Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: soemthing to do with floowing too close maybe?

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I spent some time today drilling into each of the motorcycle crashes on SH75 in the last 20 years or so.

Surprising how many bikes have overtaken and come to grief against something coming the other way. I bet they thought it was clear to overtake.

Those crashes were second only to leaving the road on the exit to a bend.

It's easy to blame everyone else, but most I looked at were down to us.
    have you had a look in to the one down here in Fairfax last year, apparently there is some very good evidence in that one and shows how things go bad very quickly.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    have you had a look in to the one down here in Fairfax last year, apparently there is some very good evidence in that one and shows how things go bad very quickly.
    When I get to work on Monday

Bike
    XR650R
    [QUOTE=nerrrd;1131137629]So 'driver ability' is pushing the boundaries of the road code as far as you see fit so long as you don't crash?
    not what I was trying to say, I have to admit to only commenting on the initial overtake ( didnt watch the whole video at first) i was trying to point out that there wasnt anything 'dangerous' in that manouver by the motorcycles, they just didn't stay on the 'legal' side of the double yellow lines.
    while illegal, being over the double yellow lines isn't particularly dangerous on a motorcycle, as it's only a slight adjustment which takes a very small amount of time to correct, in many placements of these lines, its obvious that they are not placed there because it's dangerous for a motorcycle to overtake, they are placed to show vehicles that have a much slower amount of acceleration ( as well as being much wider) there isn't enough space for them to overtake safely.
    I say that without reference to having 100mtrs clear space after the overtake, as many sportbikes don't even require a 100mtrs to accomplish an overtaking procedure

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporary-Kiwi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    So 'driver ability' is pushing the boundaries of the road code as far as you see fit so long as you don't crash?
    not what I was trying to say, I have to admit to only commenting on the initial overtake ( didnt watch the whole video at first) i was trying to point out that there wasnt anything 'dangerous' in that manouver by the motorcycles, they just didn't stay on the 'legal' side of the double yellow lines.
    while illegal, being over the double yellow lines isn't particularly dangerous on a motorcycle, as it's only a slight adjustment which takes a very small amount of time to correct, in many placements of these lines, its obvious that they are not placed there because it's dangerous for a motorcycle to overtake, they are placed to show vehicles that have a much slower amount of acceleration ( as well as being much wider) there isn't enough space for them to overtake safely.
    I say that without reference to having 100mtrs clear space after the overtake, as many sportbikes don't even require a 100mtrs to accomplish an overtaking procedure
    I hope you’re right, I’m not qualified to judge the ‘abilities’ of you or your bike, but you’re sure making a lot of assumptions about how predictably the rest of the traffic is going to behave during those manoeuvres, especially the ‘crap’ drivers, some of whom will quite possibly have had that crap scared out of them by a screaming sportsbike suddenly appearing out of nowhere.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    FFS guys... Its not about if its IYO safe to cross yellow lines... Its illegal simple as that, no arguing that's the law... And remember, cage drivers may not under stand your idea of it being safe to pass... So all its going to do is get their backs up
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1

soemthing to do with floowing too close maybe?

A while ago a car coming the other way nearly drove into a ditch AFTER I was back on my side of the road. Probably looked up from their phone and took a while to react.

Bike
    XR650R
    I've personally seen the reactions of oncoming drivers to a motorcycle coming at them head-on, & no - it wasnt me, I was traveling over the haywards hill road ( from the hutt side) just on dusk, as i came up behind a fella on a norton commando on my cbr600, as soon as he saw me, he gunned it to not allow me to pass, he must have disliked the idea of a japbike passing him 'real bad' as he went berserk, he went as fast as he could , and just stayed on the opposite side of the road ( even on blind corners) passing the considerable amounts of traffic, as cars coming the other way saw him they were vearing onto the verge to get out of his way, he just swerved closer to the cars he was overtaking, I followed him by blasting past cars when gaps in the oncoming traffic arose.
    on a long downhill straight I managed to pass him , basicly because I wanted to stop him from killing himself or someone else , he is the craziest motorcycle rider I've ever seen, but it was an eye opening experience as to what is possible all the same

Bike
    It was on the good
    on a long downhill straight I managed to pass him , basicly because I wanted to stop him from killing himself or someone else
    Most excellent logic young man.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I've personally seen the reactions of oncoming drivers to a motorcycle coming at them head-on, & no - it wasnt me, I was traveling over the haywards hill road ( from the hutt side) just on dusk, as i came up behind a fella on a norton commando on my cbr600, as soon as he saw me, he gunned it to not allow me to pass, he must have disliked the idea of a japbike passing him 'real bad' as he went berserk, he went as fast as he could , and just stayed on the opposite side of the road ( even on blind corners) passing the considerable amounts of traffic, as cars coming the other way saw him they were vearing onto the verge to get out of his way, he just swerved closer to the cars he was overtaking, I followed him by blasting past cars when gaps in the oncoming traffic arose.
    on a long downhill straight I managed to pass him , basicly because I wanted to stop him from killing himself or someone else , he is the craziest motorcycle rider I've ever seen, but it was an eye opening experience as to what is possible all the same
    Probably a Yank. There's any number of YouTube videos from the US like that.

At least you would have been spared the wheelies while overtaking!

Bike
    suzuki
    basicly because I wanted to stop him from killing himself or someone else
    what a good cunt you are, you're not mother teresa's son are you?

Bike
    suzuki
    [QUOTE=Temporary-Kiwi;1131137688]
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    as many sportbikes don't even require a 100mtrs to accomplish an overtaking procedure
    at a hundred km an hour you cover 100 meters in 3.6 seconds, show me any mortal being that can safely or even sanely complete a pass in that timeframe.

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    [QUOTE=jellywrestler;1131137716]

at a hundred km an hour you cover 100 meters in 3.6 seconds, show me any mortal being that can safely or even sanely complete a pass in that timeframe.
    and at speed on a corner

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...lectedIndex=66
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    suzuki
    [QUOTE=Subike;1131137719]
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    the difference is with wankers who use the streets as a race track is they're out having a fang, totally concentrating on what's going on, the car drivers however are just getting from A to B, not interested in the drive, got plenty of distractions in the car and when someone does a valentino rossi on them they can react in many different ways.....
    the footage of the head on on the auckland motorway this week where someone drove onto the motorway the wrong way showed despite a clear veiw in front, the person in the right appeared to do no braking whatsoever, yip it's not expected to see a car coming head on on a one way motorway but it seems this person was in autopilot.

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    [QUOTE=jellywrestler;1131137722]
    Quote Originally Posted by Subike View Post

the difference is with wankers who use the streets as a race track is they're out having a fang, totally concentrating on what's going on, the car drivers however are just getting from A to B, not interested in the drive, got plenty of distractions in the car and when someone does a valentino rossi on them they can react in many different ways.....
    the footage of the head on on the auckland motorway this week where someone drove onto the motorway the wrong way showed despite a clear veiw in front, the person in the right appeared to do no braking whatsoever, yip it's not expected to see a car coming head on on a one way motorway but it seems this person was in autopilot.
    but you did ask to see one mortal that could do it, and you were not specific ,
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    he went berserk, he went as fast as he could , and just stayed on the opposite side of the road ( even on blind corners) passing the considerable amounts of traffic, as cars coming the other way saw him they were vearing onto the verge to get out of his way, he just swerved closer to the cars he was overtaking, I followed him by blasting past cars when gaps in the oncoming traffic arose.
    I doubt you would make a difference to that riders attitude. Probably better to have let it go.

Yep i have observed some scary stuff done, passing in opposite lane with on coming traffic. Turning corner blinding going wide into on coming lane. I predicted the wide path and moved over. The list goes on... however it's the case with all road users not just mbike riders.

If you are going to try something make sure no one else is around. If you stuff it up. You have only yourself to blame.

I always think of the double yellow lines as a wall. But keep in mind it's an option to cross it. If required.

Remember most others dont use the road like you do(and or with the skill you have). Most are only intent on doing what they need to do. Not a care in the world for someone else.

I used to flash the lights (you sickos) to other users who didn't have their headlights on when it was dark. I did forget once or twice when I started out, Now I dont bother.

READ AND UDESTAND

Thread Information