Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blind Spot Therapy

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Blind Spot Therapy

Dude pulls out to overtake a car that's turning left. Dude hits a car that pulls out from the side road.

When you wonder why that person pulled out in front of you, maybe thinking about what they can see when they pulled out is a good idea.

I guess you can at least tell yourself that it wasn't your fault, but fault doesn't mean much to the broken arm, broken leg and ruptured spleen you received while being right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Overtaking.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	342174

You're welcome.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Dude pulls out to overtake a car that's turning left. Dude hits a car that pulls out from the side road.

When you wonder why that person pulled out in front of you, maybe thinking about what they can see when they pulled out is a good idea.

I guess you can at least tell yourself that it wasn't your fault, but fault doesn't mean much to the broken arm, broken leg and ruptured spleen you received while being right.

You're welcome.
    That right their is road craft 101.

I've been surprised by similar incidents in the past but, fortunately, not broken.

Developing a habit to realise blind spots ahead and slow accordingly is quite difficult until you've stained your kecks IMHO.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    This came from Rapid Training in the UK - it is on their Facebook page as well.

Something worth thinking about when using round-abouts...

Rapid Training
    4 June at 02:14

"SMIDSY"

When you hear those immortal words they stay with you forever, "Sorry Mate I Didn't See You" there's a chance they are telling the truth.

We talked about HGV blindspots last time and we can see the extra mirrors and sometimes camera that have installed. We don't have that on cars in general, and as the pictures show the "A" pillars are getting wider. The A pillars on my first car a little (proper) mini were like a HB pencil, these days they're full of safety equipments to help keep the driver safe.

When you're approaching from the right, as per the roundabout sketch, there's a chance you could be "tracking" through that A pillar blind spot. Be conscious of the speed of vehicles approaching the roundabout and adjust accordingly.

Yes, they should give way but it's one thing to be right, another to be DEAD right 💀

Unfortunately I can't copy the two photos or the diagram - they illustrate the issue of a thick A-pillar of a car hiding a motorcyclist.

Bike
    suzuki
    doesn't the law say no passing on an intersection?

Bike
    S1000RR
    Driver in the blue car must be a tourist..!! Damn those Asian drivers killing innocent kiwis!

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Driver in the blue car must be a tourist..!! Damn those Asian drivers killing innocent kiwis!
    Blue car - Australian more likely, Asians only drive white or silver cars. Bloody Aussies hitting motorcyclists.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I see a young looking lady on a L plates on a bike most mornings on my way to work (I'm in the car).

This morning there was a particularly slow car a couple in front of me - I just relax at this shit now, but the L platter was right up my tail on the far left. Even a couple of warning taps on the brakes didn't deter her silly ways - indeed she decided to undertake at speed three of us.

Unfortunate as she looks very nice in her riding gear. Be a shame to see her limping around with a permanently fucked up leg in the future.

Is it legal to undertake?

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I see a young looking lady on a L plates on a bike most mornings on my way to work (I'm in the car).

This morning there was a particularly slow car a couple in front of me - I just relax at this shit now, but the L platter was right up my tail on the far left. Even a couple of warning taps on the brakes didn't deter her silly ways - indeed she decided to undertake at speed three of us.

Unfortunate as she looks very nice in her riding gear. Be a shame to see her limping around with a permanently fucked up leg in the future.

Is it legal to undertake?
    if you are in seperate lane or if you are stopped its legal to overtake on the left.I think there is another proviso too..There is another name for this phenonoma but i cant remember it
    You are hiding from that blue car because the car you are overtaking blocks their view,another reason why suvs are anti social.A normal car would let a motorcyclist see over the top and an observant blue car driver might see the upper torso and head of the motorcyclist

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    ... You are hiding from that blue car because the car you are overtaking blocks their view, another reason why suvs are anti social.A normal car would let a motorcyclist see over the top and an observant blue car driver might see the upper torso and head of the motorcyclist
    Also why tinted windows are not helpful... not being able to "see through" a vehicle.

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    This came from Rapid Training in the UK - it is on their Facebook page as well.

Something worth thinking about when using round-abouts...

Rapid Training
    4 June at 02:14

"SMIDSY"

When you hear those immortal words they stay with you forever, "Sorry Mate I Didn't See You" there's a chance they are telling the truth.

We talked about HGV blindspots last time and we can see the extra mirrors and sometimes camera that have installed. We don't have that on cars in general, and as the pictures show the "A" pillars are getting wider. The A pillars on my first car a little (proper) mini were like a HB pencil, these days they're full of safety equipments to help keep the driver safe.

When you're approaching from the right, as per the roundabout sketch, there's a chance you could be "tracking" through that A pillar blind spot. Be conscious of the speed of vehicles approaching the roundabout and adjust accordingly.

Yes, they should give way but it's one thing to be right, another to be DEAD right 💀

Unfortunately I can't copy the two photos or the diagram - they illustrate the issue of a thick A-pillar of a car hiding a motorcyclist.

Yep, like the old saying goes "never assume they've seen you".

But even if there is a "chance" they didn't see us because of A pillars or blindspots, drivers still pull out in front of bikes and cars on the regular. Personal experience has taught me that drivers simply do not want to give way or stop at intersections or roundabouts, so they drive full speed ahead. When they aren't locked on to the car in front of them, and actually do look at me, they make the bad call that they can "still make it through before me" and pull out in front, or because they're in a metal cage with airbags, they just barge in front anyway because they can. Whenever I see a car approaching a roundabout, I "adjust accordingly" because I know that a fair amount of drivers won't be doing the same.

There's an even older saying "Always assume everyone else on the road is an idiot out to kill you", it's effectively universally applicable regardless of the chance "SMIDSY" may be the truth.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Looking forward to the thread about remembering to put your foot down when you come to a stop.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Looking forward to the thread about remembering to put your foot down when you come to a stop.
    Decades ago I was riding with a mate, we came to a red traffic light and stopped, then he and his bike fell over. He forgot to put a foot down .....

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

You're welcome.
    what does the broken white line at the intersection mean? i know the road code reasonably well but this miust be something i'm missing?

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    what does the broken white line at the intersection mean? i know the road code reasonably well but this miust be something i'm missing?
    I heard someone on the radio saying that in a lot of countries overseas the road marking convention is that if a line is broken you?re allowed to drive over it, if it?s solid you?re not - can?t be bothered googling to confirm so take with grain of salt.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    The centre line? It means nothing in that picture. You will generally find that the white line on the main road at an intersection should be solid to highlight the fact it is an intersection (MOTSAM Part 2 section 3.02) and where intersections are concerned certain road rules apply.

Part 2.7 of the Road User Rule states that:

A driver must not pass or attempt to pass on the right of another vehicle moving in the same direction when-
    (a) approaching or crossing an intersection unless-
    (i) the roadway is marked in lanes and the driver can make the movement without the driver?s vehicle encroaching on a lane available for opposing traffic; or
    (ii) in any other case, the driver can make the movement with safety and with due consideration for users of the intersecting road; or.......

Interpret (ii) how you want.

Broken white limit line indicates the picture is probably from the UK.

Thread Information