Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: soemthing to do with floowing too close maybe?

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Read your other post, very sorry you've lost 3 mates this year. Take care.
    always try to, but the part of the brain that forgets to grow up still fights the ageing body...
    none of my mates were in group rides tho the most recent was behind other unknowns, one was entity on her own in the middle of know were...
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    but Mike I asume did not have a clear view and went down the side of the 2 bikes in front, they went down and mike went headon into a oncomming car....
    That's the key to the gold that a decent following distance provides.

If you follow too close, you reduce your view, and reduce your time to react to the unpredictable.

You also make yourself harder for people to see.

Bike
    Pani
    Was riding down 16 on the weekend when someone from a group we passed decided to tag along with ours, unsettling to have a bike who I didnt know riding too close of my hip especially as we were booking it. I think its a bad habit formed early in ones riding career, best to keep well back and off to one side. As for the Harley riders that got skittled, sympathies to the families but generally I have found Harleys to be porky, rather noisy obstructions with pretty bad try hard riders especially with the sit up and beg style when they try to go quick. The bikes sound ok its just the bum flaps vibrating in their arseless leather chaps thats so unpleasant.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    A sizeable proportion of cagers and bikers alike are so clueless that they don't even notice what they're doing. We see them closing up in our mirrors, hassling to pass, passing, then closing up on the next poor schmuck to do it all again.

Some are such nutjobs that they disagree it's an issue even when it is pointed out to them, with graphic evidence if necessary and maybe a layman's explanation of inertia. Worse still, those types probably need more thinking time than most ... which makes tailgaters even scarier.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    A sizeable proportion of cagers and bikers alike are so clueless that they don't even notice what they're doing. We see them closing up in our mirrors, hassling to pass, passing, then closing up on the next poor schmuck to do it all again.

Some are such nutjobs that they disagree it's an issue even when it is pointed out to them, with graphic evidence if necessary and maybe a layman's explanation of inertia. Worse still, those types probably need more thinking time than most ... which makes tailgaters even scarier.
    Worse, it's a reinforced habit. They gain advantage from harassing the cars ahead, who at times get out of their way. And because it has never gone wrong for them, they don't see anything wrong with doing it, consciously or not.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Worse, it's a reinforced habit. They gain advantage from harassing the cars ahead, who at times get out of their way. And because it has never gone wrong for them, they don't see anything wrong with doing it, consciously or not.
    so when someone is travelling a decent amount below the limit, there's no easy passing are you supposed to sit in behind for miles and miles and let the cunts force you to be bored shitless, lose concentration and get irritated. i'm well over cunts who think that the only crime there will ever be on this countries roads is exceeding the speed limit, whereas it's fine to drive around twenty k's below.... I cam across a woman driving into wanganui last week at 55km's hr in an 80, when i pulled up behind she waved her arms around like it was her right to do so....

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    so when someone is travelling a decent amount below the limit, there's no easy passing are you supposed to sit in behind for miles and miles and let the cunts force you to be bored shitless, lose concentration and get irritated. i'm well over cunts who think that the only crime there will ever be on this countries roads is exceeding the speed limit, whereas it's fine to drive around twenty k's below.... I cam across a woman driving into wanganui last week at 55km's hr in an 80, when i pulled up behind she waved her arms around like it was her right to do so....
    So you missed the speed change then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Who is 'they'?
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    So you missed the speed change then?
    no not at all, know every speed change in the north island as that's the easiest things to miss and get caught. cunts like her cause major shit and should be taken off the road

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    Who is 'they'?
    Well - From my experience a significant number of the members of the Ulysses Club in Marlborough for starters. I did a number of rides with them a year or two back when I was a member and experienced this sort of behaviour on every single ride. I was at or slightly above the speed limit on every occasion and making good progress so not getting in people's way. Following way too close, trying to intimidate others out of their way and passing on solid yellow lines were all par for the course.

They simply saw nothing wrong with what they were doing...

I no longer ride with them - I made the mistake of believing that being over 40 might make them better at this sort of thing. Sadly I was very wrong.
    Last edited by Navy Boy; 24th July 2019 at 10:42. Reason: Spooling

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Nipped up to Palmy from the Horowhenua yesterday.
    The amount of fuckers that can't maintain road speed is very noticable,makes cruise control a pain in the arse.
    On the way the wife said why are you always passing ?? She was meaning trucks and SUVs' 4x4 etc !

But yeah, drivers who speed up in passing lanes and slow right after,go back to 90 kph ,happens all the time. For this reason alone I just pass everyone, all the time.
    Just like on the bike if you are following, the larger shit (trucks and SUVs etc) you just can't see the road ahead or anything that might be about to happen ?
    Always ridden and driven this way,for eg. any reasonable lump of wood or other shit can cause big problems (esspecially on the bike).

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    no not at all, know every speed change in the north island as that's the easiest things to miss and get caught. cunts like her cause major shit and should be taken off the road
    Thank you for your insight, Jelly.

Bike
    XR650R
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Nipped up to Palmy from the Horowhenua yesterday.
    The amount of fuckers that can't maintain road speed is very noticable,
    But yeah, drivers who speed up in passing lanes and slow right after,go back to 90 kph ,happens all the time. For this reason alone I just pass everyone, all the time.
    Just like on the bike if you are following, the larger shit (trucks and SUVs etc) you just can't see the road ahead or anything that might be about to happen ?).
    I find these people very annoying, they slow down unnecessarily, except in passing lanes where they seem to subconsciously speed up as there few brain cells still awake, are saying ' it's more spacious now = safer to go faster .
    the other bunch that drive me crazy are the lane hogs that "buddy up", stopping anyone passing on dual carriageways, it's hard to resist ramming them off the road sometimes!
    but patience generally rules , till I get the opportunity to blast pass em, which is what I do with those strange odd people who follow anything going ridiculously slow such as tractors, harvesters etc , I mean what is up with them, they'll sit there causing a massive traffic jam behind them not passing even when it's clear to do so......

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporary-Kiwi View Post
    I find these people very annoying, they slow down unnecessarily, except in passing lanes where they seem to subconsciously speed up as there few brain cells still awake, are saying ' it's more spacious now = safer to go faster .
    the other bunch that drive me crazy are the lane hogs that "buddy up", stopping anyone passing on dual carriageways, it's hard to resist ramming them off the road sometimes!
    but patience generally rules , till I get the opportunity to blast pass em, which is what I do with those strange odd people who follow anything going ridiculously slow such as tractors, harvesters etc , I mean what is up with them, they'll sit there causing a massive traffic jam behind them not passing even when it's clear to do so......
    Yep - On the South Island this is particularly prevalent and the stretch of SH1 heading South from Picton being a classic example of where you see this. Thankfully there are a few overtaking spots away from the passing lanes which you need to utilise on a bike if you want to avoid this sort of crappy driving.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Open road driving skills are generally abysmal. Not sure if they are taught at all when people learn to drive?

What annoys me most when I'm driving is people travelling just below the limit who follow the vehicle in front, make no attempt to overtake and leave no gap, especially if it's a truck.

Highway 27 is a nightmare. I avoid it as much as possible.

Thread Information