Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop the lie in motorcycling?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

Stop the lie in motorcycling?

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I'm something of a lightweight when it comes to drinking - crack back a quick pint at the end of the day and the buzz starts, no way I'd be comfortable driving/riding if I had two. People are different in how their bodies react to the stuff.

I never drink and ride.

As a side note - I do like a strong black coffee - and I have noticed after one of these the ride home generally is somewhat more, shall we say, spirited.

I can legally have as much coffee as I like and ride.

Did he say 100 American motorcyclists die a week?

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I'm something of a lightweight when it comes to drinking - crack back a quick pint at the end of the day and the buzz starts, no way I'd be comfortable driving/riding if I had two. People are different in how their bodies react to the stuff.

I never drink and ride.

As a side note - I do like a strong black coffee - and I have noticed after one of these the ride home generally is somewhat more, shall we say, spirited.

I can legally have as much coffee as I like and ride.

Did he say 100 American motorcyclists die a week?
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-solano-county

The officer then observed the same driver erratically weaving in and out of traffic almost causing several collisions. The officer initiated a traffic stop on the vehicle. During the traffic stop, the driver, Joseph Schwab, was contacted and the officer observed the defendant to be highly agitated, “amped up,” and his pupils were dilated. The officer noticed a number of work out supplements in the vehicle. The officer administered several standardized field sobriety tests, which are used routinely to determine impairment. Based upon the defendant’s performance of the field sobriety tests, the officer believed the defendant was too impaired to operate a motor vehicle and he was arrested for misdemeanor violations of Vehicle Code Section 23152(e) and Vehicle Code Section 23103. The officer offered the defendant to submit to a drug recognition evaluation, but he declined.
    Pretty sure the charge was dropped, when only caffeine was found
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    motocompo
    I'd like to raise two points regarding that clip if he wants to bang on about lying.
    The first one is that while 47 percent of riders that die in bike crashes have alcohol in their system, he doesn't say what the cause of the crash was or who's fault, simply that in addition to whatever the cause was of their untimely demise, they also had alcohol on board in an unspecified quantity. Possibly quite a percentage were on Dunlop tyres or riding "cruiser styled motorcycles" how many were in a group ride too? which in my expierence is far more dangerous than a couple of beers on board.
    You can be sure that only a small percentage of that 47 percent was directly undoubtedly attributed to alcohol.
    Secondly, if alcohol is the only barrow he's pushing, which group would you want to be in? The alcohol 47 percent of fatal crashes one or the non alcohol 53 percent one?
    The way he's selling it with his overly simplistic black & white thinking is that it's 3% safer to ride pissed.
    He's also suggesting, no, actually preaching, that knocking alcohol on the head will prevent 47 percent of all motorcycle fatal crashes.
    Should we test that theory? Then what could he blame 47 percent of motorcycle fatalities on? Bear in mind his figure of 47 percent is based on anyone with a alcohol level of .01 or more, so that includes anyone that's had a tablespoon of cough mixture in the previous hour.
    Perhaps if he's got a problem with people selling a lie he should start by looking in the mirror.
    I'm no way in favour of people riding pissed, but if you want to create an argument against it at least make it a robust argument, not one that only a simpleton would swallow.
    Looking at the comments his followers look as gullible as Destiny church members.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I think I can say easily I have met more alcoholics in motorcycling than I have In any other area.
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I'd like to raise two points regarding that clip if he wants to bang on about lying.
    The first one is that while 47 percent of riders that die in bike crashes have alcohol in their system, he doesn't say what the cause of the crash was or who's fault, simply that in addition to whatever the cause was of their untimely demise, they also had alcohol on board in an unspecified quantity.
    Seldom is there a motor vehicle crash that is caused by one factor alone. Booze in itself will not guarantee an "accident" will happen ... but add a bit of speed into the equation ... plus a few other riders/vehicles in close proximity ... as the number factors involved are increasing, as will the likely-hood of a crash increase.

Speed and booze are the two factors involved in a large number of crashes, so it's hammered in the media's. Removing those two factors off the road wont stop crashes either. Stupid decision making due to impatience and arrogance causes more than a few crashes ... it's probably the (actual) factors that are more common and just as dangerous as speed and booze. It's difficult to Police/prevent stupidity. Just taking booze (and speed) out of the equation ... will not stop the carnage on the roads.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I think I can say easily I have met more alcoholics in motorcycling than I have In any other area.
    You haven't lived long enough or got out enough...

Speedway - across all disciplines, leads for me. Followed closely by yachting. Cruising not racing.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I have only known a few alcoholics and none owned a bike, they wouldn't have the spare cash after paying for their main hobby. It costs a lot to be a drunk. Most bikers I know have one beer with their lunch and that's it. OK, it might be even better not to have that one but as long as they make allowances?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Stop the lie in motorcycling?
    You should concentrate on exposing those faulty sidestand springs.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    It costs a lot to be a drunk.
    Not if you make your own moonshine...
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Just out of interest, I've always been skeptical about the bike runs starting or ending at pubs.

Even a pint or two slows the mind down. Legal or not doesn't come into it.

Bike
    TF125
    Stop hanging out with fuckwits.

Bike
    a red heap
    Imagine all the awesome statistics if they legalise the dumbsmoke.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    Imagine all the awesome statistics if they legalise the dumbsmoke.
    1. The government supports free use of cannabis.
    2. The government cares about road safety.

You can have one or the other, not both.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Ooooh fuck here comes the fun police to make sure we're not enjoying ourselves too much.

Have you guys looked at the lifetime probability of dying in a road accident? I did the maths myself recently.

If you drive at an average speed of 80km/h, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year, on average you'd need to drive for over 250 years straight before dying in a motor accident.

Motorcycles are dramatically more dangerous - under the same conditions you'd have to ride for 12 straight years before dying on average. 12 straight years of riding 24/7 without even stopping to take a piss.

Road deaths aren't as common as people think, or as common as the police want you to believe (they have to justify their pathetic existence somehow). So stop fucking leturing people on how dangerous it is out there.

Thread Information