Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electric

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    No subsidy from the govt, but no cost to me to install either - SolarZero.co.nz. 12 panel and a 6KwH battery/controller. A lot of people dont like the solarzero concept and tell me I'm being played for a sucker. Over the 20 years of the contract it will cost me about $30K + GST. plus the cost of any grid energy I use, less the rebate for any surplus. I will get a battery replacement at no cost mid term. A similar system from Harrisons will cost about the same up front.
    The system has only been running a full two months and the weather has been largely crap so no real data on how well it could perform.

And this has strayed a long way from electric motorcycles!
    Here's one!
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...76635996cf-002
    in fact that is the only one I could find on trade me apart from scooters and off road....
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Now bikeless :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Still grid connected, 1 to sell the surplus power back ( I think we've made about $0.50 so far) and 2, so the lights stay on when the battery runs down. The reasons for going solar were altruistic as much as anything, doing my bit to try and save the planet.
    The blog I posted on our website a few years back still has plenty of relevant info regarding PV installations: https://www.harmlesssolutions.co.nz/...view&blog_id=7

We have since moved properties and have yet to install PV on our present lifestyle property. This is partly due to finances but also I'm waiting for storage units such as 'Powerwalls' to become more economically viable. Incidentally the PV installation on our last place was viewed as a major plus by the ingoing owner.

The ability to use your own generation rather than exporting it to grid at a fraction of its import cost remains the crux of PV viability!

Our previous 6kW PV set-up cost just over $30K in early 2012. I've seen quotes for 10kW ground mounted set-ups for a similar cost a couple of years ago and prices are still reducing.

The factors that have also changed for us are that the Nissan Leaf's battery has declined to about 75% SOH so we're looking at battery (or car) replacement in the next few years. Repurposing the old battery (if replaced) into a home storage set-up is possible. Currently we're with Ecotricity as a power supplier who have a plan suited to owners of EV & PV that includes an attractive off peak price so the Leaf is charged (by timer) from midnight on at around 16c/kWh.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    How much is a new batt setup for the Leaf?

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Naki Rat View Post
    The blog I posted on our website a few years back still has plenty of relevant info regarding PV installations: https://www.harmlesssolutions.co.nz/...view&blog_id=7

We have since moved properties and have yet to install PV on our present lifestyle property. This is partly due to finances but also I'm waiting for storage units such as 'Powerwalls' to become more economically viable. Incidentally the PV installation on our last place was viewed as a major plus by the ingoing owner.

The ability to use your own generation rather than exporting it to grid at a fraction of its import cost remains the crux of PV viability!

Our previous 6kW PV set-up cost just over $30K in early 2012. I've seen quotes for 10kW ground mounted set-ups for a similar cost a couple of years ago and prices are still reducing.

The factors that have also changed for us are that the Nissan Leaf's battery has declined to about 75% SOH so we're looking at battery (or car) replacement in the next few years. Repurposing the old battery (if replaced) into a home storage set-up is possible. Currently we're with Ecotricity as a power supplier who have a plan suited to owners of EV & PV that includes an attractive off peak price so the Leaf is charged (by timer) from midnight on at around 16c/kWh.
    We do get to use our own generation with Solarcity. Obviously they must take a portion of it. We are also with Ecotricity.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    How much is a new batt setup for the Leaf?
    From what I'm hearing we should be able to do the update for under $5K (less what we can get for the old pack). No Leafs around (in NZ) that have done it yet so a bit unknown at this stage. Nissan do a USD5,000 swap once Leafs reach a certain battery SOH but Nissan NZ aren't likely to do this, particularly as most Leafs in NZ are Jap imports.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries

Arrow

Righto then. Big (massive) difference between the first edition Leaf and the current too...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Righto then. Big (massive) difference between the first edition Leaf and the current too...
    Original ('Gen 1') Leaf had a 24kWh battery with ~120km range, update model in 2016 had 30kWh and latest model now has 40kWh with 240km range though the S Plus, SV Plus and SL Plus models have a 62 kWh battery with an EPA range of up to 364 km.

Nissan NZ is planning on selling new Leafs again but yet to see if the 62kWh models will be included in those. The pricing that the likes of Kia, Renault, Kia, Tesla model 3, and soon the Honda e will probably keep Nissan's pricing honest/competitive on the Leaf.

Bike
    2010 GSX650F
    I am beginning to wonder if battery operated cars will become the biggest white elephant of our time when the end to end cost, from mining, manufacturing, creation of electricity to charge and disposal are all taken into account.
    Perhaps the hydrogen fuel cell will be our saviour

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by imac View Post
    I am beginning to wonder if battery operated cars will become the biggest white elephant of our time when the end to end cost, from mining, manufacturing, creation of electricity to charge and disposal are all taken into account.
    Perhaps the hydrogen fuel cell will be our saviour
    Hydrogen is shit!

It takes MORE power to convert water to hydrogen to power cars than to charge electric cars and hydrogen is very dangerous to store. Meanwhile electric cars with 400+ km range are becoming more common and cheap, that is plenty enough range for most NZers. I could drive from the Waikato to Wellington with only one stop (easily) for charging in a car that has 400+ km range.

As battery electric cars become more popular there will be better recycling methods for batteries. There will also be better batteries that don't need cobalt and store more power for their weight/size. There are several designs in the works that will have less degradation so that we will have batteries that last very easily more than 20 years.

I wish I could afford a Tesla Model 3 performance - 560km range, 0-100kph in 3.4 seconds, 262kph top speed. What are the downsides of that car? It is pretty hard to find a fossil fuel burner that can match that performance and even then it just can't come close to matching the low running costs.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    New Nissan leaf does 240km on a 40kwh battery= 6km to the kwh
    average commuter does 12500km per year.

So said Nissan Leaf will use 2083kwh per year,

The average household uses 5600kwh per year.

my questions are:
    How will the infrastructure cope?
    What effect will it have on the price of power?
    Will the price of contolled power be a lot closer to the anytime price?

I wonder what the average number of vehicles commuting per household are?

I wonder if we end up with hydrogen/electric hybrids?
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    Rocket 111 Touring (2010)
    There's a large percentage of company cars in NZ where the driver gets free fuel. I can't see electric taking the place of engines when the driver has to plug them in at home and pay for their own fuel.

Sent from my HUAWEI M2-802L using Tapatalk

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Good point Flub. I wonder if they will make electric planes mandatory at the same time as cars...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FLUB View Post
    There's a large percentage of company cars in NZ where the driver gets free fuel. I can't see electric taking the place of engines when the driver has to plug them in at home and pay for their own fuel.

Sent from my HUAWEI M2-802L using Tapatalk
    This company seems to have that aspect sorted for EVs : evtalk.co.nz/tradies-encouraged-to-switch-to-evs/

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Naki Rat View Post
    This company seems to have that aspect sorted for EVs : evtalk.co.nz/tradies-encouraged-to-switch-to-evs/
    404 not found

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    They forgot to put a coin in the meter

Thread Information