Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lowering speed limits to 80 (from 100) and 30/40 (from 50)... A research paper.

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries

Lowering speed limits to 80 (from 100) and 30/40 (from 50)... A research paper.

Labour will do more with this than file it and stamp it... Should we be worried??

https://viastrada.nz/sites/default/f...mits-final.pdf

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Dont mind them dropping some limits down a tad around known crash intersections like they have done in the Selwyn/ChCh district.

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    And the hoons who have all the accidents will still shoot by at 130 and 70 respectively.
    There are two songs, "Stairway to Heaven" and "Highway to Hell" which I think give an indication of expected traffic flow

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Sadly the media have managed to get hold of this and it's being peddled all over the news this evening. Along with pictures of accidents over the Queen's birthday weekend.

It stinks to be honest.

Lowering speed limits doesn't help In fact it turns conformers into law-breakers. The accident stats are about so much more than speed but the authorities simply won't be bold enough to try and tackle the root causes as it takes time, effort and money.

News reporting for the hard of thinking again I'm afraid.

Bike
    raptor 1000
    that stupid mong genter will be fizzing at the bung over this

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    I wonder if there are any stats or study on the effects of slower speeds on driver concentration? Do they feel safer at lower speeds so compensate by driving with less attention than is required at 'normal' speeds?
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
    Dont mind them dropping some limits down a tad around known crash intersections like they have done in the Selwyn/ChCh district.

Agree re some of our local roads. Ellesmere Road was 100 but is way too busy for that now. I do laugh at the section of road along there that started sinking in places and became quite bumpy. The solution was NOT to fix the road but make that short section 70 ...... that's just lazy.

I have noticed people follow closer on roads that were previously 100 and are now 80 .... way to close.

Bike
    Old Bikes
    My take is that it won't happen between now and next election. This government signalled a lot of changes when they came to power. Some they have punched through and they have others to progress but they are long standing ( and involve coalition partners). This one will be put on the back burner unless they get a further mandate at next election.

Wouldn't get too worried about it.
    Ginge

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    I wonder if there are any stats or study on the effects of slower speeds on driver concentration? Do they feel safer at lower speeds so compensate by driving with less attention than is required at 'normal' speeds?
    I am sure there is some merit to this argument.plus of course all the conveniences(distractions) of the modern vehicle.Why do you have to look at ascreen to adjust the a/c ?

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquiztador View Post
    Labour will do more with this than file it and stamp it... Should we be worried??

https://viastrada.nz/sites/default/f...mits-final.pdf
    Yes a 200 kph combined crash doesint appeal much.
    Also i found going into small towns it goes 100 kph 50 then up to 100 then soon after 80 kph or 50kph. Think alot unnecessary. Just keep at 50 kph bit longer.

Sent from my SOV31 using Tapatalk

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1

Lowering speed limits to 80 (from 100) and 30/40 (from 50)... A research paper.

NZ First will block it. Aren?t coalition governments great?

Bike
    XR650R
    politicians are only worried about getting reelected, not actually fixing a problem, and by reducing the speed limit, which won't cost much $$$ and they will be able to claim they've done something to save lives
    on the other hand, by having crashes at slower speeds and probably more surviving the impact, it will mean a fair few more people being in intensive care for longer and massive amount of acc payments and downtime for rehab.
    this could end up costing the government more money than bringing a real cure like actually training people how to control a vehicle and avoid accidents in the first place!!!

Bike
    Red-shifted GT250R
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporary-Kiwi View Post
    by having crashes at slower speeds and probably more surviving the impact, it will mean a fair few more people being in intensive care for longer and massive amount of acc payments and downtime for rehab.
    Sheeiit, I hope you missed the sarcasm tag there, because that doesn't make any sense. At all.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    how many times have you seen speed signs changed to XX temporary?
    later to become XX speed limit

far too often.

This week while travelling, along I have narrowly missed either being taken out or taking someone else out, more than 6 times.
    None involved speed.
    All related to people not paying attention or being able to see intersections/lanes

1 overcooked corner - ended in ditch

1 under cooked corner - tried taking out car which was stationary waiting to turn out of street

1 vehicle couldn't make up mind which lane it was in the one in the direction it was travelling or the one going the other way. Seriously thought about dobbing this one in, so bad it wasnt funny.

2 people have no idea of give way rule when turning right at a X intersection - they just rip out onto the main road..... '"Its my right" was the answer to why they ploughed into another car which was already travelling straight across an intersection, when the 'victum' put the boot down and turn right into them

2 people walking out onto road with no regard to green light (one of these I narrowly avoided-they had no idea, motorcycle skills came to fore here, planned exit strategy)

none of these would have made a difference what speed the area was.

and that was just this week.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    XR650R
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    how many times have you seen speed signs changed to XX temporary?
    later to become XX speed limit

far too often.

This week while travelling, along I have narrowly missed either being taken out or taking someone else out, more than 6 times.
    None involved speed.
    All related to people not paying attention or being able to see intersections/lanes

1 overcooked corner - ended in ditch

1 under cooked corner - tried taking out car which was stationary waiting to turn out of street

1 vehicle couldn't make up mind which lane it was in the one in the direction it was travelling or the one going the other way. Seriously thought about dobbing this one in, so bad it wasnt funny.

2 people have no idea of give way rule when turning right at a X intersection - they just rip out onto the main road..... '"Its my right" was the answer to why they ploughed into another car which was already travelling straight across an intersection, when the 'victum' put the boot down and turn right into them

2 people walking out onto road with no regard to green light (one of these I narrowly avoided-they had no idea, motorcycle skills came to fore here, planned exit strategy)

none of these would have made a difference what speed the area was.

and that was just this week.
    seems your also saying as I did that people need to be trained how to drive, roadcraft is severely lacking in the general driving population, im actually against lowering the speed limit at all, id rather they raise it to what a german feller advised the AA when the speed limit got raised to 100kph, he suggested 140kph open road limit
    at that speed all the lemings will kill themselves off and thereby stop breeding more , all i meant is by the stupid people crashing at lower speeds, there will probably be more of them that survive the crash and then cost the taxpayer more $$$ to get healed up

Thread Information