Advertise with Kiwi Biker
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47

Thread: Electric

  1. #16
    Join Date
    13th June 2010 - 17:47
    Bike
    Exercycle
    Location
    Out in the cold
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    we simply don't have tha ability to supply power to them if they become widespread. avergae house power supply, 63amps, cooking is 32 amps so half that, additioanlly the wires up and down the street aren't big enough either.
    Ironically, the rural sector may be better prepared - at least local to me.
    There's been a big uptake in the Central Plains water scheme - which has involved installing on farm pumps as well.
    In a lot of cases this has meant an upgrade to existing power lines and supplies. The bigger dairy farms already had the capacity anyway.

    If the electric farm bike guys were switched on, they'd be offering charging station installs at cost with every two bikes bought.
    I will no longer see PM's on this a/c. If you wish to PM me, use grumphv2 a/c please - and include an email address if you require a reply.
    Thanks

  2. #17
    Join Date
    14th July 2006 - 21:39
    Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    9,083
    Blog Entries
    8
    Local bodies and Governments are so woried about votes that they ignore very sensible long term thinking.

    Post earthquake in Christchurch and now north of us I though it would be the ideal time for every new or significantly repaired home to have to have compulsory solar power in some format - a minimum would be hot water heating.

    But no, that extra $5-8k investment in the future would no doubt upset voters.

    Also I noted recently that NONE of the Kiwibuild houses has any form of solar generation. Fucking Green Party is a weak ineffective piss-take of a party.

    Short sighted, self serving bastards, more worried about going 5km over the speed limit than something practical.

    As a side note the new house I purchased came fitted with one of these units for the hot water - bloody brilliant. https://www.icesolar.co.nz/

  3. #18
    Join Date
    14th June 2007 - 22:39
    Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Location
    Pigs back.
    Posts
    4,775
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Local bodies and Governments are so woried about votes that they ignore very sensible long term thinking.

    Post earthquake in Christchurch and now north of us I though it would be the odeal time for every new or significantly repaired home to have to have compulsory solar power in some format - a minimum would be hot water heating.

    But no, that extra $5-8k investment in the future would no doubt upset voters.

    Also I noted recently that NONE of the Kiwibuild houses has any form of solar generation. Fucking Green Party is a weak ineffective piss-take of a party.

    Short sighted, self serving bastards, more worried about going 5km over the speed limit than something practical.

    As a side note the new house I purchased came fitted with one of these units for the hot water - bloody brilliant. https://www.icesolar.co.nz/
    Couldn't agree more. Big picture stuff is a hard sell and long term thinking is not our nations strong point.
    Manopausal.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    14th July 2006 - 21:39
    Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    9,083
    Blog Entries
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Big picture stuff is a hard sell and long term thinking is not our nations strong point.
    I think that has something to do with the short political term (only three years). When you get in you really can't do a lot of significant future thinking in the first three years of merit or you run the risk of being to radical and getting kicked out next election.

    Four or five years would potentially change this, risk is you get a really useless government and are stuck with them for longer.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    13th June 2010 - 17:47
    Bike
    Exercycle
    Location
    Out in the cold
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Local bodies and Governments are so woried about votes that they ignore very sensible long term thinking.

    Post earthquake in Christchurch and now north of us I though it would be the ideal time for every new or significantly repaired home to have to have compulsory solar power in some format - a minimum would be hot water heating.

    But no, that extra $5-8k investment in the future would no doubt upset voters.

    Also I noted recently that NONE of the Kiwibuild houses has any form of solar generation. Fucking Green Party is a weak ineffective piss-take of a party.

    Short sighted, self serving bastards, more worried about going 5km over the speed limit than something practical.

    As a side note the new house I purchased came fitted with one of these units for the hot water - bloody brilliant. https://www.icesolar.co.nz/
    Yes and no....Some years back I was working for an outfit which installed solar water heating. I got talking at an energy seminar to the then co-leader of the Greens, the ChCh guy who died shortly afterward. He was keen on solar so I told him the facts - no subsidies, no certified installers etc...My boss reckoned it was wasted effort but the next year, bugger me, there was a subsidised course for installers - and a subsidy. Both since deleted but they certainly listened - and responded.
    Given that the post quakes clusterfuck was National driven, you were never going to get more than the bare minimum of repair/replacement anyway.
    I will no longer see PM's on this a/c. If you wish to PM me, use grumphv2 a/c please - and include an email address if you require a reply.
    Thanks

  6. #21
    Join Date
    28th September 2017 - 18:48
    Bike
    R6
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    we simply don't have tha ability to supply power to them if they become widespread. avergae house power supply, 63amps, cooking is 32 amps so half that, additioanlly the wires up and down the street aren't big enough either.
    Exactly, wiring for domestic is going to be a nightmare to bring into line. Instead of phone or internet like dial-up, it'll be heating/cooking or making it to work tomorrow...

  7. #22
    Join Date
    4th October 2008 - 16:35
    Bike
    R100GSPD
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    9,713
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Local bodies and Governments are so woried about votes that they ignore very sensible long term thinking.

    Post earthquake in Christchurch and now north of us I though it would be the ideal time for every new or significantly repaired home to have to have compulsory solar power in some format - a minimum would be hot water heating.

    But no, that extra $5-8k investment in the future would no doubt upset voters.

    Also I noted recently that NONE of the Kiwibuild houses has any form of solar generation. Fucking Green Party is a weak ineffective piss-take of a party.

    Short sighted, self serving bastards, more worried about going 5km over the speed limit than something practical.

    As a side note the new house I purchased came fitted with one of these units for the hot water - bloody brilliant. https://www.icesolar.co.nz/
    who pays? No insurance company will ever pay for something new which wasnt there before.
    The poor old homeowner will be maxed out with just replacing what he had.
    Are you suggesting a grant of some sort?.Solar enrgy is a bit tricky.Direct solar heating of your hot water is probablly the most efficient,because it reduces the draw on the whole grid at he same time .If you want storage it becomes a whole lot more expensive and complex.You need to remain tied to the grid because there will be times that you need supplementary power,and it is a good way to distribute excess power. I think most people dont realise that solar (pv) is really only good for relatively low current draws,stoves and hot water would draw the batteires down quickly

  8. #23
    Join Date
    14th July 2006 - 21:39
    Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    9,083
    Blog Entries
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    who pays? No insurance company will ever pay for something new which wasnt there before.
    If it's compliance driven the insurer would have to install it - just like insulation (that wasn't in a 1960's build), double glazing, compliant log burners (no open fires) etc etc.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    3rd February 2004 - 08:11
    Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Location
    Wallaceville, Upper hutt
    Posts
    4,279
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    who pays? No insurance company will ever pay for something new which wasnt there before.
    The poor old homeowner will be maxed out with just replacing what he had.
    Are you suggesting a grant of some sort?.Solar enrgy is a bit tricky.Direct solar heating of your hot water is probablly the most efficient,because it reduces the draw on the whole grid at he same time .If you want storage it becomes a whole lot more expensive and complex.You need to remain tied to the grid because there will be times that you need supplementary power,and it is a good way to distribute excess power. I think most people dont realise that solar (pv) is really only good for relatively low current draws,stoves and hot water would draw the batteires down quickly
    Solar with 6kwh battery plus gas (infinity) h/w and gas cooktops (the ovens are still electric) is working ok for me, short term the economics are less than ideal but I am hoping long term it will be better.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

  10. #25
    Join Date
    3rd October 2006 - 21:21
    Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Location
    in the hot sun
    Posts
    3,470
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Solar with 6kwh battery plus gas (infinity) h/w and gas cooktops (the ovens are still electric) is working ok for me, short term the economics are less than ideal but I am hoping long term it will be better.
    So you still have a mains connection? I have heard but un confirmed, that in the manawatu, if you so stand alone solar you have to compensate the council for doing so to the tune of around $10k?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

  11. #26
    Join Date
    2nd August 2008 - 08:57
    Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Location
    Morrinsville
    Posts
    2,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    So you still have a mains connection? I have heard but un confirmed, that in the manawatu, if you so stand alone solar you have to compensate the council for doing so to the tune of around $10k?
    Wait, what relevance is your electricity connection to the council?
    Giving this a quick sniff, it fails the BS test.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

  12. #27
    Join Date
    3rd October 2006 - 21:21
    Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Location
    in the hot sun
    Posts
    3,470
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    Wait, what relevance is your electricity connection to the council?
    Giving this a quick sniff, it fails the BS test.
    Does sound like it doesn't it? It came about because a friend of ours just built an off the grid house in waipawa which is in the hawkes bay region, but not far north of the manawatu district. Anyhow, the solar guy that did her install told her that she was lucky not to be in manawatu because of this compensation thing you have to pay. Anyhow, may not be the council, but I don't see how it could be the power companies either. My main reason for asking Pete was to see if he would comment as it sounds like he is off the grid too...
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

  13. #28
    Join Date
    3rd February 2004 - 08:11
    Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Location
    Wallaceville, Upper hutt
    Posts
    4,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Does sound like it doesn't it? It came about because a friend of ours just built an off the grid house in waipawa which is in the hawkes bay region, but not far north of the manawatu district. Anyhow, the solar guy that did her install told her that she was lucky not to be in manawatu because of this compensation thing you have to pay. Anyhow, may not be the council, but I don't see how it could be the power companies either. My main reason for asking Pete was to see if he would comment as it sounds like he is off the grid too...
    Still grid connected, 1 to sell the surplus power back ( I think we've made about $0.50 so far) and 2, so the lights stay on when the battery runs down. The reasons for going solar were altruistic as much as anything, doing my bit to try and save the planet.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

  14. #29
    Join Date
    3rd October 2006 - 21:21
    Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Location
    in the hot sun
    Posts
    3,470
    So Pete was there anything in the way of a subsidy from the govt when you fitted the solar?
    our friend in waipawa put the solar in because it was cheaper than getting the mains bought up the drive at the time. It is not capable of running the washing machine and dishwasher at the same time at any point. This is because of the battery size and the computer controlling it. The panels however are capable of running the washing machine with no draw on the battery in full sunshine. She loves it at this stage, so it will be interesting to see how it goes in the long run...
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

  15. #30
    Join Date
    3rd February 2004 - 08:11
    Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Location
    Wallaceville, Upper hutt
    Posts
    4,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    So Pete was there anything in the way of a subsidy from the govt when you fitted the solar?
    our friend in waipawa put the solar in because it was cheaper than getting the mains bought up the drive at the time. It is not capable of running the washing machine and dishwasher at the same time at any point. This is because of the battery size and the computer controlling it. The panels however are capable of running the washing machine with no draw on the battery in full sunshine. She loves it at this stage, so it will be interesting to see how it goes in the long run...
    No subsidy from the govt, but no cost to me to install either - SolarZero.co.nz. 12 panel and a 6KwH battery/controller. A lot of people dont like the solarzero concept and tell me I'm being played for a sucker. Over the 20 years of the contract it will cost me about $30K + GST. plus the cost of any grid energy I use, less the rebate for any surplus. I will get a battery replacement at no cost mid term. A similar system from Harrisons will cost about the same up front.
    The system has only been running a full two months and the weather has been largely crap so no real data on how well it could perform.

    And this has strayed a long way from electric motorcycles!
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •