Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Stop the lie in motorcycling?

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I have been informed that 28% of killed or seriously injured were riding impaired in NZ.

Thats still a high number.
    Once again, it's clearly the safe group.
    It sounds like 72 percent of people can't handle a bike unless they've had a beer or two.
    Whatever would we do if 100 percent of crashes couldn't be attributed to alcohol? That would give stupidity a big job to handle.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporary-Kiwi View Post
    my best mate nearly died after 2 cans of beer he had after work, it was just enough to affect his concentration
    he rode straight into a parked car at approx 100kph, he didn't even attempt to brake or avoid it, spent 5-6mnths in hospital recuperating.
    he was an awesome rider, with amazing skills, but that incident really brought it home to me about the effects of alcohol and driving.
    he gave up biking afterwards, which I still can't figure out as he was the only other rider I've been able to race side by side and know exactly what he would do.
    it brought back memories of the alcohol awareness program that I saw at high school, " the roadshow".
    I knew a guy like that, we called him Toucan.
    If you dont posess the ability to look straight ahead at 100kmh then you've got bigger problems that a couple of cans of piss on board.
    Seems a convenient thing to blame though, beats simply calling him stupid.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Just out of interest, I've always been skeptical about the bike runs starting or ending at pubs.

Even a pint or two slows the mind down. Legal or not doesn't come into it.
    Here that is called buzzed driving and you can get done for it even if you are below the limit. Driving under the influence.
    Lets go Brandon

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    By years, of watching you peddle crap on KB, claiming "that there is plenty of facts to back you up", on what ever rubbish you were pushing at the time.
    Then, when challenged to prove it, you go telling people, "they need to go find it themselves".....
    Where as you will reply with 3 pages of cut and pastes and blame Donald trump and National.
    Lets go Brandon

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    Where as you will reply with 3 pages of cut and pastes and blame Donald trump and National.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FnO3igOkOk

Ps i have never blamed Trump for anything, the guys a buffoon, Who is only president due to the number of stupid people in the USA. I blame them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    We used to have a few laughs at the after work drinks, putting ourselves on the breath testing machines.

It was eye opening how much you had to drink to get even close to the legal limit.

Most, if not all of us, wouldn't even think of driving with enough on board to get close to the legal limit.

Then on the next late shift we get a guy telling us that he failed the breath test after having two beers. Yeah right. Bollocks.

Bike
    motocompo
    We used to have a few laughs at the after work drinks, putting ourselves on the breath testing machines.

It was eye opening how much you had to drink to get even close to the legal limit.

Most, if not all of us, wouldn't even think of driving with enough on board to get close to the legal limit.

Then on the next late shift we get a guy telling us that he failed the breath test after having two beers. Yeah right. Bollocks.
    I frequently drank at the local police station with the off duty Strategic Traffic Unit guys (police name for traffic cops) around 15-20 years ago.
    Blowing into the machine until "fail youth" took a decent effort & leaving there was the most pissed i rode ever, in the knowledge that I was safely under the limit.
    Thats why i have no sympathy for people that get done for drink driving. They know full well that theyre proper pissed up.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1

I recall Campbell Live doing this a few years ago as part of the campaign to reduce the alcohol limit. One of the reporters needed something like 10 standard drinks to get over the old limit, and he was pretty drunk by then.

Even a few drinks does affect you. I had a near miss last year driving up the road to get dinner after 3 beers. I felt fine driving but my reaction time was slow when someone pulled out in front of me.

I'll have one light beer and ride but that's it.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    They could make the limit 0, would make decisions easier and roads safer, Heineken 0 is palatable.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I recall Campbell Live doing this s few years ago as part of the campaign to reduce the alcohol limit. One of the reporters needed something like 10 standard drinks to get over the old limit, and he was pretty drunk by then.

Even a few drinks does affect you. I had a near miss last year driving up the road to get dinner after 3 beers. I felt fine driving but my reaction time was slow when someone pulled out in front of me.

I'll have one light beer and ride but that's it.
    That was a secret they didn't want to get out. That you could have quite a lot and still drive legal. It would have been dangerous to make it public.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    That was a secret they didn't want to get out. That you could have quite a lot and still drive legal. It would have been dangerous to make it public.
    Campbell Live didn't get that memo.

Must be at least 30 years ago, but my wife and I were out one night and both had waaay too much to be driving. I drove home and we were stopped at a checkpoint, so I thought I'd be well over the limit. Passed the roadside test.

I never did that again though. I really don't understand why there is so little breath testing done now. It must be 5 years since I've been stopped, but it used to be every few months.

Bike
    XR650R
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I knew a guy like that, we called him Toucan.
    If you dont posess the ability to look straight ahead at 100kmh then you've got bigger problems that a couple of cans of piss on board.
    Seems a convenient thing to blame though, beats simply calling him stupid.
    that was the point , he was looking straight ahead, he had just past my other mate and then within 100mtrs on a slight bend, on the road that led to his home his brain switched off what he was doing, stove in the bluebird boot, which luckily released the bootlid, his pelvis got smashed on the triple trees, handle bars looked like a bowtie, broke most bones in his front side, and this rider could slide both wheels around a corner with ease.
    the mate he passed watched him do it, he couldn't imagine any cause, we all checked the bike , it didn't have any fault we could attribute it to, plus he didn't brake at all, no swerving just a complete brain fade, which was not like him at all, his occupation was computer systems analysis
    the only thing we could attribute it to was the couple of beers after he finished work

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I really don't understand why there is so little breath testing done now. It must be 5 years since I've been stopped, but it used to be every few months.

Basically, breath testing is proactive work. It's intended to prevent people from taking the risk of drink driving, by increasing the perception of the risk of getting caught.

Thing is, as with all proactive work, it's the first thing that stops when the reactive workload booms. Notably, when the policy of attending all burglaries within 48 hours came in, that consumed a lot of resources. And that's just one example.

When they wound down the booze bus units around the country, it was to release the staff to other higher priority things.

Inevitably it was going to have pay back, and we are seeing it now. Less breath testing means more drink driving, and that's exactly what we are seeing now.

Bike
    suzuki
    Basically, breath testing is proactive work. It's intended to prevent people from taking the risk of drink driving, by increasing the perception of the risk of getting caught.

Thing is, as with all proactive work, it's the first thing that stops when the reactive workload booms. Notably, when the policy of attending all burglaries within 48 hours came in, that consumed a lot of resources. And that's just one example.

When they wound down the booze bus units around the country, it was to release the staff to other higher priority things.

Inevitably it was going to have pay back, and we are seeing it now. Less breath testing means more drink driving, and that's exactly what we are seeing now.
    as i don't drink drive but am at risk of getting my house burgled i'm fine with that...
    however i guess at the same time i've now more chance of getting hit by a drink driver...

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    They could make the limit 0, would make decisions easier and roads safer, Heineken 0 is palatable.
    and the speed limit 0 too, that would solve some problems...

Thread Information