Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 60

Thread: road bike project scratch built

  1. #16
    Join Date
    20th January 2010 - 14:41
    Bike
    husaberg
    Location
    The Wild Wild West
    Posts
    9,817
    i couldn't be arsesed going to the bookshelf and scanning so i googled the one i was thinking of
    Interestingly i came up with this on the same feed
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c602cf93907624e57781409ed506da6d.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	342250Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ae9c1e8764b9e4f562325df64022c1e9.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	342247Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6e477005400737eea551b8a2bb1317bc.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	342248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0ed712d0ec959b4ccdf9f15596481f3e.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	342249Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d9d7bb6e2b54d5d557490817a6bc98d3.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	342246
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gallery asta-006.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	342245
    the CBR or what ever it is rear suspension on the last pic look real neat looks period at a glance to.



    Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

  2. #17
    Join Date
    20th January 2010 - 14:41
    Bike
    husaberg
    Location
    The Wild Wild West
    Posts
    9,817
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mmir9.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	342251
    pic that would not fit.
    I love the ducks bill etc at the back they often had spoilers on the front guard as well in the period.
    even the humble GL145 had one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1980-Moto-Martin-CBX-Front-Wheel-730x584.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	342252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3109265728_2a756772c1_z.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	342253



    Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

  3. #18
    Join Date
    28th May 2006 - 19:35
    Bike
    suzuki
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    6,857
    what's the story with compulsary ABS that's coming to all road bikes from november, how does that effect custom builds?

  4. #19
    Join Date
    5th January 2007 - 14:58
    Bike
    motocompo
    Location
    Buttfuck nowhere
    Posts
    4,643
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    what's the story with compulsary ABS that's coming to all road bikes from november, how does that effect custom builds?
    Sounds like "somebody" needs to buy a 750 or 900f with a blown engine & live rego for $500

  5. #20
    Join Date
    20th January 2010 - 14:41
    Bike
    husaberg
    Location
    The Wild Wild West
    Posts
    9,817
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Sounds like "somebody" needs to buy a 750 or 900f with a blown engine & live rego for $500
    Make it a 79 CB750K or similar for the cheap rego.



    Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

  6. #21
    Join Date
    28th May 2006 - 19:35
    Bike
    suzuki
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    6,857
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Make it a 79 CB750K or similar for the cheap rego.
    900fz were around in 1979, if it's to be done this way you'll need proof that it was on the road in a similar modified state back then, otherwise it will need low volume cert, going through the process soon with this, have magazine articles from the day so that will help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150627_151332.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	234.7 KB 
ID:	342257  

  7. #22
    Join Date
    20th January 2010 - 14:41
    Bike
    husaberg
    Location
    The Wild Wild West
    Posts
    9,817
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    900fz were around in 1979, if it's to be done this way you'll need proof that it was on the road in a similar modified state back then, otherwise it will need low volume cert, going through the process soon with this, have magazine articles from the day so that will help
    I am a bit to young to remember but i never knew that.
    https://www.cycleworld.com/honda-cb7...cs-remembered/
    I would have thought it would make the process a lot easier by using the original headstock and or frame tube that held the frame number?
    Then getting the mods certified, You used to be able to? the big iie was the powers that be used the frame to determine the basis.
    I can remember getting a bike registered with no ownership papers it used to require a letter from a JP. Something from the police as well. It was complicated back then.
    Do these new rules apply to cars as well?

    first two pics it looks like it has an outside arm pivoted in the middle unless its the fin on the cover?
    But the other pics suggest a pusher from the other side which looking at some blury pics looks to be hydraulic (middle last pic)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCB-12.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	342266Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RSC-3.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	342264Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCB-11.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	342265
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCB-13.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	342267

    i might need to look at a CBX750 but pretty sure they were hydraulic clutch as was the first VT250 so its period aceptable

    Here we go CBX750

    But to make it work you might need to use a CBX gearbox maybe cases?
    this is a thread comparing it to the newer 750 which has gone back to a cable clutch.....
    https://www.gazzz-garage.com/2017/11...ase-internals/
    https://www.gazzz-garage.com/2017/01...t1-crankcases/



    Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

  8. #23
    Join Date
    28th May 2006 - 19:35
    Bike
    suzuki
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    6,857
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I am a bit to young to remember but i never knew that.
    https://www.cycleworld.com/honda-cb7...cs-remembered/
    I would have thought it would make the process a lot easier by using the original headstock and or frame tube that held the frame number?
    Then getting the mods certified, You used to be able to? the big iie was the powers that be used the frame to determine the basis.
    I can remember getting a bike registered with no ownership papers it used to require a letter from a JP. Something from the police as well. It was complicated back then.
    Do these new rules apply to cars as well?
    low certification is not a hard process if the job is done well, the guys who are qualified to do it are clever cunts and able to sort out what will work and not, biggest issue is travelling to them as car certifiers and bike certifiers are different, not sure where the closest bike certifier is to wanganui. using the original headstock would unlikely work as i'd lay money that a gsxr of what's used here and a cb900 from the 70's or eighties is a little different in dimensions. the aim here would be for it to be 'registered' as the motor year build rather than 2019 as rego is a fraction of the cost. the other thing is to consider is the looming ABS implications as i'd mentioned earlier, but I don't know the process there, someone said november so maybe if the build is certified before then it wouldn't be a problem.....
    one of the hardest things i've found is the indicators, they must have a system that if one bulb fails that side flashes twice as fast as normal, with leds and modern flashers that's hard, i used motogadget in mine custom and despite being a top line product it didn't do that. again, i don't have to get low a low volume cert for that, and maybe the low volume certifier will turn a blind eye to that but one wouldn't want to get there and find out different.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    13th June 2010 - 17:47
    Bike
    Exercycle
    Location
    Out in the cold
    Posts
    4,956
    To go back to the original problem of the clutch arm...Without changing gearboxes etc.

    Two solutions come to mind - even without better pics.

    I'd think that moving the outer lever arm on the shaft so as to aim the cable inboard and up might work.

    The other option could be to reverse the internal cam on the clutch actuating shaft so that the cable pulls downwards - where there is room to work.
    It has become too difficult to answer PM's through the site. If you require an answer, please include an email address.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    5th January 2007 - 14:58
    Bike
    motocompo
    Location
    Buttfuck nowhere
    Posts
    4,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    To go back to the original problem of the clutch arm...Without changing gearboxes etc.

    Two solutions come to mind - even without better pics.

    I'd think that moving the outer lever arm on the shaft so as to aim the cable inboard and up might work.

    The other option could be to reverse the internal cam on the clutch actuating shaft so that the cable pulls downwards - where there is room to work.
    See I was thinking there's a heap of great twist & go engines out there that would do away with the need for a manual clutch altogether.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    28th May 2006 - 19:35
    Bike
    suzuki
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    6,857
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    See I was thinking there's a heap of great twist & go engines out there that would do away with the need for a manual clutch altogether.
    wash you fucking mouth out, twice.
    (that's if you're talking electric)

  12. #27
    Join Date
    20th January 2010 - 14:41
    Bike
    husaberg
    Location
    The Wild Wild West
    Posts
    9,817
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    wash you fucking mouth out, twice.
    (that's if you're talking electric)
    i assumed he was meaning rekluse clutch etc?



    Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

  13. #28
    Join Date
    13th June 2010 - 17:47
    Bike
    Exercycle
    Location
    Out in the cold
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    wash you fucking mouth out, twice.
    (that's if you're talking electric)
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    i assumed he was meaning rekluse clutch etc?
    He's talking CVT big scooters. I don't think they're at the point yet where you could use one as a base for a sportbike.
    Though I believe Gilera did one around 800cc.
    There's no real equivalent yet to the Porsche Tiptronic AFAIK.
    It has become too difficult to answer PM's through the site. If you require an answer, please include an email address.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    13th June 2010 - 17:47
    Bike
    Exercycle
    Location
    Out in the cold
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    wash you fucking mouth out, twice.
    (that's if you're talking electric)
    I'd have thought you'd welcome electric racing. No problems having the PA heard over the bikes, LOL.
    Plus being the only commentator with specialist knowledge....
    It has become too difficult to answer PM's through the site. If you require an answer, please include an email address.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    28th May 2006 - 19:35
    Bike
    suzuki
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    6,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I'd have thought you'd welcome electric racing. No problems having the PA heard over the bikes, LOL.
    Plus being the only commentator with specialist knowledge....
    we all have X amount of senses, on a bike there are few used that are unique to a bvike ride, the rest is emotions, sound is the most important and the only one fully triggered by riding, electric bikes throw that out of the window.... additioanlly, moving through the gears is part of the ride, take that away and no thanks. I commentated at wanaganui with yoshi kismimoto riding an electric bike, all i said was it sounds like neil ritchies, (the other commentator) hair razor.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •