Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 06 GSX-R 600 Won't Start / Charging Woes?

Bike
    A fast one

06 GSX-R 600 Won't Start / Charging Woes?

Hi all,

Background:
    I've had my 2006 GSX-R 600 for around a year and have done approximately 5,000 kms on it. It has 25,000 kms on it total and is in overall fantastic condition. It is always stored inside a garage and the outdoor ambient temperature rarely goes below 8*c, indoor probably 12*c or higher.

When I first purchased the bike around a year ago, the first thing I did was relocate the regulator/rectifier to the side mount position, as the stock position behind the radiator/next to headers is known to cause overheating problems.

In the year I've owned it, I've never had any starting issues, never had an instance where the bike has died. There have been at least half a dozen occasions where I haven't used the bike for 2-3 weeks and when I've gone to start it, it's started immediately without issue.

The Problem:
    I tried to start the bike today after not using it for around 2 and a half weeks and it immediately failed to start. The bike was left for this 2-3 week period with the key in the "off" position but key left in the ignition, killswitch in "off position" and all lights/switches off.

When trying to start it today with the key in, ignition on, in neutral and brake held in all I got was a clicking sound (the classic weak battery sound) when holding the starter button down. The fuel pump didn't prime, the gauge cluster was illuminated and the headlight was very weak.

I checked all of the fuses and they are fine.

I tried bump starting it, but it didn't work and after a few attempts the gauge cluster stopped illuminating completely.

I then used a car to jump-start it and it started fine while attached to the jumper leads; after waiting 30 seconds I then removed the jumper leads and the bike died and wouldn't start on its own.

I reconnected the jumper leads, started the bike and left it connected and running for about 2 minutes. I then removed the jumper leads and the bike continued running for about 2 minutes before it died and again, wouldn't start on its own.

I've now gone out and purchased a battery charger and am waiting for it to charge. The battery (lead acid type) is approximately 4,000 kms or around 4 years old.

Question:
    Is this simply a flat battery from lack of use or is there something wrong with the charging system eg: regulator/rectifier and/or stator? If the latter, how can I go about testing these?

Bike
    motocompo
    It was a flat battery to start with, but you may have spiked the regulator by taking the leads off with it running & a near flat battery.
    Charge the battery, check the voltage & record it, fire it up, check the voltage & record it, turn the headlamp on with it running, check the voltage & record it & come to your own conclusions.
    If the battery is yellow & four years old then you have done well.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    4 years is 2 years longer than I got out of my last 2 yellow ones, I would replace it anyway, my thought is always for how hard the charge
    circuit components are working supporting a tired battery and which is easier and cheaper to replace.
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    Dont have one now
    New battery time

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    The problem is you have had a bike for a year and only done 5,000ks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    A fast one
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    The problem is you have had a bike for a year and only done 5,000ks.
    Haha tell me about it

Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    It was a flat battery to start with, but you may have spiked the regulator by taking the leads off with it running & a near flat battery.
    Charge the battery, check the voltage & record it, fire it up, check the voltage & record it, turn the headlamp on with it running, check the voltage & record it & come to your own conclusions.
    If the battery is yellow & four years old then you have done well.
    Thanks, will give that a go and post back results.

It isn't a yellow Motobatt battery, looks like a "Katana YTX9-BS"

Bike
    A fast one
    Update:

Having charged the battery I was able to start the bike and took the following readings off the battery:

Bike off / no key inserted - 12.39 volts
    Key in, ignition on, killswitch off (ie: only lights on): 11.9 volts
    Key in, ignition on, killswitch on (ie: just after fuel pump has primed): 11.75 volts
    Bike running, only just started - 11.75 volts

At warm temperature idle around 15 minutes after starting - 11.36 volts
    At 5,000 RPM in neutral - 11.18 volts

So it sounds like the charging system isn't working correctly. What should I be doing next to diagnose things further?

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by The End View Post
    Update:

Having charged the battery I was able to start the bike and took the following readings off the battery:

Bike off / no key inserted - 12.39 volts
    Key in, ignition on, killswitch off (ie: only lights on): 11.9 volts
    Key in, ignition on, killswitch on (ie: just after fuel pump has primed): 11.75 volts
    Bike running, only just started - 11.75 volts

At warm temperature idle around 15 minutes after starting - 11.36 volts
    At 5,000 RPM in neutral - 11.18 volts

So it sounds like the charging system isn't working correctly. What should I be doing next to diagnose things further?
    Conclusion, it's not charging & needs either a stator or a reg rec.
    Probably a new battery also.
    You need to see what's coming out of the engine, usually yellow wires, I'm sure there's a test procedure somewhere on google for your specific bike.
    Or you could use the "most likely component" or "cheapest part first" method, which often results in buying parts that aren't required.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Conclusion, it's not charging & needs either a stator or a reg rec.
    Probably a new battery also.
    You need to see what's coming out of the engine, usually yellow wires, I'm sure there's a test procedure somewhere on google for your specific bike.
    Or you could use the "most likely component" or "cheapest part first" method, which often results in buying parts that aren't required.
    This.

In my 750 Gixxer the stator was burnt up, kinda was the give away. It was half black.

Bike
    A fast one
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    This.

In my 750 Gixxer the stator was burnt up, kinda was the give away. It was half black.
    Yeah from what I've read online it seems as though the reg/rec and stator are known issues for the 06 and 07 600s and 750s unfortunately.

Do you know if replacing the standard reg/rec with a mosfet one will help prevent this occurring again? (alongside a new stator and battery too?)

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by The End View Post
    Yeah from what I've read online it seems as though the reg/rec and stator are known issues for the 06 and 07 600s and 750s unfortunately.

Do you know if replacing the standard reg/rec with a mosfet one will help prevent this occurring again? (alongside a new stator and battery too?)
    Not an area I know enough about to say. My bike was converted to total loss.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Electrix world in UK seem to do good product from what I've seen. HPI ignition are expensive not sure on stators but should be good. I'd avoid Chinese copies but you might get lucky.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Electrix world in UK seem to do good product from what I've seen. HPI ignition are expensive not sure on stators but should be good. I'd avoid Chinese copies but you might get lucky.
    Funny you should say that, Electrexworld is my preference also. But could not find so much on their site.

In the background Electrexworld and HPI seem to share a lot of stuff. On the self generating race ign stuff we use, the same CDI boxes, and rotors in play on the two brands, just different stators. Electrexworld brought their stator production in house. We have found them to be very reliable (to the point we switched out all HPI race stators across 5 bikes). They have a slightly different winding count which gives a different advance retard curve, but the performance pans out very much the same on the TZs.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    Funny you should say that, Electrexworld is my preference also. But could not find so much on their site.

In the background Electrexworld and HPI seem to share a lot of stuff. On the self generating race ign stuff we use, the same CDI boxes, and rotors in play on the two brands, just different stators. Electrexworld brought their stator production in house. We have found them to be very reliable (to the point we switched out all HPI race stators across 5 bikes). They have a slightly different winding count which gives a different advance retard curve, but the performance pans out very much the same on the TZs.
    I noticed HPi were re manufacturing Krober stuff either that or selling them for someone else.
    https://www.hpi.be/pitsch.php
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information