Most people who get driver training once they have a full licence are given it by their employer. Very, very few seek out and get driver education for themselves, at their own cost. And those who do prefer to be shown racing lines on a track and how to get the most out of their HSV or WRX.

Very few people ever see the need to get basic driver training, as they think they are good enough anyway. It's them other people who need training.

Like the people who don't indicate properly at roundabouts. I guess nobody ever died from that, but it sure pisses people off. But who ever gets education on how to indicate at roundabouts?
    So these Ride Forever courses. I did the Bronze one a few years back (it was free I think). Are the silver and gold ones worth doing? and do I get snacks? maybe a few beers?
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    So these Ride Forever courses. I did the Bronze one a few years back (it was free I think). Are the silver and gold ones worth doing? and do I get snacks? maybe a few beers?
    If you do it in Selwyn, I think you may get a handbag....You responsible for those Rastus ?

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    If you do it in Selwyn, I think you may get a handbag....You responsible for those Rastus ?
    If you're a resident of Selwyn, I'll pay for your R4E course. I even have a handbag you can have. Bought it for a friend.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporary-Kiwi View Post
    I admit I haven't completed a course , I also admit to not having crashed into anyone, I do training, just not what some might call training, I regularly practice crash avoidance tactics, brake testing, machine handling skills, and practice the roadcraft I've learned over 40yrs riding
    No criticism, but you made my point well. Lots of people think education is a great idea.........for other people.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    NZ First will block it. Aren?t coalition governments great?

No - they will vote for it. Old people drive slow.

Bike
    XR650R
    No criticism, but you made my point well. Lots of people think education is a great idea.........for other people.
    so you seem to say that the training I've done isn't as good as what your providing simply because it didn't come with some peice of paper ?
    your in the wrong profession, I suggest you join the osh brigade they'd love you, my qualification is 40yrs of fairly extreme motor cycling without crashing into anyone, ie not causing any harm to another person, ain't that the best "certificate"

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Not really a big issue. The law enforcers just want traffic flowing smoothly. If everybody is at the same speed ... they don't stop everybody.

Attract attention by going faster (or slower) than the general flow and you get a ticket.

The 10 km/hr "tolerance" would put the common speed on the highways at 90 km/hr.

In the towns/cities the speed traveled will still be 50 km/hr.

Stupidity and ignorance (with a dash of booze) will still kill as many people.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Not really a big issue.

The 10 km/hr "tolerance" would put the common speed on the highways at 90 km/hr.

In the towns/cities the speed traveled will still be 50 km/hr.
    Finally, some common sense.

Are you married? Do ya wanna be?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    This reminded me of "The Red Car Lady' out my way.

Ellesmere road was 100 - she refused to exceed 80.

They lowered the limit to 80 - she now refuses to exceed 60.

I think she gets her jollies off by being tooted at, abused and recklessly passed. She is dangerous.

Thread Information