Thread: Bike Leathers - dying / colour change

Bike
    1996 registered 97 Kawasaki ZX9R B4!

Bike Leathers - dying / colour change

Hi,

I recently got some used (but essentailly brand new) leather gear, its Kawasaki branded and is predominately black, but has some white and green and grey on it. The green on the knees sticks out like dogs balls, and I am wanting to recolour the green on the knees to be black instead.
    It doesnt have to match 100% to the other black, as a contrasting black would look fine.
    Does anyone know of any products available in NZ which can easily recolour leather?
    I have seen a few which are more designed for repair or undyed leather, as apposed to going over top of an existing colour.
    Given its going black, maybe its not a big issue.

Anyone in the know?

I did contact a local place who said they could do it, but they wanted $150 just to recolour the knees, and at this stage I am not prepared to pay that given the size of the area in question, plus I would prefer to do it myself if at all possible.

Thanks

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    black dubbin ?

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Do you have a cobbler near by? A proper old fashioned cobbler?

If you do, go and have a chat to them about changing the colour, it's likely a cobbler has had experience of changing the colour of leather.

Just a thought...

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Many years ago I did a pair of boots from brown to black. I used a product to take out the colour and existing surface finish as much as possible, and then a proper "leather dye", then went over the top of that with a surface treatment with wax or oil or something. So there was a range of products. The shop I bought them from was in a building that was ruined by the earthquakes. It was run by a motorbike guy and was maybe called "Longhorn leather" in Christchurch?

There was a shop in New Regent Street too that did shoes.

Google gave me this:

http://www.stepout.co.nz/painting-an...yeing-leather/

And if you are in Orklind, try and track down Kerrie from Motorcycle Safety Wear. She likely knows and can point you in the right direction.

Final option: Go to whitcoulls and buy a bunch of black Vivid markers and get colouring in.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Do you have a cobbler near by? A proper old fashioned cobbler?

If you do, go and have a chat to them about changing the colour, it's likely a cobbler has had experience of changing the colour of leather.

Just a thought...
    Bang on. I have re-coloured quite a few pairs of leather shoes. You get a cleaning, colouring, polishing pack which dyes the leather. Sometimes takes a couple of treatments but is easy and effective.

Off to the cobbler OP.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Thanks everyone

Bike
    motocompo
    I've had a bit to do with this guy and his products. They are awesome & He's an absolute champ.
    Highly recommended.
    https://www.paulfordleatherproducts.co.nz

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I've had a bit to do with this guy and his products. They are awesome & He's an absolute champ.
    Highly recommended.
    https://www.paulfordleatherproducts.co.nz
    Thanks, ive emailed him

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Just a historical note.

The supplier of boots for the MoT guys and the ACC guys in Auckland was a boot factory on Mt Eden Road, Mt Eden.

I was an ACC cop, and we wore black boots. The MoT guys wore brown boots. Because there were far more MoT guys, the boots were all manufactured brown.

When us ACC guys were being issued our first ever set of bike boots we all went to the factory. They fitted us with brown boots, then spray dyed them black.

The brown never came back, took a couple of years to wear that pair out, and you'd never have known the brown was there.

When MoT took over ACC in 1991, I ended up with boots called Road Knights. Lace up, with three buckles at the top. More like bodgie boots.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Just a historical note.

The supplier of boots for the MoT guys and the ACC guys in Auckland was a boot factory on Mt Eden Road, Mt Eden.

I was an ACC cop, and we wore black boots. The MoT guys wore brown boots. Because there were far more MoT guys, the boots were all manufactured brown.

When us ACC guys were being issued our first ever set of bike boots we all went to the factory. They fitted us with brown boots, then spray dyed them black.

The brown never came back, took a couple of years to wear that pair out, and you'd never have known the brown was there.

When MoT took over ACC in 1991, I ended up with boots called Road Knights. Lace up, with three buckles at the top. More like bodgie boots.
    If you still have a pair I need some because I, well, have a fetish.....
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Thread Information