Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: road bike project scratch built

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    He's talking CVT big scooters. I don't think they're at the point yet where you could use one as a base for a sportbike.
    you're forgetting one thing, honda doesn't yet make sports bikes.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    He's talking CVT big scooters. I don't think they're at the point yet where you could use one as a base for a sportbike.
    Though I believe Gilera did one around 800cc.
    There's no real equivalent yet to the Porsche Tiptronic AFAIK.
    He knows me so well
    Damo Rees was raving about the Honda DCT system to me a few weeks back, not quite ready to race yet, but better that manual by a fair stretch.
    I'm going to take his word for it, I know how he rides.

Bike
    welbike

project

Hi Guys . thanks for your input . My first idea for the clutch lever problem was to rotate it 90 degrees so its points down and run the cable horizontally along the back of the engine. and this should work ok but the cable will run a fairly torturous path. Then I spied the 1100f cover so that would be the most preferred option , although I could still possibly convert it to hydraulic.

as far as certifying for road use goes .I emailed the low volume people and asked for a list of requirements for motorcycles and bizarrely was told apart from the WOF regs there weren't any only to follow what's in the car manual and I was best to talk to a certifier. I found a certifier close by an had a good chat with him and he sounded really good . The bottom line was if you turn up with a well built motor cycle that looks like a motorcycle ie nothing like a alloy monoquoque (that had the spell check stuffed ! ) oh and don't weld castings and if it complies with all of the WOF rules there should be no problem getting it past. so my plan is to rock up with a finished bike and hope like hell he likes it . beside from some of the choppers I have seen. It cant be to hard to get a low volume cert as all you need is a length of steam pipe and a spider web gusset here and then and a skull or two for good measure !!
    Of course If they change the law making abs compulsory then I am doomed. then the bike will probably end up in the corner of my shed with a cover over it or in a car/bike museum.

The swing arm is next on the list and I am just trying to find the steel box section I want without buying a 5.5mtr length. I am trying to build this on the cheap and so far have succeeded. but it might slow down or come to a grinding halt when I need to speed real money on it. I don't have an engine yet and there are only borrowed cases so if anyone knows of one laying around please let me know also after cb switch blocks and loom etc

Originally I had wanted to put late model rolling gear on a CB ( yes the old nostalgia thing kicks ia as I had a 750 when I was 18) but when I started looking on line and while they are very cool it all been done before a million times and it wasn't really enough of a project for me . I am more interested in the project rather than having a road bike as such which is why I am not worried about having to remove the engine to do the tappets etc if the bike does 5000ks in its life I would be surprised. at this stage I don't even know if I can even get the motor out of the frame as it is very tight in there .I would be very pleasantly surprised if I can but my plan if I can't is to cut the front down tubes and make them removable if it doesn't . I should find out this week .

Regards Ian Staples

I probably will go for a electronic tacho like the early gsxr or something that looks ok out in the open so then will need a small diameter speedo that I can make work then make a binical with some small idiot lights in it ,like I said more racer than road.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Totally agree re the certifying of choppers, lol. What section/thickness are you looking for re the arm ?

I said earlier Vince Sharpe for a cover etc - try him for a motor too.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Staples View Post
    Of course If they change the law making abs compulsory then I am doomed. then the bike will probably end up in the corner of my shed with a cover over it or in a car/bike museum.

it's changing, to what extent i don't know re low volume, ask your certifier, i recall Joe Lett saying november so get it there before if it is the case.

as for complying with WOF rules the warrant of fitness people are there to essentially check that what is there functions, not that it is designed and placed correctly etc, there's a bit more to it than that, there's five pages on indicators alone, just been through the whole build thing within the guidelines, headlight heights and the indicator flashing thing i mentioned, warning lights too were about all i saw as needing attention, they won't check those at a warrant, but a certifier should,.
    and make a space for the low volume lable to be riveted on, that's something most people miss along the way then have to weld shit on afterwards.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Hahaha, your comment about engine removal reminded me of my special. Heavily braced RG250 frame with a 500 in it, I designed the rails for weldy guy to electric glue on giving me enough space to get the engine in.

He had a better idea of where the rail should really go.

Engine didn't fit.

So over several beers I took off the head (2 stroke twin), side cover and even the sump bolt. With a special rotating twist I can just get it in. But I have to get drunk to remember how to do it. So it's not all bad
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Hahaha, your comment about engine removal reminded me of my special. Heavily braced RG250 frame with a 500 in it, I designed the rails for weldy guy to electric glue on giving me enough space to get the engine in.

He had a better idea of where the rail should really go.

Engine didn't fit.

So over several beers I took off the head (2 stroke twin), side cover and even the sump bolt. With a special rotating twist I can just get it in. But I have to get drunk to remember how to do it. So it's not all bad
    Bimota solved that one with the SB2
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sb2 joint.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	342305Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sb2 in 2.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	342306
    Pretty sure the joint was based on some aircraft propriety joint
    it was call something like conical insert

Name:	Bimota-SB2-Frame.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	229.0 KB 
ID:	342298Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bimota-sb2-motorbike-with-750-suzuki-motor-in-custom-frame-J2517D.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	258.6 KB 
ID:	342299Attachment 342300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bimota-SB2-Motorcycle-Engine.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	690.2 KB 
ID:	342301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6634.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	668.8 KB 
ID:	342302
    https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Ro...tociclismo.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Exercycle
    Just a male and female taper through bolted. My emco lathe has the same to mount the chuck - just a bigger PCD.
    As a frame joint, I'd call it a tad over-engineered.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Bimota solved that one with the SB2

Name:	sb2 joint.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	342305Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sb2 in 2.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	342306
    Pretty sure the joint was based on some aircraft propriety joint
    it was call something like conical insert

Name:	Bimota-SB2-Frame.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	229.0 KB 
ID:	342298Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bimota-sb2-motorbike-with-750-suzuki-motor-in-custom-frame-J2517D.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	258.6 KB 
ID:	342299Attachment 342300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bimota-SB2-Motorcycle-Engine.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	690.2 KB 
ID:	342301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6634.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	668.8 KB 
ID:	342302
    https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Ro...tociclismo.htm
    it would take longer to do a U turn on an SB2 than it did to take the bike apart to do the tappets nearly, steering lock was about the worst on any motorcycle. they learnt and my SB3 has a chunk out of the frame to let the forks turn a bit more....

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    it would take longer to do a U turn on an SB2 than it did to take the bike apart to do the tappets nearly, steering lock was about the worst on any motorcycle. they learnt and my SB3 has a chunk out of the frame to let the forks turn a bit more....
    Such details are all part of the Italian experience.
    if functionality was the main concern you would have bought a Honda
    Other than a Manta or a bb Single i don't think i have seen a Bimota i haven't lusted after.
    I used to think the SB2 and 3 were ugly but i really like them now.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Such details are all part of the Italian experience.
    if functionality was the main concern you would have bought a Honda
    Other than a Manta or a bb Single i don't think i have seen a Bimota i haven't lusted after.
    I used to think the SB2 and 3 were ugley but i really like them now.
    Rod Coleman had always wanted an Italian bike but new they were finicky fuckers, when he was in the states he saw the SB3 I own and grabbed it to tick that one off his list, it's a magic thing to ride too

Bike
    welbike

swing arm

Hi Guys . I am going to build a steel triangulated swing arm But the problem I have is I can't get the rectangular erw I want . I can get 51x32 x2 Which may look a but small or 62 x35x2 ( I have a short piece of ) but it looks a bit chunky, It would probably be ok if it wasn't triangulated The size I really want is 57x35 but they don't make it any more. Looking at photos of 80s kit bikes I would probably lean towards the 51x35. Also not sure weather to use round or box for the triangulation.
    Got the motor out but had to cut one front down tube as expected

Regards Ian

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Staples View Post
    Hi Guys . I am going to build a steel triangulated swing arm But the problem I have is I can't get the rectangular erw I want . I can get 51x32 x2 Which may look a but small or 62 x35x2 ( I have a short piece of ) but it looks a bit chunky, It would probably be ok if it wasn't triangulated The size I really want is 57x35 but they don't make it any more. Looking at photos of 80s kit bikes I would probably lean towards the 51x35. Also not sure weather to use round or box for the triangulation.
    Got the motor out but had to cut one front down tube as expected

Regards Ian
    I guess you want to make your own?
    I've got a gs1200ss one you could make look like yours, alloy rectangular.

Bike
    husaberg
    always liked the look of these but depends of what suspension you are going to use
    zrx 400-1200

Name:	Kawasaki-ZRX-1200-Swingarm.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	342354Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0905_zrx_02 (1).jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	342356
    reminds me of these

Name:	146_9910_14zoom+kawasaki_zrx1100+right-2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	342355

That morwaki i posted at the start has very interesting swingarms
    although not in the pic i posted lol

Name:	b59a762e3ce6bfcba8079e7fc96a9498.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	342357
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    welbike
    rear suspension is a copy of the xr69 Suzuki. The bimota had quit a small box section for it's swing arm and no triangulation and its very long. from memory in the day some thought that was a problem.
    I always loved the bimotas and had a magazine I kept for years with the KB2 which I thought was the most beautiful piece of engineering.

Regards Ian in the world

Thread Information