Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Warranties & transport stats

  1. #1
    Join Date
    14th July 2006 - 21:39
    Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    9,083
    Blog Entries
    8

    Warranties & transport stats

    So this started as a groan about short warranty periods on new motorcycles -

    I see the car sales in NZ must be getting more competitive - it's now common to get a 5 year 150,000km new vehicle warranty and new vehicle pricing does not appear to be increasing at a standard inflation rate.

    A 2014 report says on average men travel 12,000kms per year and women 8,000 in their cars.

    (Road) Motorcycles sadly still carry a pitiful 2 year warranty.

    Whats' the average yearly coverage of a motorcycle? 5-7k, likely half a car.

    I checked offshore - 2 years appears to be the global motorcycle standard but you can purchase interesting extended service plans in the USA.


    Then moved on to our KB favorite - statistics

    Looking up the report was interesting in that motorcycles barely registrar as transport in the house hold survey.

    https://www.transport.govt.nz/assets...1-Final-v3.pdf

  2. #2
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,061
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    So this started as a groan about short warranty periods on new motorcycles -

    I see the car sales in NZ must be getting more competitive - it's now common to get a 5 year 150,000km new vehicle warranty and new vehicle pricing does not appear to be increasing at a standard inflation rate.

    A 2014 report says on average men travel 12,000kms per year and women 8,000 in their cars.

    (Road) Motorcycles sadly still carry a pitiful 2 year warranty.

    Whats' the average yearly coverage of a motorcycle? 5-7k, likely half a car.

    I checked offshore - 2 years appears to be the global motorcycle standard but you can purchase interesting extended service plans in the USA.


    Then moved on to our KB favorite - statistics

    Looking up the report was interesting in that motorcycles barely registrar as transport in the house hold survey.

    https://www.transport.govt.nz/assets...1-Final-v3.pdf

    The warranty protects against the possibility of faulty manufacturing or materials. Parts and labour costs relating to normal scheduled servicing are in most cases at the owners expense. Those with a warranty issue ... READ THE WARRANTY. If you buy a motorcycle ... Read the warranty FIRST. Before you go anywhere. It may not be as good as you think it is ... or as you think it should be. The written warranty is usually thrown in the bottom drawer for the first few months un-read. Exceed the time/distance for the service's can void the warranty in the first few months.



    Some riders do (hundreds of) thousands of km's per year. Some do very little. "Average" distance traveled has as much relevance as New Zealands "Average" annual income.



    Statistics are collated facts ... so they can't be wrong ... right ... ???
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    14th July 2006 - 21:39
    Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    9,083
    Blog Entries
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post

    Statistics are collated facts ... so they can't be wrong ... right ... ???
    Best example of stats is the recent Aussie election - hows down win based on stats - oops the other guy landslided it!


    From past experience years back your new vehicle warranty is as good as your dealer - get a dealer who goes into bat for you and you are fine.

    Aftermarket used car warranties are interesting.

    For the life of me I fail to understand why they exclude fluids (other than the cost) - need work on a failed part that requires a drain and they pay for everything except the new oil. Ya can't run a engine without it .........

    Mrs B's Golf (now gone thankfully) had yet another problem a few weeks prior to the three year extended warranty running out. The company was unhappy with her claim and made several phone calls to the mechanic and eventually me. Until I pointed out we had a valid contract between the parties and a valid mechanical failure claim they were trying to get out of spending another grand on it.

    Then they had the cheek to try and insist I have a full service done at my expense to the car as a condition on them approving the claim.

    I pointed out the 'contract' between us required me to have the car serviced annually or every 15,000 kms. It had had a service within the past six months 7,000 or so kms. Thus no requirement at all contractually for me to pay for another service (and it was getting fresh oil to fix the problem anyway).

    I was put onto a 'manager' and common sense prevailed.

    I guess dealing with lawyers on both sides for years now at work has taught me something.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    14th July 2006 - 21:39
    Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    9,083
    Blog Entries
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Those with a warranty issue ... READ THE WARRANTY. If you buy a motorcycle ... Read the warranty FIRST. Before you go anywhere. It may not be as good as you think it is ... or as you think it should be.

    My Ducati one whet exactly where you said - bottom of draw. Expired now of course but I may drag it out as I had a funny feeling of reading some phrase along the lines of any modification not approved by Ducati voiding the warranty. I mean, shit - change tyre brand and you are fucked!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •